Manuel vs G. Smith

ChanOverChin

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the NY Post:

Receiver David Nelson professed his belief in Smith “because I’ve seen it in practice, I’ve seen it in the meeting room, I’ve seen it in the games.’’

Replace "Smith" with "Fitzpatrick" and that's a song we've heard Nelson sing before.

There's no way the Jets are confident with #7 behind center. Are you kidding me? 20 turnovers in 10 games!

Here are some damning numbers on Geno from PFF as well:

post-159-0-64816900-1384773822_thumb.jpeg

Edited by eball

I'm looking forward to watching us win the next 4 games. Even if we don't make the playoffs, I'm not of the opinion to lsoe for the draft pick. This team needs to see a hot streak and gain confidence. We go into Foxboro, and beat them in their house would be a great way to finish with 9-7. We most likely don't go to the playoffs, but we have a team to be proud of this year, and feel good to add some role player free agents, another stellar draft, and we make a run the next couple of years.

The last point is for Byrd to calm down, want to be on this team and we pay him 7 mil a year to lock him up for years. Can you imagine this team with a CB, basketball player like TE opposite Chandler, and Guard. This team could be impressive with these additions, and don't lose any talent.

Go Bills!!!!

I'm glad that the people saying the Bills should have taken Geno instead of Manuel got to see this game. I don't even like to compare them. There is no "every draft must yield at least one good QB" rule. I'm not sold on Manuel, but I'm not writing him off yet either. I never wanted any part of Smith though. The Jest almost had to take him where they did due to their need at QB so I don't blame them too much for it, but he's not the guy I'd want. He is a pretty classic example of a highly gifted bust. Physical talent to spare, but he's yet to prove the mental side. I'm not saying he's dumb or anything. It's just that there are only a handful of people in the world that have both the physical and mental ability to play QB in the NFL well. That is an incredibly high bar. The odds of any player developing that mental side are very, very, very long. It's easy to get caught up in the "he's so physically gifted that if/when the mental side comes together for him he'll be a top 5 QB in this league" line of thinking. But it so rarely happens I think those are the kinds of players that teams should use day 3 picks on and allow to sit and learn. Smith got shoved out on the field right away and that is only going to hurt him. He's got some very bad habits developing. Pressure up the middle equals throwing a floater off his back foot almost every time. That's a tough habit to break.

Come on . Let's give the Bills front defense some credit for the great game they played today. And the Big P for the play calls..

Geno was swarmed all day. EJ did not have half the pressure Geno did. Reverse the amount of pressure, I'm not sure how they would compare.

Come on . Let's give the Bills front defense some credit for the great game they played today. And the Big P for the play calls..

Geno was swarmed all day. EJ did not have half the pressure Geno did. Reverse the amount of pressure, I'm not sure how they would compare.

Umm, that already happened in week 3. And it was still a close game, not a blowout like yesterday. And the Bills played without their top 3 DBs.

Edit: and by the way, the only team in the NFL with a worse net points differential than the Jets is Jacksonville. They stink, and their 5-5 record is a mirage.

Edit again: yesterday EJ was 8/9 for 109 w/ 2 TDs when the Jets blitzed.

Edited by eball

I think most would have had to say that Smith was developing faster than Manuel prior to today, but after what we say from Manuel today against a very good Jets defense I think Manuel showed that he has the ability to be the better of the two long term. After today, my hope has been renewed for Mr. Manuel. While we still have an outside chance to make the playoffs (with the 2nd easiest schedule in the league down the stretch) my biggest interest will still be to see how Manuel plays the rest of this season. If nothing else we really need to find out if Manuel is capable of being our franchise QB.

many say that because of the NYETS record.

I wouldn't accept it because of his constant turnovers game after game after game. Sure EJ turns it over but not nearly as much as Geno

many say that because of the NYETS record.

I wouldn't accept it because of his constant turnovers game after game after game. Sure EJ turns it over but not nearly as much as Geno

It's not even close.

EJ: 7 games -- 4 INTs, 2 fumbles lost (0.86 turnovers/game)

Geno: 10 games -- 16 INTs, 4 fumbles lost (2.0 turnovers/game)

Also, none of EJ's miscues have been returned for TDs. How many pick-sixes has Geno already thrown?

Geno's QB rating is now in the mid 60s. EJ's is 82.

in ESPN's total QBR, EJ is at 44.8, while Geno is at 25.8.

Geno has gotten praise because he plays in NYC, and because the Jets have won 5 games. But so far he has pretty much stunk as an NFL QB.

Well, most important is wins and losses. Right now, Geno and the Jets are 5-5, while Manuel and the Bills are 4-7. Both are rookies, there's going to be ups and downs. I don't care if Manuel is the best QB in the history of the NFL if we are finishing with a losing record every year. Time to win 5 in a row.

Teams with great QBs don't lose finish with losing records every year. Never has been the case and is now a days is even less the case than ever.

Geno has had some pretty darn good games. The first game vs the Bills and the game vs the Saints to name two. He was impressive in both games. If you were to poll experts prior to today most would say that Geno looks like the better player. EJ was absolutely terrible last week, but thankfully he looked like a solid player this week. We can only hope that he keeps getting better.

I watched most of the game against the Saints. Geno had "good game" only to the extent that he didn' turn the ball over. The Jets won that game on defense and their running game. They desperately kept the game from resting in Geno's hands. They ran wildcat plays with Cribbs; they limited Geno's throws to an absolute minimum, and still he went only 8 for 19 for 115 yards and a QB rating of 62.4.

If not for the D and New Orleans turnovers the Jets lose that one. Geno is making Sanchez look good.

How does anyone know anything about Geno's "leadership?" Compare their arms, stats, and what you see, don't add phony intangibles that boil down to "I like this guy more."

I don't know if it qualifies as leadership but I sure am glad our QB doesn't pout like a child on the sidelines in front of his teammates when things don't go well for him. A prime example of this was after one of his interceptions. One of the Jets coaches walked over to the bench, where Geno was pouting, with printouts of what I'm assuming were pictures of the coverage on the int. Rather than look at them to see what he was seeing in the coverage that confused him, he pushed the printouts away and the coach just walked away. Most QB'S immediately want to see those printouts so that they don't make the same mistake (see Brees, Brady, Manning to name a few). Regardless of whether or not that constitutes leadership, I don't want that type of player on my team.

Edited by KikoSeeBallKikoGetBall

I don't know if it qualifies as leadership but I sure am glad our QB doesn't pout like a child on the sidelines in front of his teammates when things don't go well for him. A prime example of this was after one of his interceptions. One of the Jets coaches walked over to the bench, where Geno was pouting, with printouts of what I'm assuming were pictures of the coverage on the int. Rather than look at them to see what he was seeing in the coverage that confused him, he pushed the printouts away and the coach just walked away. Most QB'S immediately want to see those printouts so that they don't make the same mistake (see Brees, Brady, Manning to name a few). Regardless of whether or not that constitutes leadership, I don't want that type of player on my team.

Yeah, but that's your "Bills fan" take on it. Look at the assumption that you made to come up with that take. "Assume they are the pictures of the coverages," but what if they were pictures of the plays he knows and has memorized? What if they guy had said, "Geno we're going to try this" and he glanced, recognized it, and the guy took it away?

Context is key, as well. Was it when the game was basically over or just after the first pick? Was he pissed at himself for losing a game all by himself? I'd rather have that kind of anger and emotion than have the QB smiling on the sidelines. Funny how when Brady makes a mistake and looks all pissed on the sidelines, the spiel is that "he's not happy with himself and that play" but when Geno gets pissed at a mistake, "he's pouty and not a leader."

Really an individual interpretation thing, and has no basis in analysis when the only evidence is a 5 second snippet from the CBS coverage.