What would everybody think about us signing Brian Orakpo in the offsea

bufffan031

Ehhh....

I mean, if we got him afforably you wouldn't see me complaining. But really? Between Lawson and SLB and Kiko becoming a rookie sensation at MLB, do we really need another Mario Williams?

Granted. if we had a real master to replace Bradham, I'd be ok with that, but I feel like our biggest weaknesses lie elsewhere.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They do when they don't resign byrd

Doubtful still. Next year they have over $11 million in dead money from cutting Fitz, Anderson and Lindell. As well as an $18.4 cap # for Mario (with negligible savings if he were to be cut)

Doubtful still. Next year they have over $11 million in dead money from cutting Fitz, Anderson and Lindell. As well as an $18.4 cap # for Mario (with negligible savings if he were to be cut)

It would still be 7-9 million not on the books. I agree it's doubtful but just saying.

I much prefer drafting your future stars and adding value free agents.

In fact I wasn't much for the signing of Mario Williams but as long as he's here, I'll cheer for him.

How about as long as he's dominating and on occasion single handedly making the difference in a W you will root for him? Show some respect. This man is extremely important to this team. Probably the most valuable single piece we have.

How about as long as he's dominating and on occasion single handedly making the difference in a W you will root for him? Show some respect. This man is extremely important to this team. Probably the most valuable single piece we have.

Well now that we're talking about it, there's a few questions.

How much does a player cost and what is his value?

It's probably a topic for another post but who is the Bills best player regardless of compensation? Who's in the discussion for that title? Is it the highest-paid player on the team or is it someone else?

Also who is the Bills best dollar for dollar value? Is it the same player? Is it a different player?

It's probably a topic for another post but who is the Bills best player regardless of compensation? Who's in the discussion for that title? Is it the highest-paid player on the team or is it someone else?

Also who is the Bills best dollar for dollar value? Is it the same player? Is it a different player?

yeah u better show some respect;)--how dare you even mention that you werent much for marios signing.

That's a really interesting question(probably deserved of its own thread).

I would say that Mario is the best player on the Bills.......but at $782K this season, Kiko is the best value for money.

We're going after value picks so everyone stop putting up these big household names. None of them will happen. If you think about our draft the last two years we have starting, Gillmore, Glenn, Bradham, EJ, Woods, and the Legend. We made smart moves for Hughes, Lawson, Leonard, and even Chandler a couple of years ago. The only flash was Mario. He looks with 20+ sacks this year to be paying off.

I see with Whaley's talent evaluation doing the same next year. Think, we can afford Mario if EJ is our QB for the next three years. By then we restructure Mario, or move on as he will be getting old. We can't afford other solid picks and current talent if we go after another big name. My hope is we stop letting talented guys we've developed get to the end of their contracts I.e. Byrd, Levitre, Peters, and so on and resign them early. We should have resigned Levitre at about 2.5 yrs. if we did that as he was never hurt, we pay 3.5-4 mil for him and our line is even more impressive this year. If we keep playing the waiting game thinking we're the smartest guy in the room, we keep losing people. That is the real killer. That + blowing up the team every three years, not finding a franchise QB, and not having a front office worth a damn is why we sucked for thirteen years.

The best thing Ralph ever did was hire Polian. Everything else positive rolled from there. Well, we now in my opinion, have good mgmt, good coaches, maybe our franchise QB, and talent on this team from some good drafts. Stay the course, make wise picks in free agency with value, draft well, and celebrate that Lombardy trophy in three years.

BILLIEVE!!!!!!

I do.

That's a really interesting question(probably deserved of its own thread).

I would say that Mario is the best player on the Bills.......but at $782K this season, Kiko is the best value for money.

I would venture Robey makes even less. Close race there as far as value goes

I would venture Robey makes even less. Close race there as far as value goes

Yep, Robey is scheduled to make $405K this season.......but in my head at least(and maybe I've got myself a bit of Kikomania), Kiko is far better value for money as a starting player playing at probowl(near probowl?) level & having seen 100% of the defensive snaps than Robey who is playing well as a part-time player.

I am sure the Skins will do everything possible to keep him. He is their best defensive player, and the team will be out of the cap jail they have been in the past two years and thus will have money to spend. He is not hitting the market. Even if so, I agree with other posters here saying that going after Orakpo or another premier type free agent is probably not the right move for this team. Stay the course.

Very interesting question. I guess there are so many different criteria you could use to judge that there could be many different names, and none would be more right or wrong than the others, it would just depend on the criteria you choose.

It might be the player that contributed most to a winning game and how many games they did so. Would it be like sacks or tackles where there were solo wins and shared wins? What about the players that were solid every game and contributed to every win and never once let the team down in any game? Sort of like the tortoise and the hare. What do you do about spurt players who have great games and then really stink it up on others? Do you subtract value for the stink it up games like a plus / minus rating in hockey? You would have to set up criteria and then evaluate everyone by the same criteria. I guess we are actually talking about "analytics or metrics" like the Bills claim they are going to set up. It would be interesting to see how it is done by the pros.

I would have trouble choosing. Sure we like to talk about the big splash players like Mario, or the QBs who are so visible. Or draft choices that immediately play big like "The Legend ".

But what about players like Carpenter that walk on the team and are expected to add points EVERY play they are on the field.

It is so had to judge since football is such a full team sport. As mentioned there is "Flash" and there is "production". It is hard to downplay the flash when football also is about not just winning, but how you win. It is not just a sport, but it is entertainment as well. As fans we want both the wins and the flash. How do we separate the value of the sport from the value of the entertainment?

Edited by simpleman

Yeah, that team that drafted Orakpo, Gronkowski, and Wilson had a killer draft!

I think he is pointing out that the no-brainer picks for the Bills at those times in those drafts where Orakpo, Gronkowski, and Wilson. Thats who I was hoping for at draft time and I know a lot of others on the board were too, specifically with Orakpo and Gronk. With Wilson, some posters want Kaepernake, some Dalton, but once those guys were taken in the 2nd, lots of those people wanted Wilson in the 3rd.

Edited by peterpan

Yep, Robey is scheduled to make $405K this season.......but in my head at least(and maybe I've got myself a bit of Kikomania), Kiko is far better value for money as a starting player playing at probowl(near probowl?) level & having seen 100% of the defensive snaps than Robey who is playing well as a part-time player.

Its also the question of #42 overall vs. UDFA. Don't get me wrong. Kiko could/should be in the running for Defensive Player of the Year if his stats continue down this road (league leader in tackles, maybe another INT or 2 and a few FF get him there IMO) let alone Defensive Rookie of the Year. But that's production you expect (eventually) from a high draft pick.

I think he is pointing out that the no-brainer picks for the Bills at those times in those drafts where Orakpo, Gronkowski, and Wilson. Thats who I was hoping for at draft time and I know a lot of others on the board were too, specifically with Orakpo and Gronk. With Wilson, some posters want Kaepernake, some Dalton, but once those guys were taken in the 2nd, lots of those people wanted Wilson in the 3rd.

I don't mean to be a jerk with this....but, again, you are combining multiple years into one mixed up story. Once those guys were taken in 2011 Wilson was a favorite in 2012.

I am sure the Skins will do everything possible to keep him. He is their best defensive player, and the team will be out of the cap jail they have been in the past two years and thus will have money to spend. He is not hitting the market. Even if so, I agree with other posters here saying that going after Orakpo or another premier type free agent is probably not the right move for this team. Stay the course.

I agree. Daniel Snyder's pockets are deep. Orakpo is not going anywhere. I would like to think this regime is better at evaluating talent than the prior. Although any fool could have seen Tavares Jackson would have been a better number 2 than anyone else we have had. Not sure but I think they will address the need for the long term in the draft.