MNF Thread - Cam Newton vs. Tom Brady

boyst

Changing the direction of things here, but....

I know no one wants to see the Pats win, but shouldn't we have been routing for them? I know the playoffs are still a long shot but I think many people believe that the Week #17 game against the pats is the key to the playoffs. And to have a decent shot at it we need NE to have home field locked up... soooooooooo should we have been rooting for the Pats?

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know no one wants to see the Pats win, but shouldn't we have been routing for them? I know the playoffs are still a long shot but I think many people believe that the Week #17 game against the pats is the key to the playoffs. And to have a decent shot at it we need NE to have home field locked up... soooooooooo should we have been rooting for the Pats?

Makes sense, but that is like rooting for college teams I hate so it makes my team's SoS better --- I just can't do it.

Not only do I want week 17 to be meaningless for the Pats, I also picked the bastards in my pool.

When the Pats finish 9-7 and we beat the Pats in the final game and go 9-7...they may look at common opponents. We beat the Panthers...they didn't. I know it's a stretch but it justifies my not rooting for them.

When the Pats finish 9-7 and we beat the Pats in the final game and go 9-7...they may look at common opponents. We beat the Panthers...they didn't. I know it's a stretch but it justifies my not rooting for them.

Not a stretch at all. Our tie breaks largely depend on the panthers and ravens. We need both those teams to really finish strong.

Robert Krafts cheque to the refs must have bounced before the game. :w00t:

New England got really screwed.

If the holding and contact came before the pass the refs should have called holding or illegal contact. If it was after the pass that was pass blatant interference.

Gronk was being held/interfered and it definitely impeded him coming back to the ball and could have made a play on the ball. He was interfering him for a few seconds! The player became a brick wall. Blatant penalty...awful officiating and it couldn't have happened to a better organization :devil:

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

just finished the game and Kuechly was mauling Gronk, sorry that was obvious PI. Gronk couldn't make a play bc he was grossly interfered with.

Refs on the take again. Suspicious reffing happened i the Stanford game as well where the ball was short and they called it first down and the chain guys ran off the field like no tomorrow. And Kaepernic was not "well outside the tackle box"

Watching the reply this morning - I get the call. It's a TOUGH one to say gronk had zero chance to make a play on the ball even without the shove, but I just don't know that I see a way he could've gotten a hand on the ball. Refs should've explained it, but I won't say its a bad call (not sure it's a good one either)

You should probably come off of your Newton sucks stance a little bit. Kid is playing good ball.

I don't think he sucks. I think he has had an incredible year thus far and the coaching staff has worked wonders. He still has work to do but his 2012 season behind him there is not anyone who can rationally say he has not made the step to elite

Watching the reply this morning - I get the call. It's a TOUGH one to say gronk had zero chance to make a play on the ball even without the shove, but I just don't know that I see a way he could've gotten a hand on the ball. Refs should've explained it, but I won't say its a bad call (not sure it's a good one either)

The play was obvious from the PI perspective; Gronk was clearly and obviously restricted from making a play on the ball.

It's the catch-able part that is open to judgement. But, if one looks at the replay of the play, the initial interference occurred right around where the ball ended up being intercepted (Keuchly dragged GronK several yards backwards on the play), I don't see anyone can say that a player of Gronk's ability would have no chance of catching that ball.

EDIT: Added GIF

f9999.gif

Edited by Pneumonic

It would have been intercepted if Kuechly wasn't there at all. Gronk was running to the back of the end zone and the DB had already undercut him before any contact was made by Kuechly. Clearly Brady didn't put the ball where it needed to be for Gronk to have any chance at it.

For all the whining you hear about flags during most games, I'd think people would be happy to see the refs get together and agree that the flag thrown in error. Kudos to the refs for having the balls to pick it up.

And of course, huge bonus points for a Pats* loss that ends with Brady crying to the refs.

I agree that it would have been intercepted no matter... but usually, most games, a play like that would be call PI, so its all a bit weird. I've never really liked the idea of blindly throwing a ball in the direction of a receiver, and getting a PI call if it's in the same direction, and the defensive player isn't ready. But most of the time, it works... so along that history, that play should have been called a PI, even though I think it's BS. Maybe the NFL has directed the refs to watch out for that more?

The play was obvious from the PI perspective; Gronk was clearly and obviously restricted from making a play on the ball.

It's the catch-able part that is open to judgement. But, if one looks at the replay of the play, the initial interference occurred right around where the ball ended up being intercepted (Keuchly dragged GronK several yards backwards on the play), I don't see anyone can say that a player of Gronk's ability would have no chance of catching that ball.

f9999.gif

At what point does gronk try to return to the ball? He wasn't trying to plant where he was first touched, he was still trying to get deep. It was clearly interference but I don't think gronk did anything to help the case that he could've otherwise gotten back to it based on the route he was running.

I disagree. Look at the trajectory of the ball and imagine that 'interference' not occuring at all. Even if Kuechly was not pushing Gronk away, he would have been on the side of the ball. The ball should have been thrown more to (Brady's) right side. It was too much to the left and indeed I think if Kuechly wasn't tangled up with Gronk, he could have had a chance at intercepting that pass. Even if Kuechly did not, Robert Lester was moving towards the ball (he was not beat). Even Brady says it could have been a better throw.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000284507/article/tom-brady-throw-should-have-been-better-on-last-play

Nope, never. Can't root for the Pats*.

Speaking more objectively, when have the Pats* eased off on the throttle ? They will still do their darndest to step on our throats and say they want momentum for the playoffs. I would rather beat them when they are at full strength.

Either way, I won't root for the friggin' Pats*

If anything it was defensive holding and a 5 yard penalty, that alleviates a subjective catchable ball decision. EIther that, or the no call, it is a ball that would have been picked and was essentially a hail mary play where PI is hardly ever called.

If anything it was defensive holding and a 5 yard penalty, that alleviates a subjective catchable ball decision. EIther that, or the no call, it is a ball that would have been picked and was essentially a hail mary play where PI is hardly ever called.

was he engaged before the ball was released?

Lol at Steve Smith. Him and Talib were battling all game and had that little scuffle. Talib later left after re injuring his hip. Asked after the game about it Smith said "I don't know go ask him cuz he didn't finish the game. Ice up son ice up." Haha Smith is such a little punk but it's funny when he's not playing your team. Remember when he was talking crap about Stevie to Andre Reed vs us? That guy cracks me up

screw that. i'll never root for new england to win.

was he engaged before the ball was released?

Looks to me like he was. He was draped on Gronk from like 5 yard line and into the end zone I think. I need to see another angle.

We all know it would not have been the first time Kuechley committed PI on a big play!

At what point does gronk try to return to the ball? He wasn't trying to plant where he was first touched, he was still trying to get deep. It was clearly interference but I don't think gronk did anything to help the case that he could've otherwise gotten back to it based on the route he was running.

Think of it this way ..... if Keuchly wasn't in the picture, does Gronk catch the ball? Of course, he does.

Think of it this way ..... if Keuchly wasn't in the picture, does Gronk catch the ball? Of course, he does.

but he is in the picture, even if he doesnt get hands on him. gronk would still have to get by both him AND and another defender AND catch the ball.

and even if hes not in the picture im not sure gronk ever gets in front of the defender that made the pick and catches that ball.

Edited by NoSaint

Easy to say that but that DB makes a hell of a move on that ball to jump in front of Gronk and I don't know if Gronk could have turned in time to make that play... even if he turns in time, the DB is still in front of him so he'll knock it down or make it extremely difficult to catch either way.

but he is in the picture, even if he doesnt get hands on him. gronk would still have to get by both him AND and another defender AND catch the ball.

and even if hes not in the picture im not sure gronk ever gets in front of the defender that made the pick and catches that ball.

The only way to know for sure if Gronk could make a play on the ball, and therefore catch it, is to allow him the opportunity to do so. He wasn't afforded that opportunity because he had Keuchly drapped all over him.

The only way to know for sure if Gronk could make a play on the ball, and therefore catch it, is to allow him the opportunity to do so. He wasn't afforded that opportunity because he had Keuchly drapped all over him.

?

Gronkowski just kept running his route. The ball was underthrown by about 3-4 yards. The Panthers DB realizes this and then cuts in front of Gronk to make the play. The DB is already cut in front of Gronk when Kuechly makes contact, meaning, the ball was already uncatchable if Gronk doesn't change his position..... and he doesn't.... he just keeps running.

Just because a ball is in the air doesn't mean an offensive guy has to be allowed to catch it.

In fact if Gronk stops, trys to move back to the ball, the interence would be correct, IMO. But he made no attempt. How is it that the DB realized the ball was underthrown before the receiver?

?

Gronkowski just kept running his route. The ball was underthrown by about 3-4 yards. The Panthers DB realizes this and then cuts in front of Gronk to make the play. The DB is already cut in front of Gronk when Kuechly makes contact, meaning, the ball was already uncatchable if Gronk doesn't change his position..... and he doesn't.... he just keeps running.

Just because a ball is in the air doesn't mean an offensive guy has to be allowed to catch it.

In fact if Gronk stops, trys to move back to the ball, the interence would be correct, IMO. But he made no attempt. How is it that the DB realized the ball was underthrown before the receiver?

Huh. Look at the GIF above ...... Gronk was being dragged towards the EZ by a 250# LB. Of course he's not going to be able to make a play on the ball. That's why they have PI calls!

Huh. Look at the GIF above ...... Gronk was being dragged towards the EZ by a 250# LB. Of course he's not going to be able to make a play on the ball. That's why they have PI calls!

I have looked at the play and GIF, several times. We are seeing different things, because at no point do I see Kuechly "dragging" Gronkowski anywhere. Dragging looks like pulling, where does that happen? Kuechly is behind Gronkowski and I'm not sure how some drags someone forward from behind...

watch the replay from the backside - gronk is already well past the point hed need to be at by the time he was actually grabbed and nowhere in it does he fight to get back.

I have looked at the play and GIF, several times. We are seeing different things, because at no point do I see Kuechly "dragging" Gronkowski anywhere. Dragging looks like pulling, where does that happen? Kuechly is behind Gronkowski and I'm not sure how some drags someone forward from behind...

OK, he pushes him instead of drags him. In either case, Kuechly is draped all over Gronk and impeded his ability to make a play on the ball.

I hope in a couple of years we can look back at this season and see that it was the beginning of the end of the Pats. Lack of talent on offense, suspect D, and Brady is taking more and more hits. I've been waiting for their demise for a long time

Exaggerate much?