RGIII uproar & apology

simpleman

I guess I don’t see these comments by RGIII as that selfish or passing the blame. He accepts blame for the bad throw that was intercepted. He did say that he felt the Eagles out schemed them, but maybe they did. I just don’t see how his team was so outraged by his comments. If a Bill had said the same things, would you be upset? Discuss!

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/redskins-rg3-clears-air-moss-213248223--nfl.html

Quoting from Yahoo sports:

Regarding the interception, he said Sunday: ''We had a certain concept we were running, and nobody got open so I was backing up, and in the situation where you get a sack there, it ends the game. I was trying to throw the ball to the back of the end zone. It didn't get to where I wanted it to go.''

Regarding the Eagles in general, he said after the game: ''They did a good job of scheming us up. Obviously, we were able to run the ball effectively, but in the passing game, they kind of had us. They kind of knew what was coming before it was coming and, like I said, that is disheartening.''

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I don’t see these comments by RGIII as that selfish or passing the blame. He accepts blame for the bad throw that was intercepted. He did say that he felt the Eagles out schemed them, but maybe they did. I just don’t see how his team was so outraged by his comments. If a Bill had said the same things, would you be upset? Discuss!

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/redskins-rg3-clears-air-moss-213248223--nfl.html

Regarding the interception, he said Sunday: ''We had a certain concept we were running, and nobody got open so I was backing up, and in the situation where you get a sack there, it ends the game. I was trying to throw the ball to the back of the end zone. It didn't get to where I wanted it to go.''

Regarding the Eagles in general, he said after the game: ''They did a good job of scheming us up. Obviously, we were able to run the ball effectively, but in the passing game, they kind of had us. They kind of knew what was coming before it was coming and, like I said, that is disheartening.''

I think this guy has gotten an enormous head since coming into the league. He has become a diva, who is dividing the team and will probably get the Shanahans fired (not that they don't richly deserve it.). And the Redskins are going to end up surrendering a very high No. 1 pick to the Rams this spring.

Bob Griffin has done two things since entering the NFL .. get hurt and lose.

Gugny, I am normally with you 100% of the time, but you are way off here and let me set you straight. :nana: RG3 is a prime example of what the media can do to players. They love to raise you up but then when you get too famous, they love to tear you down.

In his 1st year, he went 9-6 and took a team that was 5-11 to the playoffs. He tore his knee playing on a crappy field in the playoffs. He's not 100% healthy yet. Currently, the Washington Slurs are 13th in yards and 6th in points offensively (30th and 28th in those categories on defense). He hasn't played as good as he did last year, but he is far from the problem in Washington.

RG3 probably did a few too many commercials and was on TV too much. But overall, he is a great young man. It's similar to what the media did to Tebow, only he was about 1/4 of the player RG3 is. If the world was filled with RG3s and Tebows, it'd be a much better place. I would bet a lot of money on a giant rebound next year for RG3.

Gugny, I am normally with you 100% of the time, but you are way off here and let me set you straight. :nana: RG3 is a prime example of what the media can do to players. They love to raise you up but then when you get too famous, they love to tear you down.

In his 1st year, he went 9-6 and took a team that was 5-11 to the playoffs. He tore his knee playing on a crappy field in the playoffs. He's not 100% healthy yet. Currently, the Washington Slurs are 13th in yards and 6th in points offensively (30th and 28th in those categories on defense). He hasn't played as good as he did last year, but he is far from the problem in Washington.

RG3 probably did a few too many commercials and was on TV too much. But overall, he is a great young man. It's similar to what the media did to Tebow, only he was about 1/4 of the player RG3 is. If the world was filled with RG3s and Tebows, it'd be a much better place. I would bet a lot of money on a giant rebound next year for RG3.

In many ways RGIII is the source of the controversies swirling around him. He simply can't refrain from talking. The attention he received in the offseason regarding whether he would be ready to play was mainly a creation of his own doing. He and his father were making public comments insinuating that his injury was mainly due to Shanahan not protecting him and not holding him back when he was the one insisting in returning to the playing field. He and his father were also making public comments that the HC had to be more attentive to his protection by altering the offense to limit his exposure.

The issues he was bringing up are legitimate issues that need to be addressed and worked out between the player and the coaching staff. But it was his public proclamations that raised the frenzied response by the press. He is a dynamic young qb on a high profile and scrutinized team. What did he expect from his public criticisms of the coaching staff and organization? Silence?

When you are the starting qb on any team you are going to be the center of attention. That is the nature of the position. Whatever you say that has a tinge of controversey or conflict is going to be magnified by the media. Again, that is the nature of the position. Why do you think the qb position is paid so much? You are not simply a player but you are also the face of the franchise.

RGIII is a very smart and engagin person. His problem is that he has brought a troublesome diva attitude to the business. When things are going well that aspect of his behavior will be overlooked. When things are not going well that diva act becomes less tolerable to the media and fanbase.

The best way to settle the situation down is for him to be more discrete with his comments and take more responsibility, fair or not fair. It goes with the territory and it goes with the position.

RGIII in his second year is not what he was (dynamo) in his rookie year. That was too be expected because of his serious knee injury. He and the coaching staff are learning on how to adjust his style of play in order to be less exposed as a player. That unsurprisingly has not gone very smoothly That is not an easy transition to make. It is a process that is going to take time.

Whether the media is treating him unfairly or not is not the issue. The real issue is how you handle the scrutiny. His propensity to excessively talk is getting him in trouble on the public stage and within his own locker room. Being loqacious and undisciplined at the podium is causing him friction with his teammates. This burgeoning problem is of his own doing. The antidote to this problem is simply being humble and less talkative.

Edited by JohnC

From most accounts, RGIII seems to be a nice guy and pretty level headed. He is a bit immature which comes across in the above statement. No matter how the other team won, you do not throw your own team and coaches under the bus. Instead he should have deflected it by saying that we need to be better prepared next time, execute better and protect the ball. You do NOT give a rival, especially a division foe, a psychological advantage (for future meetings). If EJ had said something like this after losing to the Pats*, I would be incensed.

http://sports.yahoo....48223--nfl.html

See Deadspin breakdown of Mario Williams interview for great example of how the media manufactures controversy. They quoted Mario as saying:

"Me personally, I feel it was disrespectful. I take my nephew to Dave & Busters,'' Bills defensive end Mario Williams told The Post.

This time, someone in the locker room with a recording had Mario's actual words on tape. Williams said he didn't know about the D&B trip before the game and commented:

"I would say it's a weird kinda thing. I take my nephews to Dave & Buster's." and then later in the interview when asked if he considered it disrespectful:

he says he considers the Jets to be disrespectful in general: "Me personally, I feel like they're disrespectful in the first place."

So then Cannizaro spliced together two separate soundbites to have Mario Williams saying what he encloses above, when actually it was two separate thoughts: Mario thought it was wierd for the grown-up Jets to go to a place where he entertains his little nephews. Mario thinks the Jets are in general, a disrespectful team. Splice n' dice and there's your controversy.

I suspect that Santana Moss was not given the accurate, complete soundbite when he responded as he did. He was probably just given the part about "nobody got open" and "it was disheartening" and not the part about "I was trying to throw it (away)...it didn't go where I wanted to go" I also suspect that there's a general feeling in the WR or O side of the team that RGIII doesn't take enough responsibility, or Moss couldn't have been so easily triggered by a sound bite. But that's just a surmise.

Edited by Hopeful

Yes, we tend to agree the majority of the time. But, man ... not on this one! I look at last season and I saw his receivers making insane catches on poorly thrown footballs. I saw him (and this is fine) benefiting from a great run game. I did not see Griffin as a huge reason they went to the playoffs. I know this is not a popular opinion and I know the statistics tell a different story.

My belief is if those statistics told the true story, they would be a lot closer to that this year. They're not.

I think Griffin's lack of accuracy has caught up with him. I think his lack of discipline has caught up with him. I think his lack of size is catching up to him.

I don't think he's good enough to be a pocket passer. At his size, he has to be a pocket passer in order to survive. Teams can dare Griffin to throw and he's never going to win that battle on a consistent basis.

I don't blame him for being a media darling. I don't care that he talks too much. I just don't think he's as good at football as many do. I think he is a nice kid with a good head on his shoulders and I'd like to see more like him in the NFL.

Now ... Tebow ... he's a phoney hypocrite and downright sucks at football. He's a media whore, an attention whore and a colossal fake. The sooner he falls of the map, the better.

Cheers!! :w00t:

Someone will have to show me where he didn't accept any blame. He ran the scheme, the coverage didn't leave him an open receiver, so he tried to throw it out of the end zone rather than take a sack...and fully admits he underthrew the ball, causing the interception. Where's the egotism?

The only thing I gather from the controversy is that Santana Moss is a head-case.

In the offseason, I thought to myself "He is really full of himself, he needs a dose of HUMILITY, big time." Luck, Wilson and RGIII were pretty good last year as rookies and held a lot of promise coming into the new season. What I noticed in the offseason was tooooo much coverage of RGIII, he interrupted a press conference that he wasn't even supposed to be a part of to explain that there is no rift between him and Shanahan. I knew he was in trouble when he tweeted back to people who got on his case for accepting the wedding gifts from strangers on his registry. Once you think the masses have your back and will agree with everything you tweet, you are in toooo deep. Luck and Wilson seem to have a maturity level way beyond what RGIII has. Having said this, I want him to come back next season and do good. I just hope he learns from this and comes back a little more humble. It's kind of funny how it takes a dose of humility for some people to get it. My advise for RGIII: stop the tweeting crap and concentrate on the little things it takes to be a leader of men.

Yes, we tend to agree the majority of the time. But, man ... not on this one! I look at last season and I saw his receivers making insane catches on poorly thrown footballs. I saw him (and this is fine) benefiting from a great run game. I did not see Griffin as a huge reason they went to the playoffs. I know this is not a popular opinion and I know the statistics tell a different story.

My belief is if those statistics told the true story, they would be a lot closer to that this year. They're not.

I think Griffin's lack of accuracy has caught up with him. I think his lack of discipline has caught up with him. I think his lack of size is catching up to him.

I don't think he's good enough to be a pocket passer. At his size, he has to be a pocket passer in order to survive. Teams can dare Griffin to throw and he's never going to win that battle on a consistent basis.

I don't blame him for being a media darling. I don't care that he talks too much. I just don't think he's as good at football as many do. I think he is a nice kid with a good head on his shoulders and I'd like to see more like him in the NFL.

Now ... Tebow ... he's a phoney hypocrite and downright sucks at football. He's a media whore, an attention whore and a colossal fake. The sooner he falls of the map, the better.

Cheers!! :w00t:

Yeah man, we're in total disagreement here. I'm sorry to prove you wrong. :w00t:

1) He completed 67.1 % of his passes in his college career at 8.7 ypa, including 72.4% his last year while averaging 10.7 ypa. http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/robert-griffin-iii-1.html That is insane. So I struggle to see how he is how his accuracy is an issue.

2) Who are these great Washington wrs? Pierre Garcon is good (though he is always one of the top drop leaders). Who else do they have? Old, little Santana Moss? I think they might have a top 5 worst receiving core in the country.

3) I don't have the time now, but I'm willing to bet most Qbs struggle in their first season back from major surgery. The RG3 you see now isn't the Rg3 you will see next year.

honestly, I'd trade for RG3 in a second. Last year, he threw 20 tds to 5 ints. You will win a lot of games with a QB with a 4 td to 1 int ratio. He's still 23. There were a lot of people wanting to bury Cam Newton after 2 years. Now, he is the QB of a SB contender. I think RG3 will be a top 5 QB for years to come. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. :thumbsup:

In the offseason, I thought to myself "He is really full of himself, he needs a dose of HUMILITY, big time." Luck, Wilson and RGIII were pretty good last year as rookies and held a lot of promise coming into the new season. What I noticed in the offseason was tooooo much coverage of RGIII, he interrupted a press conference that he wasn't even supposed to be a part of to explain that there is no rift between him and Shanahan. I knew he was in trouble when he tweeted back to people who got on his case for accepting the wedding gifts from strangers on his registry. Once you think the masses have your back and will agree with everything you tweet, you are in toooo deep. Luck and Wilson seem to have a maturity level way beyond what RGIII has. Having said this, I want him to come back next season and do good. I just hope he learns from this and comes back a little more humble. It's kind of funny how it takes a dose of humility for some people to get it. My advise for RGIII: stop the tweeting crap and concentrate on the little things it takes to be a leader of men.

Blame the media. RG3 plays in Washington. Luck plays in Indy while Wilson plays in Seattle. You get forgot about in those places. Also, is Andrew Luck really marketable? Kaepernick got just as much hype because he plays in a big market.

The media loves to build guys up and they also love to destroy them.

I haven't read through all the posts so may have already been mentioned, but I think being in the DC market hurts him. While I think he has been a bit of an attention seeker, I also think his comments have not been inflammatory about the game yet they are being overblown along with a lot of what happens with him. No one cares what goes on in Bflo so you'll never see EJ or Marrone comments leading SC. Just my 2 cents.

Yeah man, we're in total disagreement here. I'm sorry to prove you wrong. :w00t:

1) He completed 67.1 % of his passes in his college career at 8.7 ypa, including 72.4% his last year while averaging 10.7 ypa. http://www.sports-re...ffin-iii-1.html That is insane. So I struggle to see how he is how his accuracy is an issue.

2) Who are these great Washington wrs? Pierre Garcon is good (though he is always one of the top drop leaders). Who else do they have? Old, little Santana Moss? I think they might have a top 5 worst receiving core in the country.

3) I don't have the time now, but I'm willing to bet most Qbs struggle in their first season back from major surgery. The RG3 you see now isn't the Rg3 you will see next year.

honestly, I'd trade for RG3 in a second. Last year, he threw 20 tds to 5 ints. You will win a lot of games with a QB with a 4 td to 1 int ratio. He's still 23. There were a lot of people wanting to bury Cam Newton after 2 years. Now, he is the QB of a SB contender. I think RG3 will be a top 5 QB for years to come. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. :thumbsup:

Blame the media. RG3 plays in Washington. Luck plays in Indy while Wilson plays in Seattle. You get forgot about in those places. Also, is Andrew Luck really marketable? Kaepernick got just as much hype because he plays in a big market.

The media loves to build guys up and they also love to destroy them.

Thanks for bringing up Kaepernick, I knew I forgot someone. He's another one to me that was a little full of himself coming into the season. He has had a little bit of humble pie too. He needs it, IMO. I agree on the DC media, but his agent or advisor should have coached him better.