Official Playoff Possibilities Thread

eball

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After today, I would agree with you. if we are looking at us against Miami, we control our fate. Just beat the fins.

The Bills just need to beat Miami and hope that New England beats Miami too. As for the Jets I believe Miami will beat them … and perhaps twice.

Right now it looks like Pitt and SD are the two to be most worried about.

As for the Bills TB is looking far more challenging then they were a few weeks ago.

Edited by cklapka

Was flipping back and forth between MIA vs CAR and Jets vs Ravens. What I see is a wide open AFCE. Miami was tough today, but not so tough to win out and make the playoffs. Jets are in trouble. Any team playing them just has to bring the heat on Geno and he will win the game for the opposing team. Everyone seems to have this notion burned into their brains that NE is going to win the division. I'm not impressed with this year's version of the Patriots at all. Here is who they have left to play:

Broncos at home

Texans away

Browns at home

Dolphins away

Ravens away

Bills at home

The nearest game to a gimme for them is the Browns. Other than that, they could slide fast. The next two weeks will be telling. If they don't win one of their next two games, the vultures will be circling. And so will the wagons.

Was flipping back and forth between MIA vs CAR and Jets vs Ravens. What I see is a wide open AFCE. Miami was tough today, but not so tough to win out and make the playoffs. Jets are in trouble. Any team playing them just has to bring the heat on Geno and he will win the game for the opposing team. Everyone seems to have this notion burned into their brains that NE is going to win the division. I'm not impressed with this year's version of the Patriots at all. Here is who they have left to play:

Broncos at home

Texans away

Browns at home

Dolphins away

Ravens away

Bills at home

The nearest game to a gimme for them is the Browns. Other than that, they could slide fast. The next two weeks will be telling. If they don't win one of their next two games, the vultures will be circling. And so will the wagons.

The Bills just need to beat Miami and hope that New England beats Miami too. As for the Jets I believe Miami will beat them … and perhaps twice.

As for the Bill TB is looking far more challenging then they were a few weeks ago.

Miami has these teams left to play:

Jets away

Steelers away

Patriots at home

Bills away

Jets at home

Why would we need NE to beat MIA? We beat MIA and we are in control and with a NE loss to MIA, we could take the division all together!

As for the Bill TB is looking far more challenging then they were a few weeks ago.

Agree on all accounts. The biggest challenge is pit has to lose two more. They play at Balt and at gb, so it's possible.

The Patriots would have to lose out and the Bills win out for the last game to be for the division. That ain't happening.

Very True, But I can dream can't I?

I went as far back as 2000, when Belichek started, and looking at the last game of each season, I see starters listed with stats. They may have been pulled later in the game if the score is out of hand, but generally they've always started their players.

its very similar to when they are leading by 21 points in the 4th qtr and Brady is still in there. paraphrased Bellyache quote.... grumble we couldn't take the chance that they would score enough points to win grumble

San Diego still plays Bengals, Chiefs and Broncos.

The Chiefs team they just beat at Arrowhead? We can hope KC gets it together but the Bills played them and know they are not as stout as their 9-2 record suggests.

Broncos at home

Texans away

Browns at home

Dolphins away

Ravens away

Bills at home

Have you been watching the Texans this year? I think that is another Gimme game for the likes of the Pats.

I think we're forgetting that we play the Falcons in Toronto and then a Tampa Bay team on the road that seems to be doing good things in recent weeks. Atlanta is the game of the season for us. If we get a win in Toronto, I will accept any playoff discussions there are to be made.

I'm more concerned about playing Atlanta at "home" than I am the Bucs in Tampa. One game at a time folks, one game at a time...

Broncos at home

Texans away

Browns at home

Dolphins away

Ravens away

Bills at home

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread, it is making me optimistic for a wild card spot. But let's get things straight here: Belichick and Brady are not going to let the East slip to the Bills' hands. We can focus on winning the division after we snap a 13 year drought and sneak a wild card spot.

I think we're forgetting that we play the Falcons in Toronto and then a Tampa Bay team on the road that seems to be doing good things in recent weeks. Atlanta is the game of the season for us. If we get a win in Toronto, I will accept any playoff discussions there are to be made.

I'm more concerned about playing Atlanta at "home" than I am the Bucs in Tampa. One game at a time folks, one game at a time...

I think everyone posting in this thread is aware that in order to have a chance the Bills need to win at least 4 more games (meaning every game is the "game of the season" for the Bills). The point is to see what else needs to occur for them to have that shot.

Edited by cklapka

The Chiefs team they just beat at Arrowhead? We can hope KC gets it together but the Bills played them and know they are not as stout as their 9-2 record suggests.

Have you been watching the Texans this year? I think that is another Gimme game for the likes of the Pats.

Texans have had a tough schedule and they are not nearly as bad as their record indicates. Yea, I've seen some of their games and I just can't believe how they have slid this year. At home against the Patriots, I think they have a legit shot because I simply do not believe the Pats are very good away from home. Have you been watching the league as a whole? Games have been pretty close league wide and NE with the exception of the Pitt game has been squeaking by. I by no means guarantee a win but this game will be tough for them. Also, NE does not need to lose out and the Bills win out. With NE at 9-6 and the Bills at 8-7 in week 17, a Bills win would make them 9-7 and NE at 9-7. What that means is Buffalo would be 4-2 in the division and if NE doesn't beat Miami, Bills win the division. Edited by Rockinon

The Patriots would have to lose out and the Bills win out for the last game to be for the division. That ain't happening.

Correct on the last part, but not quite right on the first part--if they lose to the Broncos tonight, they'd need to lose two more out of the last 4 games before falling to the Bills in Week 17. That would put us both at 9-7--not sure about the tie breakers beyond that, but head to head would be even. They have the Ravens and Fins and Texans and Browns in those other 4. I'd say that at least the Fins and Birds could possibly beat them. Not saying this is happening, but it's not completely impossible, especially if they should lose tonight. The tougher part is obviously us stringing together 5 wins, including against them at home in Week 17. The chances of all of this happening--probably less than 2-3%....

What matters is that the other games we wanted went our way today, and 9-7 has a good chance at the #6 seed without complicated scenarios and a million upsets.

That doesn't mean Lombardi trophy, but it means coming out of our bye against a weak Falcons team with meaningful December football. I don't expect to beat New England in New England in week 17, but I am really excited to creep closer to that being a game that matters and not playing any meaningless football this year. That would be a big deal to the growth of this team.

5-7 and still alive here we come!

Correct on the last part, but not quite right on the first part--if they lose to the Broncos tonight, they'd need to lose two more out of the last 4 games before falling to the Bills in Week 17. That would put us both at 9-7--not sure about the tie breakers beyond that, but head to head would be even. They have the Ravens and Fins and Texans and Browns in those other 4. I'd say that at least the Fins and Birds could possibly beat them. Not saying this is happening, but it's not completely impossible, especially if they should lose tonight. The tougher part is obviously us stringing together 5 wins, including against them at home in Week 17. The chances of all of this happening--probably less than 2-3%....

I used the Playoff Machine and it seems that we will win the division if New England loses to Denver, Baltimore OR Cleveland, Miami and us. There is another way if they lose to Denver, Cleveland, Baltimore and us. This assumes we win out.