Thad listed as doubtful

tito1

Here is what Thad did. He got us to OT against a very good Bengals team and got us our first road win against a decent Dolphins team. Tuel had his shot! He knew the system when he got called into the game in CLE. Backups need to be ready to come in and perform when they get a chance and he failed in the most miserable way possible. He choked. He cannot play QB in the NFL this year. Clearly not ready. And if Marrone lets him back into a game this season, let alone STARTS him in the most important game of the year, then he's not ready for the NFL either.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not arguing with your projection that we are "toast" but to judge Tuel based on his performance against the Browns is difficult. He only had limited snaps and coaches spent all their time with EJ. This week, however, he has spent time with the first team (WR's, TE's, RB's). He has had significant snaps. Let's see how he does (if he does, in fact, play).

though you could likely project based on his lackluster college career, undrafted status, and every preseason game besides the colts one - in addition to the browns game.

i hope he proves me wrong, but i think there are plenty of showings that add up to good reason to be skeptical that he would be ready to play extended stretches immediately.

Last I checked Kolb never made it to the opening season roster. So someone in the organization thought that Tuel was ready, and they were very wrong.

I would agree, it seems as though they were wrong based on his performance in the Cleveland game. However, I think you have to look at what we knew (or had) prior to that game. The facts are:

1. Tuel was on the roster from day one of training camp and at least had a good understanding of the offense.

2. Kolb and EJ were competing for the starter/backup spot.

3. When Kolb went down, that essentially gifted the starting role to EJ and the backup to Tuel.

4. Based upon Tuel's preseason and camp performance, he seemed capable to be a backup.

5. When EJ hurt his knee (the 1st time), they immediately went out and brought in several QBs. Granted, at the time the pickings were quite slim.

6. A week later we enter the regular season preparation. EJ, at that time, was deemed healthy and would start.

The point of contention then becomes... do you go with Tuel as the backup - a guy that had been on the team from day 1 and didn't look all that bad in the preseason? Or do you name Thad your backup - a practice squad cut that had been on the team one week?

At the time, I think they took the prudent approach, given the information at the time, entering the season. After the Browns game, they had 10days to think, re-evaluate, and considering Thad had been on the team for over a month and had a better grasp of the offense, they promoted him up.

In some ways, we're here again. If the starter can't start, do you start the guy that's been here since day one and knows the offense or do you start the guy that's had 2 weeks to learn the offense? Flynn may have more experience, but as we all saw with Freeman, if he doesn't know the offense all the experience accounts for squat.

So, in the end, I think they've dealt with a sucky situation about as well as they could. The mistake was probably thinking Kolb would be a viable QB on this roster. If he doesn't get injured in preseason, this is all a mute discussion. If EJ doesn't get injured, this is a mute discussion. But, when your top 2 QBs get injured, repeatedly it's almost a lose lose situation.

Not sure what the bone of contention is here, but it would seem Marrone and Hackett both thought he was ready and they were willing to gamble on that decision. Both were very wrong and Marrone has said as much without publicly running Tuel over with the bus. I doubt we'll hear anything from Hackett, but it's safe to assume he feels the same way.

very rare that your third qb is ever "ready" and that is what they carried him as. when #2 went down, they brought in thad to be #2 but it takes more than a weeks notice usually. so tuel was the place holder for that spot.

then we became thin on roster spots so he continued to hold the spot until a real #2 was needed to step in. then the bills signed flynn and dixon to step over him.

my take is they realized he had potential but was not ready pretty early in the process but have been hamstrung by situation.

So, in the end, I think they've dealt with a sucky situation about as well as they could. The mistake was probably thinking Kolb would be a viable QB on this roster. If he doesn't get injured in preseason, this is all a mute discussion. If EJ doesn't get injured, this is a mute discussion. But, when your top 2 QBs get injured, repeatedly it's almost a lose lose situation.

I tend to agree. What it really all comes back to is they blew it with their handling of Tarvaris Jackson. Keep him on the roster a bit longer, let things shake themselves out in preseason, and we'd probably be looking at a roster to start the season of EJ/Jackson/Tuel. Now, maybe you'd still have injuries and be left scrambling, but from a durability standpoint Jackson has always seemed like a better bet than Kolb.

Yeah cuz we all know that's all Thad did, right?

Umm, yeah, that is basically what he did. He made several nice throws, made several bad mistakes, and was largely flustered by the pressure. Thad is just as raw as any of these other guys. Whoever starts on Sunday, if they can successfully complete several third downs throws and not turn the ball over, I would call it a major success.

I just find him to be intriguing, maybe because he is an unknown and he gave us some flashes of potential against Indy.

The reality of the situation is that for him to perform at the level of Thad, all he needs to do is make maybe 4-5 good throws at some point, take fewer than 4 sacks, and not turn the ball over 3 times.

You know, after thinking about it, the bold text is absolutely true. Maybe a solid week of preparation gives him what he needs to just manage the game.

I was never seduced by his performance against Indy. He was playing against guys that are flipping burgers right now for the most part and there was no game planning to speak of. Against Washington, the story was different and he looked every bit the raw rookie QB.

GO BILLS!!!

So that is what you're positing? A full-on desist of any and all discussion on decisions or actions not yet made?

He's listed as doubtful. Should we talk about the game as if he's going to play?

Or just not talk about the game at all?

Do you think it makes no difference who the quarterback is thus the conversation is pointless?

What I am "positing" is that you state assumptions as though they are fact, and just run with it like a fool. Let us know when an actual decision is made before using that as your basis to belittle others.

What I am "positing" is that you state assumptions as though they are fact, and just run with it like a fool. Let us know when an actual decision is made before using that as your basis to belittle others.

Hahaha, right. I'm standing alone shouting into the ether about Jeff Tuel starting. It's a one-man conversation that you're crusading against.

You know, after thinking about it, the bold text is absolutely true. Maybe a solid week of preparation gives him what he needs to just manage the game.

I was never seduced by his performance against Indy. He was playing against guys that are flipping burgers right now for the most part and there was no game planning to speak of. Against Washington, the story was different and he looked every bit the raw rookie QB.

GO BILLS!!!

Against Washington he looked raw...against KC he'd be cooked.

Against Washington he looked raw...against KC he'd be cooked.

I'm thinking he looked cooked against Cleveland. Against KC, I think he'll look over-done.

But seriously, it doesn't matter who plays QB. It's on our D and running game, anyway. I think our D is gonna have one of those D-defining days and I've been predicting all week that we're gonna run all over them. Especially if CJ can give us anything at all.

GO BILLS!!!

Not sure who starts and really not sure if it matters if the Oline does not do a better job pass protecting then they did last week in NO. KC has a very good pass rush, so honestly it is not like we need a drop back and scan the field approach. Hackett and Marrone need to run the ball mix in screens, slants, and maybe a bomb or two to Goodwinn/Graham. Work the middle of the field with Chandler for a couple plays. Biggest thing if Tuel or Flynn starts is not to get down early.

No idea - just got the text alert from the bills website. As marone said "it could be anyone"

Ej not running out of bound really pees me off.

Thank you. I mean I love the kid, but I honestly put the blame on him for that injury. I'm thinking at the very lease we should be 4-4 right now with a win over either Cleveland that night, or Cincy.

I know I am being obviously subjective here, but I would really like our chances with him going into the KC game...less with Thad...possibly saying good-bye to the season with Tuel.

Jeepers, how pathetic is it as a fan that I would be thrilled even if we didn't make the playoffs, but at least were in the conversation at the end?!

Going down to 3-6 just about kills those thoughts even if you go on a nice run of games.

...I can't help but be a baby and be fussy right now. I don't want to see EJ back when we are 3-7 and starting to prep for next season. I want him back now, dang it!