Annoying Announcers and My Thoughts

The thing I can't stand is how so many announcers for the NFL just blindly idolize key players to the point where the bias is nauseating. Guys like Brees and Brady never make poor plays, or are forced into bad plays because of good defense, there is just constant fellating and worship. See and react to what is going on in front of you for what it is - have an original thought. Dierdorf hysterically making excuses for every bad play Brady makes is beyond ridiculous.

I personaly end up muting pretty any game Brady is playing in now - I muted the game yesterday when somehow Dierdorf managed to start talking about Brady for absolutely no reason whatsoever other than to profess more love for him.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's what he said, but I am not buying it completely. It seemed like the coverage was desiged for Hughes to stay shallow, and then to get some safety help over the top. While theoretically, Hughes was to blame because they caught us in a bad play (as I think Marrone said), I am not convinced that the play call was THAT bad, and that Hughes was meant to go one-on-one with a receiver down the field. There had to be deep help there as part of that play design.

Looked to me that Gilmore f***d up. He should have taken Stills instead of following the WR that ran over the middle as their was a safaety there. Had to know there was absolutley no one back there near the sideline. I that was Hughes man he should have seen him come free and take him vs staying with his assignment. Single coverage over the middle was better than no coverage and a TD.

Yes they don't analyze anything. They just drone on questioning play calling, referee calls, coaching decisions which is not their job instead of taking us further inside the game, which is.

. . .

People may disagree but that is what I enjoy about collinsworth, he always points out some detail within the chess game that makes it more interesting.

Agreed. Collinsworth gave me something last night in the Packers game.

On a successful play to the right flat (a screen or designed run) he pointed out why it worked so well. 2 packers receivers were lined up to the right. At the snap, both ran square outs.

Collinsworth pointed out that, on that type of play, the receivers are taught to not look back for the ball - just run the route. Why? (as they are showing the replay to underscore Collinsworth's point). Because it was Man coverage. If the cbs see the wr look back, then they will look back and see the run coming their way. So the WRs just keep running away from the play and the man-coverage cbs blindly follow.

This is what I want from a color man. Little "chess" tidbits.

I was left wondering if Dierdorf was cheating on Tom Brady with Drew Brees.....

Seriously

A few things that drove me nuts about the game....but I FULLY expected these things to not go our way

- The pass to Chandler in the end zone......corner never looked for the ball......pinned one of chandlers arms...and road him all the way through the play....and Chandler almost STILL made that catch for a TD

- The "Holding" that brought back Grahams TD catch.......that goes on EVERY play....EVERY play.....it was a really really weak call

- The holding on Mario that was only called when the pass into the end zone was intercepted by McKelvin but luckily for the saints Mario inadvertantly facemasked the QB......

- The last time I checked shoving a DL in the back after being beaten so your QB doesnt get sacked was a penalty....ALL GAME MAN

How many points did we lose by?

I was left wondering if Dierdorf was cheating on Tom Brady with Drew Brees.....

Seriously

A few things that drove me nuts about the game....but I FULLY expected these things to not go our way

- The pass to Chandler in the end zone......corner never looked for the ball......pinned one of chandlers arms...and road him all the way through the play....and Chandler almost STILL made that catch for a TD

- The "Holding" that brought back Grahams TD catch.......that goes on EVERY play....EVERY play.....it was a really really weak call

- The holding on Mario that was only called when the pass into the end zone was intercepted by McKelvin but luckily for the saints Mario inadvertantly facemasked the QB......

- The last time I checked shoving a DL in the back after being beaten so your QB doesnt get sacked was a penalty....ALL GAME MAN

How many points did we lose by?

The depth of the NFL's conspiracy against the Bills knows no bounds.

I think John from Hemet is spot-on in his criticism of the officials. But the calls were bad for both teams. Those false start penalties on Brees were a joke, as were almost every roughing penalty in the game on both teams. When you're the underdog though, those seem to end up hurting you more. We had to play a perfect game yesterday.

I think John from Hemet is spot-on in his criticism of the officials. But the calls were bad for both teams. Those false start penalties on Brees were a joke, as were almost every roughing penalty in the game on both teams. When you're the underdog though, those seem to end up hurting you more. We had to play a perfect game yesterday.

Officiating in the NFL is almost always going to be bad in my opinion. Too much going on at once, over-regulated to almost an absurd degree, and an average age of officials somewhere between 100 and 150 years old. Unless things are drastically changed, I think bad officiating is to be expected.

Gumbel is whatever. Doesn't bother me or get me excited either. But Dierdorf is the worst. I can't imagine he has ever successfully courted a woman. He is so boring and just talks and talks. When one of my friends is being annoying, I just call them a Dierdorf.

this! Dan Dierdorf says less with more words than any other human being alive (accept for all the Professional Politicians running our country, that is). When you look up the word "drone" in the dictionary, his picture is there beside it.

To Drone = to speak tediously in a dull monotonous tone: that's DD.

Edited by CSBill

Im actually not calling conspiracy....I will say that certain with certain teams the calls are going to go their way the majority of the time if its a toss up.....

For instance.....calls on the field that cannot be overturned when they go under the hood.....it was called the Saints way BOTH times......and then Marrone threw the challenge flag. I mean come on.....on the Fred Jacksn TD challenge you could clearly see the pile surge to break the plane....that SHOULD have been the call on the field.

I know we lost by a ton....but when you pick up all those bricks and put them together it makes for a heck of a mailbox

Stevie Johnson doesn't get hero points from me. He essentially left us with 10 players on the field. he played great early but got hurt. I would have rather had Easley out there for some jump balls. His ego hurt the team.

1. He still made some plays out there even while hobbling. 2. The coach is in charge, not SJ. Marrone could have pulled him out, if he so chose. Marrone wants tough dudes and in the NFL dudes have to play hurt and still make plays. Be happy we have a team that is showing to be capable of that; from FredEx to Thad to Stevie to Spiller to Lawson.

They play through hurts and contribute in big and small ways. With limited roster numbers on game day (47 players), having a guy out is crushing. Especially when the situation would leave more young backups on the field with our young backup QB.

Edited by purple haze

Well....there is always classic Van. This is how it's done.

http://www.staffannouncer.com/audio/houstoncomeback1.mp3

everyone stop and listen to this, oh the memories . . . I know right where I was and the chairs I was sitting that day—I had to switch at halftime because the first half chair just wasn't working . . . and why have I not sat in that chair every game since?

Im actually not calling conspiracy....I will say that certain with certain teams the calls are going to go their way the majority of the time if its a toss up.....

For instance.....calls on the field that cannot be overturned when they go under the hood.....it was called the Saints way BOTH times......and then Marrone threw the challenge flag. I mean come on.....on the Fred Jacksn TD challenge you could clearly see the pile surge to break the plane....that SHOULD have been the call on the field.

I know we lost by a ton....but when you pick up all those bricks and put them together it makes for a heck of a mailbox

Perhaps not. But after every game, every season you can come here and see threads and numerous posts about how the refs screwed the Bills over and generally cost them the game. The only way for that to happen would be a conspiracy.

Wow. WAYYYYYYY too much hate on this board. I thought they called a fair game. They critiqued both teams equally. I don't understand why everyone's all pissed off at Gumble and Dierdorf when you all should be upset about the fact the Bills just got their asses handed to them by New Orleans.

I agree !! This is a sore loser thred. If your winning no one cares who's calling the game!

Greg Grumble and Dan Dierdorf get paid too much money to not know anything about teams and their play. erss. It felt like our team had gotten off the short bus. They treated us like we should get little trophies for trying or showing up for the game at all. Excuse me? Isn't this professional football? Everyone is making a ton of money, and had to have enough talent to make it onto the field. So how about analyzing the plays and schemes for why they worked or didn't work instead of treating us as if it was an anomaly why we were there in the first place.

Next, the referees seemed questionable to me. The false starts on Brees were a positive because you don't see it called enough where the QB makes snap movements trying to bring the DL across. But MW was held on almost every single play. When they finally call it, it's off setting because he hit Brees in the head because he was getting held. Then the call holding on our deep TD to Graham one a hold that was 1/10 what MW saw all game. Finally, the challenge with Fred in the endzone. One shot clearly shows he had the ball in his left arm. Another shot showed his entire left side of his body in the endzone. But the ball didn't break the plane? Yeah right.

Doug Marrone was totally schooled in clock management at the end of the half. I had no doubt that NO would score with under 4 minutes to play. Which reminds me, the prevent defense has to go! Pettine should have kept calling the plays that kept the game close to that point. The clock won't save you!

Stevie Johnson doesn't get hero points from me. He essentially left us with 10 players on the field. he played great early but got hurt. I would have rather had Easley out there for some jump balls. His ego hurt the team.

Ignored everything you said once you put the blame on Stevie going back in solely on his feet. This isn't backyard football. The head coach, O-coord, and WR coach all allowed him to go back in the game and STILL MAKE PLAYS. You would have to be a blubbering fool if you believe it was all on Stevie to go back in. Look at the spiller situation. Spiller said he could go the coach said no so spiller didn't play.

Greg Grumble and Dan Dierdorf get paid too much money to not know anything about teams and their play. erss. It felt like our team had gotten off the short bus. They treated us like we should get little trophies for trying or showing up for the game at all. Excuse me? Isn't this professional football? Everyone is making a ton of money, and had to have enough talent to make it onto the field. So how about analyzing the plays and schemes for why they worked or didn't work instead of treating us as if it was an anomaly why we were there in the first place.

Next, the referees seemed questionable to me. The false starts on Brees were a positive because you don't see it called enough where the QB makes snap movements trying to bring the DL across. But MW was held on almost every single play. When they finally call it, it's off setting because he hit Brees in the head because he was getting held. Then the call holding on our deep TD to Graham one a hold that was 1/10 what MW saw all game. Finally, the challenge with Fred in the endzone. One shot clearly shows he had the ball in his left arm. Another shot showed his entire left side of his body in the endzone. But the ball didn't break the plane? Yeah right.

Doug Marrone was totally schooled in clock management at the end of the half. I had no doubt that NO would score with under 4 minutes to play. Which reminds me, the prevent defense has to go! Pettine should have kept calling the plays that kept the game close to that point. The clock won't save you!

I saw the game at a bar with the sound down, so I was spared Dierdorf's 'doofery'.

I must say, how the ref's could not reverse that Jackson call is beynd me. Their calling of the entire game was baffling. The roughing the passer call on the Bills. Phantom holding. The holding non calls. Ridiculous.

Dierdorf and Gumble are not good. Tasker is amongst the worst in my opinion. Dull, and seems very out of touch with the game...annoying even.

Mike Mayock, IMO, is amongst the best. Has the most to offer in terms of player background due to his responsibility as draft analyst...also knows a lot about the X's and O's and explains the game very well.

I agree !! This is a sore loser thred. If your winning no one cares who's calling the game!

I disagree!!! Bad announcing is inexcusable. It is a profession and should be critiqued. I have often been irritated by bad announcing in a winning effort.