I absolutely LOVE Doug Marrone

He changed the mentality of the team. While I'm not on the team, I feel fairly confident in saying that because I've watched every play of every game for the past 13-15 years. Things are different.

I only see a different mentality on the defense side of the ball. Pettine and his scheme gets the credit for that not Marrone. This team also has a lot more talent than we had 3 years ago. Marrones hire also fell in line with the GM hitting on some draft picks giving us immediate impact. IMO Marrone is riding coattails off of a variety circumanstances. But our record still sucks.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marrones in-game management hasn't been any better than Mularkey, Jauron, Williams, and Gailey.

I don't necessarily agree with you, but one significant difference with Marrone is that he doesn't bristle or reject the notion he can improve. He acknowledges what is going on and let's you know he's going to find ways to fix it.

That's rare. You guys who don't think Marrone's imprint is all over this team are out to lunch.

I swear to God I just logged in after hearing his interview on WGR this morning and was going to start a thread with EXACTLY the same title.

http://audio.wgr550....rone-on-wgr.htm

His passion for the game and understanding of how important this team is to the area is unbelievable.

Is it just me, or does anyone else think he sounds a little like Rudy Giuliani when he talks?

He had me at hello ... I frickin' love the guy.

His first order of business was recruiting Pettine, whose defenses have owned us and others for years. Not long after, he/they jettisoned ILB Kelvin Sheppard. At that moment, I was like Megatron Nowitzki and pushed all of my chips in to the center of the table.

Remember when the conversation surrounding both Gailey and Jauron was ... when is someone going to light a fire under these guys? "But you can't be a motivator at this level ... this is not college" ... blah blah baloney. Good coaches get the best out of their players. I think Marrone has shown several examples of this quality, starting with none other than Mario. He pushes ALL of these guys, and has high expectations. He commands respect.

Top three Marrone quotes, thus far:

3. "I can't wait to get in there and smell the breath of my players" ... (when he took the job)

2. "I'm not going to sit up here and say everything is fine and dandy" ... (when EJ hurt his knee and Kolb was knocked out)

1. "I'm pissed, I am going home, not going to talk to anyone, not even going to pet the dog."

People who demand the baby after 13 years of ineptitude, and want better gametime decisions on challenges ... get off your high horse. We can win with this guy, and we will win with this guy. You can see why players love playing for a leader like this. It's just a matter of time now.

I only see a different mentality on the defense side of the ball. Pettine and his scheme gets the credit for that not Marrone. This team also has a lot more talent than we had 3 years ago. Marrones hire also fell in line with the GM hitting on some draft picks giving us immediate impact. IMO Marrone is riding coattails off of a variety circumanstances. But our record still sucks.

Agreed. The biggest change is our mentality on defense. I think Marrone is getting a lot of credit for other people's (Pettine's) accomplishments and I put a much higher value on Pettine as a coach than Marrone and we are going to come to a juncture where Pettine is going to have head coaching offers and we are going to let him walk and our team is really going to suffer. Meanwhile we will be stuck with a head coach that doesn't add much value, loses every challenge, terrible clock management, bad goal line decisions, etc etc. He even said it himself, how do you have almost 500 yards of offense and 200 something yards rushing and lose? Yes he has admitted being wrong and vows to fix things but wouldn't you rather have a coach that makes the right decisions and adds some kind of offensive or defensive value?

Not to rain on anyone's parade...but so many loved Chan Gailey at first also.

Its all about the W's Ladies and Gents.

Don't get me wrong, as I like the guy too. I happen to like Mike Pettine more tho :D

Chan was very lovable. We learned he just wasn't a head coach, but an offensive coordinator. Marrone delegates OC and DC. He worries about motivating players and running the team. He's clearly a big picture guy who like a parcels recognizes talent and understands people, teamwork and communication.

Sure he might fail in buf this season, he may get ridden out of town, but he is going to be a winning NFL coach somewhere someday.

Marrone on WGR, talking about Graham and Goodwin, and how the QBs have been underthrowing them:

"When we throw it deep and they have to go run and get it, those two cats can go get it, and score."

It's an enjoyable listen.

in other words --our QBs stink. Someone had to say it

Given the field, Marrone was the right hire for the job, and I like his attitude. However, he needs to learn to make better game day decisions so that the L's turn into W's. The team needs to learn how to win and cannot afford to outplay an opponent, like KC, and end up losing the game.

I have noticed he has been getting better with his game day decisions. he now calls the time out on forth down before the half, to make sure they don't run the clock down and throw the hail marry. Among other things, I liked his challenge last week, if it was called a catch on the field it would not have been over turned.

Edited by buffalover4life

Please tell me what changes if for some reason Marrone takes the rest of the season off. Pettine still has the D and maybe takes over as HC and Hackett calling the offense. I fail to see what we are missing out on that Marrone does that is so amazing.

It's like when I do something good at work. Instead of getting praise my boss gets the praise. She didn't do anything. If she wasn't here would I still have done well on this task?

I'm not saying I don't see the need for head coaches I'm just questioning specifically what it is Marrone has done to get such high praise

I just tried to explain that to you. He is driving the mentality of the team, making sure the entire team is on the same page.

You seem to just say well if he wasn't here, we would be fine. But nothing to support that except well Pettine is a good coach. No one is disagreeing with that but I see a whole different attitude from the TEAM that I haven't seen in a long time. The HC sets the tone of the team. So I credit Marrone for that

Not only do I love how he has kept this team in every single game this year, I love EVERYTHING he says off the field. He really gets the whole Buffalo vibe and not only does he take losses personally, he genuinely wants to get this team to the next level for the fans and the city. This is the first time in a looong time where I have full confidence in a coach restoring glory to the Bills. He seems like he is on a mission and won't let anything stand in his way to accomplish it. You don't play solid football, we'll find someone to replace you. THIS is something I have not seen in these parts in forever.....

pretty much

This context worries me about how well he has performed with in-game management.

True- same time I love hearing him address his errors and plans to fix.

He's applied reasonable logic when explaining clock management decisions even when the decision itself was questionable.

I think the overriding point for me, and I've seen mention of this elsewhere, is the first half of the schedule was brutal, close losses against good teams were tolerable and even surprising.

Second half is a very easy schedule based on performances to date. The team better win the close ones and have some outright exercises in dominance otherwise we are going to start feeling like the team is still entrenched in the rut of futility.

Getchya popcorn ready...

I don't necessarily agree with you, but one significant difference with Marrone is that he doesn't bristle or reject the notion he can improve. He acknowledges what is going on and let's you know he's going to find ways to fix it.

That's rare. You guys who don't think Marrone's imprint is all over this team are out to lunch.

That's the one thing I do like in Marrone's speeches, he's always willing to learn and improve and admits his faults... which is why it's so frustrating that he's been poor at game management so far. He's talked up that he's on board with 'analytics' for years at Syracuse before this.

I want to like Marrone. But, he's nothing but meaningless blah blah about attitude and such so far. Pettine is the only coach where I see actual improvement

He gets Buffalo and what the Bills mean around here. The players seem to both like and respect/fear him. He puts his heart into his job, and sometimes even turns his cap around and puts his body into his teaching. If I had a son who played football, I'd hope for a guy like Doug Marrone to coach him at every level from peewee to high school to the NFL.

Funny that the two coaches who've fit blue-collar, small market Buffalo the best are a dapper intellectual from Harvard and a big slug from the Bronx.