A Few Thoughts About The Game, in no particular order....

1) I like Robey more and more every week. He made a great play on that 3rd and 3 to hold the Chiefs to a field goal in the 2nd quarter. This kid is a keeper, and they need to sign him for a few years.

2) Kudos to CJ Spiller. The guy can make plays. Hopefully with a rest he will get to full speed.

3) The middle of the Bills DL did everything I asked of them. They were not at all the problem today.

4) Question for all.....who would you rather have on your football team, Jairus Byrd or Aaron Williams? Place me in the Williams camp. And let me be the first one to admit that I thought he sucked, and was a wasted pick. He not only is a talented safety, he goes balls to the wall on every play.

5) Two passes just after the deuce at the half while KC had 2 timeouts and then an incompletion? They left the Chiefs with 1:47, after burning all of 13 seconds. Is this how it works? More about Marrone later.

6) Same old story and I know it's been told.

Some like jelly jelly,

Some like gold.

Many a man's done a terrible thing,

just to get baby,

a shiny diamond ring.

7) It's a shame that Tuel has a worse arm than an average high school quarterback. He does seem to feel the pass rush. That said, he should be cut, and I am talking about tonight.

8) I always did like Chandler, but he had 2 drops today that turned my stomach. It's time for another tight end folks.

9) Speaking of drops, the one by Easley was rather gut wrenching, no?

10) Help me here.....was there a worse call in NFL history than the one which resulted in a 101 yard pick six? I hate to be to critical of Saint Marrone. Wait..... this is a lie. He is an amateur. A rank amateur. He hasn't a clue. Not one freaking clue.

11) Gilmore was brutal today. How long must we wait for him to produce? Maybe we should wait for his contract to expire and slap the franchise tag on him, no?

12) HUGE shout out to Coach Petine!!! He is doing a splendid job with what he has, despite being hamstrung by the coaching on the offensive side and of course from the top.

13) On the pass on which Woods was banged up (late 3rd quarter) he was held for 5, maybe 10 yards. Am I the only one who saw this?

14) Kiko is on a fast track to being all pro. He is a pleasure to watch.

15) Lots of talent on this roster. Good quarterback play and we are a legit team, let alone a very good one.

16) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Bill from NYC

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed with a lot of this. However:

5 - I like having both! They are both playmakers and I do truly love Williams' baller attitude.

10 - The play call was the problem? I saw a wide open Stevie and Tuel just threw it to the wrong guy. Should have been an easy TD.

I agree with everything except your take on coaching. IF anything Marrone, Hackett and Pettine deserve medals for what they've been able to accomplish with the circumstances given. We outplayed an undefeated team with our 4th string QB and should have won. I have n problem with the play call. In fact, if there was a 3rd straight run that failed half this board would be bithching abouty that. Tuel made a bad decision and worse throw. and trying to get points before half ESPECIALLY given how our D played today I have ZERO issue with. Again, play it safe and half or more of this board is bitching about it. Frankly I like playing to win rather thanto "not lose".

I see nothing but progress. I feel we win the AFCE next year.....and will be in the mox every year going forward

Agreed with a lot of this. However:

5 - I like having both! They are both playmakers and I do truly love Williams' baller attitude.

10 - The play call was the problem? I saw a wide open Stevie and Tuel just threw it to the wrong guy. Should have been an easy TD.

Which would be the correct assessment if your veteran QB was playing. But if you have a undrafted rookie in his first ever start, you simply don't put him in the position of having to make a quick read/throw in traffic because of the increased risk of something bad happening.

If they run the ball the worse case is a FG and a 10 point lead when the defense is shutting down everything KC tries.

It's about situational awareness and the coaching staff had none on that play. And it cost Buffalo the game.

10 - is so off base I don't even know how to comment on it ... Some really good points otherwise as always Bill. Coaching is the difference keeping this team going and competitive this year however. Gilmore was both good and bad today too. Touch matchup but overall he got the better of it with Bowe.

Which would be the correct assessment if your veteran QB was playing. But if you have a undrafted rookie in his first ever start, you simply don't put him in the position of having to make a quick read/throw in traffic because of the increased risk of something bad happening.

If they run the ball the worse case is a FG and a 10 point lead when the defense is shutting down everything KC tries.

It's about situational awareness and the coaching staff had none on that play. And it cost Buffalo the game.

I understand that point. Fair enough.

10 - is so off base I don't even know how to comment on it ... Some really good points otherwise as always Bill. Coaching is the difference keeping this team going and competitive this year however. Gilmore was both good and bad today too. Touch matchup but overall he got the better of it with Bowe.

Gilmore allowed more catches than he should have, but to his credit they were only short passes. Don't think his wrist is ready to play press, which is his strength.

15) Lots of talent on this roster. Good quarterback play and we are a legit team, let alone a very good one.

The Bills don't have a good quarterback.

Moreover, if the Bills did have a good quarterback we would be providing opposing teams defensive coordinators film to plan against. Our current quarterback-by-rotation confuses opposing teams defensive coordinators because they don't know which Bills quarterback they will be playing against.

It looks interesting for the Bills for a while but the Bills end up losing the game.

Can't sum it up much better than this.

How did the pass calls at the end of 2Q hurt the Bills?

Regarding the Pick Six, Marrone didn't actually make the play call, did he?

The Chiefs had 2 timeouts. The Bills could have forced them to use them.

As for the pick six, if Marrone didn't make that call, he should have. Great coaches take charge when it counts. This is what makes them great.

I'm not ready to give up on Gilmore but he was the worst player in the secondary today. If you didn't see that, you weren't watching.

With Manuel, this is a win.

RE Byrd, the Bills look pretty smart for avoiding the franchise tag. He is good. He's not great. I doubt the Bills can keep him after that hold out but I hope so.

Marrone:

"I'm freaking going to ... I'm pissed. I'm going to use that energy, and I'm going to go home. I'm not going to talk to anybody. I'm just going to shut it down, be by myself. I'm not going to pet my dog. I'm going to get fired up, and I'm going to come to work tomorrow. I'm going to watch this film.

"I'm going to be a pro. I'm going to be a man. I'm just going to look at it. What can we do better? How do we coach things better situationally? What can I do first? What can the coaches do second?

"We're going to work and get ready to go. I mean, we're not out of the playoffs. We're a good football team that's not making the plays that it has to make. We play extremely hard. We fight through adversity. But we're just not making the plays at the times we need to make it, and that's everybody."

As for the pick six, if Marrone didn't make that call, he should have. Great coaches take charge when it counts. This is what makes them great.

Interesting. I blame Tuel. I know the argument that they should have been more conservative and settled for 3 but you have to have a little faith that your QB won't make a bad decision there. I mean, even if he takes a sack, it's a pretty easy FG. HTuel just screwed the pooch.

I don't mind if he's the 3rd stringer from here on out but please let's not see him on the field again this year.

Right, but it's not as if the Chiefs did anything with the ball on the ensuing possession, and they had shown an inability to move the ball to that point.

I don't know who made the 3rd down call, but, IMO, it's grasping at straws to hold Marrone responsible for a bad play call.

I'm not ready to give up on Gilmore but he was the worst player in the secondary today. If you didn't see that, you weren't watching.

RE Byrd, the Bills look pretty smart for avoiding the franchise tag. He is good. He's not great. I doubt the Bills can keep him after that hold out but I hope so.

I think you mean avoiding giving him top safety money. Dude is not quite worth the money he wants, but he is a great safety. His presence affects the passing game. I can't think of any negative plays by him since his return.

I agree Gilmore was the worst in the secondary today. However the rest of the secondary played extremely well and Gilmore had by far the hardest assignment w/ Bowe - I'd take Bowe's #'s against Gimore today. Could have been better for sure...

Also--any updates on Goodwin and Woods? Both getting hurt concerns me--they aren't going far with Easley and Graham.

I am waiting patiently on this information as well. Woods had x-rays and they were negative, but no word on whether or not it could be something else.

Goodwin is a serious baller, but he seems to get injured every week.

1) I like Robey more and more every week. He made a great play on that 3rd and 3 to hold the Chiefs to a field goal in the 2nd quarter. This kid is a keeper, and they need to sign him for a few years.

2) Kudos to CJ Spiller. The guy can make plays. Hopefully with a rest he will get to full speed.

3) The middle of the Bills DL did everything I asked of them. They were not at all the problem today.

4) Question for all.....who would you rather have on your football team, Jairus Byrd or Aaron Williams? Place me in the Williams camp. And let me be the first one to admit that I thought he sucked, and was a wasted pick. He not only is a talented safety, he goes balls to the wall on every play.

5) Two passes just after the deuce at the half while KC had 2 timeouts and then an incompletion? They left the Chiefs with 1:47, after burning all of 13 seconds. Is this how it works? More about Marrone later.

6) Same old story and I know it's been told.

Some like jelly jelly,

Some like gold.

Many a man's done a terrible thing,

just to get baby,

a shiny diamond ring.

7) It's a shame that Tuel has a worse arm than an average high school quarterback. He does seem to feel the pass rush. That said, he should be cut, and I am talking about tonight.

8) I always did like Chandler, but he had 2 drops today that turned my stomach. It's time for another tight end folks.

9) Speaking of drops, the one by Easley was rather gut wrenching, no?

10) Help me here.....was there a worse call in NFL history than the one which resulted in a 101 yard pick six? I hate to be to critical of Saint Marrone. Wait..... this is a lie. He is an amateur. A rank amateur. He hasn't a clue. Not one freaking clue.

11) Gilmore was brutal today. How long must we wait for him to produce? Maybe we should wait for his contract to expire and slap the franchise tag on him, no?

12) HUGE shout out to Coach Petine!!! He is doing a splendid job with what he has, despite being hamstrung by the coaching on the offensive side and of course from the top.

13) On the pass on which Woods was banged up (late 3rd quarter) he was held for 5, maybe 10 yards. Am I the only one who saw this?

14) Kiko is on a fast track to being all pro. He is a pleasure to watch.

16) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No offense, but you contradict yourself every week in regards to Marrone. You say things about the fight this team has, heart, or how a legit QB and we are a really good team. Where do you think that has come from? The culture of this team has taken a complete 180. We would have been blown out in many of these games with the last staff. The team had no fight, no swagger, and let the opponents dictate what they did on both sides of the ball.

Marrone is NOT the issue. Marrone deserves a lot of credit as we have been in position to win EVERY game we have been in, and should have won almost all of them despite the fact we have mostly started 3rd string and PS QB's for more than half the season, were missing a 1/3rd of our starting D for a large part of the season, had key injuries to top 3 offensive weapons in Stevie, CJ, and Freddie. Yet this team fights and fights each and every week.

We are on the right track...the FO and Staff have done a phenomenal job reshaping this football team in its first season. It isn't showing in the W/L column, but its showing in the use your eyes column and anyone can see that once the QB spot is stabilized we will be a major threat for the division crown. The D is getting better as it gets healthy, the Offense has been relevant despite having irrelevant QB's for a lot of the season. To hate on Marrone is really misguided right now.

And FYI: most of your complaints have been about his play calling, except he doesn't call plays...at all...Hacket does.

Finally, I don't get your hate for Gilmore...one this kid has real talent...two, this kid is still trying to get into midseason form after missing so much time...three, he has not played any where near as bad as you write about. Feels a lot like FireChans rants about CJ which are silly because he's been playing with an injury that is substantial for a RB.

I dont get the Marrone hate from the OP....I see a TEAM gelling....much like the 87 then 88 teams. i think 86 Bills went 4-12, then the strike season was 87...right? marrone has the team doing alot of good things...hitting on more and more cylinders every week...Marrone DID get Pettine, the O got almost 500 yards with a 4 th string qb! Sheesh.... seriously what other team would be doing well with a rookie UDFA 4 deep at the helm....I am not down at all on these Bills I think next year is going to be ....whelp kinda like the 89 team

Gilmore sucked, and I said that many times today watching the game.

He got worked.

As for Marrone, the more I think about it the more I agree. Tuel was playing well up to that point for the most part, but he still has no business being out there and Marrone and co should know this. Hand the ball off, if you get a touchdown great, if not you kick 3 and go up 10 half way through the 3rd and KC struggling to move the ball.

Bottom line, OBDs management of the QB situation is costing us a chance at the playoffs.

Thank you for this.

If this was the first time this happened, it wouldn't be THAT much of a big deal. But Marrone is screwing up before halftime week after f&*%$#g week. He doesn't deserve a pass for this ongoing display of inadequate coaching.

You say things about the fight this team has, heart, or how a legit QB and we are a really good team. Where do you think that has come from?

That's easy:

1) Pettine is great. He really is. He puts players such as Searcy and Robey to make plays. He's the best we have had at DC as far back as I can remember. The aggression is just fantastic.

2) Mario has 11 sacks.

3) Between Dareus, KW, and Branch, the Bills are stong up the middle.

4) Kiko and Woods are 2nd round picks playing at first round level.

5) Glenn looks like a totally legit LT.

6) Hughes for Sheppard.

Credit Marrone as you choose, I will go with the above.

That's easy:

1) Pettine is great. He really is. He puts players such as Searcy and Robey to make plays. He's the best we have had at DC as far back as I can remember. The aggression is just fantastic.

2) Mario has 11 sacks.

6) Hughes for Sheppard.

Pettine didn't dial up an offense that got almost 500 total yards.

Edited by garbag3man

8: Chandler had a rough day, but he wasn't the problem, and it's not his fault that Goodwin (?) blocked a nice first down pass to him.

10: Marrone/Hackett had some boneheaded play calls; I'll go with these:

(a) First and goal from the one, try a sneak out of spread formation. Same for second. Same for third. Never tried, and that INT was the result.

(b) Running Spiller into the line at the end of the first half. Look, if you want to go for yardage, by all means, take a chance. It's not supposed to be a playoff year anyway, so some sideline routes might have been nice. If you want to kneel, that's ok too, I guess. Know what's NOT ok? Running your half-injured star running back into the line for no reason whatsoever.

But all in all, I like Marrone. A LOT. He's learning. I'm not as sure about Hackett. And there was some very good play calling, too, that doesn't stand out, including the brilliant run strategy.

11: I actually thought Gilmore was very, very good.

He is signed through 2015. http://www.overtheca...n=CB&Team=Bills

Also, how in the world do you include pretentious lyrics, yet ignore TJ Graham's continued ineptitude today?

Edited by Beebes Bubble

I will watch NFL rewind later this week.

As a general rule, any time the opposition scores 101 yd Pick-6, it seems to me there are 11 guys with a chance to shut it down and the coach isn't one of them.

Additional thoughts to add to the mix:

The Bills D continues to gel and improve.

With all the injuries at QB AND WR, it's as hard to assemble an effective pass game as it is to evaluate the players involved.

Cordy Glenn dominated Tamba Hali. Hali came into the game with 9 sacks in 8 games and didn't get near Tuel. It was a complete and utter domination by Cordy.

One thing Tuel did well: He felt the rush and his internal clock were good.

The Bills didn't allow a sack to the best pass rushing team in the NFL.

That's easy:

2) Mario has 11 sacks.

6) Hughes for Sheppard.

This is essentially the same roster at most of the key positions as last year. Last years team had no fight. The staff last year even said how the other teams pushed them around and dictated what they did...thats right out of the mouth of the HC multiple times last year. This team was pathetic last few years. This team this year, with 3rd string and 4th strong QB's for half the games is averaging 22 PPG. Last years team 21.9 PPG and they had several games where we were blown out and got a couple garbage time TD's late to pad our scores.

This team has not been blown out, this offense has been scoring despite SJ, CJ, Freddie being hobbled and 3rd string and 4th string QB's playing. So to say its ONLY the D is blind ranting with no factual points. This team is BETER AS A WHOLE, not just the defense and thats with a TON of injuries to critical players.

To say its only Pettine and the D is pointless hate for the HC. Marrone and the whole staff have done a wonderful job changing the culture. We would have been blown out in many of these games under these conditions with Gailey here. In fact, I have no doubt we would not even have 3 wins, and we would not have been in position to win all these games like we have.

Edited by Alphadawg7