Manuel vs G. Smith

ChanOverChin

I think most would have had to say that Smith was developing faster than Manuel prior to today, but after what we say from Manuel today against a very good Jets defense I think Manuel showed that he has the ability to be the better of the two long term. After today, my hope has been renewed for Mr. Manuel. While we still have an outside chance to make the playoffs (with the 2nd easiest schedule in the league down the stretch) my biggest interest will still be to see how Manuel plays the rest of this season. If nothing else we really need to find out if Manuel is capable of being our franchise QB.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think most would have had to say that Smith was developing faster than Manuel prior to today, but after what we say from Manuel today against a very good Jets defense I think Manuel showed that he has the ability to be the better of the two long term. After today, my hope has been renewed for Mr. Manuel. While we still have an outside chance to make the playoffs (with the 2nd easiest schedule in the league down the stretch) my biggest interest will still be to see how Manuel plays the rest of this season. If nothing else we really need to find out if Manuel is capable of being our franchise QB.

Manuel is 6 games into his NFL career. Geno is 10. No one is born an NFL QB. You have to learn the job. It takes some people longer.

PTR

Well, most important is wins and losses. Right now, Geno and the Jets are 5-5, while Manuel and the Bills are 4-7. Both are rookies, there's going to be ups and downs. I don't care if Manuel is the best QB in the history of the NFL if we are finishing with a losing record every year. Time to win 5 in a row.

And all the missed time set EJ back significantly.

Well, most important is wins and losses. Right now, Geno and the Jets are 5-5, while Manuel and the Bills are 4-7. Both are rookies, there's going to be ups and downs. I don't care if Manuel is the best QB in the history of the NFL if we are finishing with a losing record every year. Time to win 5 in a row.

The Bills are 4-7, but Manuel is in reality 3-3 (he left the Browns game with the score tied, so I didn't count it).

In what way have you seen Geno "developing"??

He's been extremely awful more often than not, and he looked completely lost today.

My eyes tell me Geno is "developing" into the next JP Losman.

To me, Geno lacks poise and leadership. He seems to float a lot of passes and takes way too many chances with a lot of his throws. He also doesnt strike me as somebody who will put in countless hours studying game film and preparing himself for the opponents defense. He does have a pretty strong arm and doesnt throw a bad deep ball, but other than that, he isnt franchise quarterback material to me. As soon as things start unraveling and things dont go his way, he starts forcing throws and losing his composure.

To me, Geno lacks poise and leadership. He seems to float a lot of passes and takes way too many chances with a lot of his throws. He also doesnt strike me as somebody who will put in countless hours studying game film and preparing himself for the opponents defense. He does have a pretty strong arm and doesnt throw a bad deep ball, but other than that, he isnt franchise quarterback material to me. As soon as things start unraveling and things dont go his way, he starts forcing throws and losing his composure.

Well done, sir!

Spot-on analysis, IMO.

I actually predict that geno will be pretty good. His mistakes are classic rookie mistakes-- poor reads, locking into receivers, some other correctible mistakes. It seems like those will be fixed with more experience and maybe some better receivers.

Based on what makes you think that he will be any good? If you think that, you must think Manuel will be a hall of famer then.

Geno has had some pretty darn good games. The first game vs the Bills and the game vs the Saints to name two. He was impressive in both games. If you were to poll experts prior to today most would say that Geno looks like the better player. EJ was absolutely terrible last week, but thankfully he looked like a solid player this week. We can only hope that he keeps getting better.

And all the missed time set EJ back significantly.

The Bills are 4-7, but Manuel is in reality 3-3 (he left the Browns game with the score tied, so I didn't count it).

The key word(s) are "and the Bills". Fair enough to say EJ is 3-3/3-4.

Point being is, these guys are both works in progress. I'd rather have Geno's record, though, at the moment. Even if I personally prefer EJ.

Based on what makes you think that he will be any good? If you think that, you must think Manuel will be a hall of famer then.

Geno hangs in the pocket, throws a nice ball, has a strong arm, is really accurate, and confidently throws down field. He's had good games, bad games, and horrible games in his short NFL career--but those are the qualities that suggest that he can make a good QB.

That he makes bad decisions, throws picks, doesn't see defenders in coverage, makes mental errors, again, is stuff that presumably can be corrected with more playing time and experience. Obviously, some guys figure out the mental side of the game, and others don't. But from what I have seen, I wouldn't write Geno off yet.

Geno has had some pretty darn good games. The first game vs the Bills and the game vs the Saints to name two. He was impressive in both games. If you were to poll experts prior to today most would say that Geno looks like the better player. EJ was absolutely terrible last week, but thankfully he looked like a solid player this week. We can only hope that he keeps getting better.

I don't credit Geno for the first game vs the Bills, as much as I blame Justin Rogers.