Looking back...Skip Bayless is such a dramatic tool

Billzfan23

So would it have made you feel better if they took Robert Woods in the first and EJ in the second?

Or, as I have mentioned before, Kiko in the 1st and EJ/Woods in the 2nd? Because Kiko is clearly playing at #16 overall level or better. Keuchly was taken #9 overall the year before and Kiko is at his level as a rookie. Also, no one knows if they could have gotten him in the 2nd. That is pure speculation. There are at least 2 teams that said after the draft they were interested in drafting EJ early, Phil and Cleveland. So if he's your guy, you take him. I have no issue with where he was drafted. Edited by YoloInTheBlo

Does EJ have a strong arm? I thought he did.....but they both agreed near the end of the clip that he doesn't.

I'm so confused now.

How much scouting do you think either of these clowns did on EJ? They have no clue. If they take a chance and say a QB doesn't have a "strong arm" to make their point and then it turns out he actually does, they can just say "well, I was comparing him to Aaron Rogers there..."

So would it have made you feel better if they took Robert Woods in the first and EJ in the second?

If they're going in that direction, why not trade down from 14th overall; so as to take EJ + some other player? The player we got from the first Manuel-related trade-down (Kiko) worked out okay. Why not go for two trade-downs?

If they're going in that direction, why not trade down from 14th overall; so as to take EJ + some other player? The player we got from the first Manuel-related trade-down (Kiko) worked out okay. Why not go for two trade-downs?

Anyway, I'm glad things worked out the way they did. Another trade could've change the whole dynamic of the rest of the 1st round, perhaps even impacting the way players were picked in the 2nd. Heck, we could've ended up packaging our 2nds to jump back into the 1st and then perhaps no Kiko, who may end up being our best pick in the 2013 draft.

Or, as I have mentioned before, Kiko in the 1st and EJ/Woods in the 2nd? Because Kiko is clearly playing at #16 overall level or better. Keuchly was taken #9 overall the year before and Kiko is at his level as a rookie. Also, no one knows if they could have gotten him in the 2nd. That is pure speculation. There are at least 2 teams that said after the draft they were interested in drafting EJ early, Phil and Cleveland. So if he's your guy, you take him. I have no issue with where he was drafted.

It really is that simple. No need to pussyfoot around if you like a player. They got great value on their first three picks, regardless of where they were selected. Can't ask for more at this point.

GO BILLS!!!

No offense but I don't understand how anyone can take Bayless seriously. He's just a character on TV who's paid to stir people up, kind of like Bill O'Reilly. I'm guessing he may believe some of the crap that comes out of his mouth but don't take people like that too seriously, they get paid well to get under people's skin. That's why they're employed. Take the Skips and the O'Riellys of this world for what their true value is... ridiculous entertainment for those that like to get riled up.

Skip is an example of passes for sports journalism today. Guys and gals who have accomplished anything other than rendering opinions based not in fact but what the feel or think. Give me a guy like Larry Felser or Jim Kelly every time.

Do we keep having to have this discussion? They traded down and got the guy that they wanted.Some say that they could have kept trading down and gotten him later, but who's to say that a team that wanted EJ wouldn't jump up and take him in the later parts of the first round, where the cost is much cheaper to do so? They got the guy they wanted and Kiko Alonso thrown in. Everything else is just nonsense at this point. You can write a book about QBs that people thought you would have been crazy to draft in the first round, but turned out to be superstars. Will EJ be one of them? I hope so. So far I've seen enough to determine, in my mind, that the pick wasn't a wasted pick.

I think Fox, ESPN, etc...should have to host a "post-season" show where their rants about pre-draft results are stacked up against real first season game statistics....for example, "EJ is a late second, third round" and just work from there. I would watch it every year. I might even DVR it as "must see TV"

I like the part where Bay-more goes on and on about how it was "unfair to the kid" (EJ) that he was drafted in the first round.

Looking forward, Skip Bayless is a dramatic tool, too.

Hahahaha, Good one Tom! To complete the thought by paraphrasing the late great Mitch Hedberg, 'Skip Bayless used to be a dramatic tool. He's still a dramatic tool, but he used to be one, too.'

I wish there was a show that called out all of these idiots and went back and reviewed what they said and what they predicted. How often are these guys right if ever? That would be a fun show to watch

Talk Soup for "Sports Experts".. I like it.

Sure, the jury is still out on what the Bills got in EJ. But this drivel was WAY over the top, especially by Skip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxrjajikasU

I don't think Manuel has been very impressive. Even his game against the Jets needs to be put in perspective. The Jets run D is elite but his individual performance against them was par for the course for the Jets pass defense. He has a lot of physical potential to tap into......and I believe they think his mind and leadership qualities are elite so I won't be surprised if he turns into a stud but I haven't seen enough to this point to say I wouldn't want them to go back to round 1 for a QB.

That said, if Manuel was the top QB on their board then they made the right decision to draft him in round 1. I am all for maximizing the value of your draft picks but not really when it comes to QB. If you think he can be a star QB for you then he is worthy of a first round pick even if others may not see him as a first round pick.

I don't think Manuel has been very impressive. Even his game against the Jets needs to be put in perspective. The Jets run D is elite but his individual performance against them was par for the course for the Jets pass defense. .....

Perspective? Par for the course?

Brady(2nd game) 22-46-228-0-1 (4 sack for 23 yds) QBR 53.5

Freeman 15-31-210-1-1 (3 sacks for 25 yds) QBR 67.9

Brady(1st game) 19-39-185-1-0 (1 sack for 7 yds) QBR 71.0

Manuel(1st game) 19-42-243-1-0 (8 sacks for 85 yds) QBR 71.8

Brees 30-51-382-2-2 (2 sacks for 16 yds) QBR 79.0

Flacco 17-26-273-1-1 (4 sacks for 28 yds) QBR 97.1

Ryan 36-45-319-2-0 (2 sacks for 12 yds) QBR 113.1

Roethlisberger 23-30-264-1-0 (4 sacks for 24 yds) QBR 113.8

Manuel(1st game) 20-28-245-2-0 (1 sack for 0 yds) QBR 121.9

Locker/Fitz 21-32-257-4-0 (2 sacks for 13 yds) QBR 131.9

Dalton 19-30-325-5-1 (1 sack for 2 yds) QBR 141.7

Achieved in his 7th start and without his #1 & #2 WRs. It doesn't prove he is going to be good, bad or mediocre.....but please don't downplay his good performances.

Achieved in his 7th start and without his #1 & #2 WRs. It doesn't prove he is going to be good, bad or mediocre.....but please don't downplay his good performances.

For some reason, folks seem to only focus on the negative with EJ and ignore the positive. Shouldn't it be a great sign that he rebounded in such an impressive way against the team he had maybe his worst start against? What about his 296 against maybe the best defense in the NFL in Carolina ( 6th ranked pass defense)? How about him having a better than QBR than Brady head to head and much better than Peyton did against a NE defense that was missing a ton of defensive starters?

EJ is a work in progress. His learning curve was significantly hurt by missing the first 2 weeks of training camp and another month during the season. I just don't really understand people's expectations. He currently has a 2 td to 1 int ratio. What's the Jets' record if their QB could do that?

I have no idea if EJ will turn into a franchise QB or not. I do know that most fans don't have patience anymore. Rookies are going to struggle. If the Bills draft a QB next year, he will have his struggles. But given that Marrone has made very average talents like Nassib, Lewis, and Tuel look like NFL QBs, I feel he can do good things with an elite talent like Manuel. But it's going to take some time.

It was the 16th pick, but accuracy isn't that important.

I don't understand what this is? What is the first game second game stuff?

We don't know whether they indeed did try to trade down again. There may not have been any teams who would trade with them or they weren't satisfied with what they would get in return and had to stay where they were.

• 2 weeks later...