Official Playoff Possibilities Thread

eball

NE is not going to be 13-3. Not even close. They could easily lose 3 of their next 5 games and be 9-6 when they take on the Bills in week 17. That's what I want to see. AFCE division championship game.

Broncos

Texans

Browns

Dolphins

Ravens

Bills

None of these games are gimmies for NE. NE may even be knocked out of a playoff birth. Now that would be sweet.

Edited by Rockinon

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

common games is the flip of non common games.....

Bills played KC (L) and @ JAX

Jets its @ TEN (L) and later OAK

both going 1-1 or 0-2 means the common game record is the same.

Between Bills and Jets...

H2H---split

Divisional play....BUF has MIa 2 NE, JETS have H &H with MIA

BUF wins out they are 4-2, JEts split they are 3-3...tiebreaker to BUF.

That is why BUF need the Jets to lose to MIa once. \

I understand that you can arrive at common opponents by looking at non-commone ones. It's just a weird way if doing it when it's so easy to look at the fact that the jets just need to basically lose 2 more games to anyone (except the raiders).

On your second point, I have no faith that Miami can split with the jets. But that may not matter. even if the jets sweep them, if they then lose to car and Balt, we are tied h to h, tied division, tied in common games, and can squeak out with strength of victory against the jets (probably if Carolina can finish with a better record than saints).

I understand that you can arrive at common opponents by looking at non-commone ones. It's just a weird way if doing it when it's so easy to look at the fact that the jets just need to basically lose 2 more games to anyone (except the raiders).

On your second point, I have no faith that Miami can split with the jets. But that may not matter. even if the jets sweep them, if they then lose to car and Balt, we are tied h to h, tied division, tied in common games, and can squeak out with strength of victory against the jets (probably if Carolina can finish with a better record than saints).

here is the problem:

the Jets remaining schedule is:

at BAL, MIA, OAK, at CAR, CLE, at MIA

assuming they sweep MIA....

tie breakers

H2H split

division 4-2

common beat OAK (Y/N) N---Jets win the tiebreaker based on common they would have gone 0-2 in noncommon vs BUF 1-1...if Y......

conference beat CAR (Y/N)--beat CAR they are 4-0 against NFC thus worse in AFC BUF wins....if N....

strength of schedule BUF (KC=9, JAX=1) NYJ ( OAK=4, TEN=4) everything washes out...combination of more wins wins out. BUF leads If that is tied.....

strength of victory (divison opponents can be eliminated since they split each other, w/ NE, and sweep MIA)

BUF: BAL, CAR, TB, ATL, JAX

NYJ: BAL/CLE, NO, TB, ATL, OAK (the go 4-2--beat MIA twice, W OAK, L CAR, go 1-1 against BAL, CLE, )

TB and ATL elimniate

BUF: BAL, CAR, JAX

NYJ BAL/CLE, NO, OAK

Jets need to lose to BAL, beat CLE, CLE tanks, and OAK tanks.

An added wrinkle is if NE finishes out also at 9-7 in a 3 way tie. they do the sorting with 3 teams...then one drops and they restart it with those 2 teams deciding division title, then the loser is in 2nd and possibly a WC.

What I hope for is.....

NE 8-6...losing to MIA and DEN

BUF 7-7

MIA has to lose 1 game at least

Jets have to lose 2 games at least....lose to BAL, and hopefully MIA (first meeting)

bunch of other teams have 8 loses (very likely)....baltimore competes. BAL 8-6

week 16

MIA at BUF

NE at BAL

BUF wins they control their own fate before NE/BAL play (assuming no ties of course)

If NE win...BUF ahead of BAL

IF BAL win...BUF at NE is for the division title.

Edited by djp14150

@djp.

Don't hold your breath on Miami beating the jets.

IMO, the likeliest scenario is they lose to Balt and car. I will take any other loss too, but am not holding my breadth.

If that happens, we will be tied on the first four tiebreaks and it will come down to strength of victory.

this would mean if Carolina and Baltimore (teams we beat and jets lost to) have a better combined record than New Orleans and Cleveland (teams jets beat and we lost to), then we are in.

In the unlikely event that we tie on strength of victory, it goes to strength of schedule. We would probably lose there since we have jax on our schedule and the jets don't (though you never know how everyone will shake out in the end).

some can ask for the pats* to win out to make week 17 an easier game for Buffalo, BUT if Buffalo wins out and the Putz tank enough games,

The Bills COULD be a 4th seed and the Puts a 6th seed.

personally I prefer the Bills 4th and the Putz 6th

I also think the JESTERS will finish 8-8 or 7-9

@djp.

Don't hold your breath on Miami beating the jets.

IMO, the likeliest scenario is they lose to Balt and car. I will take any other loss too, but am not holding my breadth.

If that happens, we will be tied on the first four tiebreaks and it will come down to strength of victory.

this would mean if Carolina and Baltimore (teams we beat and jets lost to) have a better combined record than New Orleans and Cleveland (teams jets beat and we lost to), then we are in.

In the unlikely event that we tie on strength of victory, it goes to strength of schedule. We would probably lose there since we have jax on our schedule and the jets don't (though you never know how everyone will shake out in the end).

I don't know. I wouldn't hold my breath on the NYJ beating Miami.

can anyone remember the last time the Putrids rested players in week 17?

I may be wrong but I can't recall it happening

I went as far back as 2000, when Belichek started, and looking at the last game of each season, I see starters listed with stats. They may have been pulled later in the game if the score is out of hand, but generally they've always started their players.