Annoying Announcers and My Thoughts

Greg Grumble and Dan Dierdorf get paid too much money to not know anything about teams and their play. erss. It felt like our team had gotten off the short bus. They treated us like we should get little trophies for trying or showing up for the game at all. Excuse me? Isn't this professional football? Everyone is making a ton of money, and had to have enough talent to make it onto the field. So how about analyzing the plays and schemes for why they worked or didn't work instead of treating us as if it was an anomaly why we were there in the first place.

Next, the referees seemed questionable to me. The false starts on Brees were a positive because you don't see it called enough where the QB makes snap movements trying to bring the DL across. But MW was held on almost every single play. When they finally call it, it's off setting because he hit Brees in the head because he was getting held. Then the call holding on our deep TD to Graham one a hold that was 1/10 what MW saw all game. Finally, the challenge with Fred in the endzone. One shot clearly shows he had the ball in his left arm. Another shot showed his entire left side of his body in the endzone. But the ball didn't break the plane? Yeah right.

Doug Marrone was totally schooled in clock management at the end of the half. I had no doubt that NO would score with under 4 minutes to play. Which reminds me, the prevent defense has to go! Pettine should have kept calling the plays that kept the game close to that point. The clock won't save you!

Stevie Johnson doesn't get hero points from me. He essentially left us with 10 players on the field. he played great early but got hurt. I would have rather had Easley out there for some jump balls. His ego hurt the team.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't mind dietdorf complimenting our perseverance.

The problem with him and gumbel, however, is totally vapid analysis and discussion. They said nothing of consequence all day. They never really analyzed any play. for example, on the stills TD, they just were scratching their head. A good analyst would have explained the coverage, how stills got open, who should have moved where, etc.

It also doesn't help that CBS shows almost no replays. just lazy production. I almost prefer the dancing robots and dark hue of a FOX game.

The problem with him and gumbel, however, is totally vapid analysis and discussion. They said nothing of consequence all day. They never really analyzed any play. for example, on the stills TD, they just were scratching their head. A good analyst would have explained the coverage, how stills got open, who should have moved where, etc.

It also doesn't help that CBS shows almost no replays. just lazy production. I almost prefer the dancing robots and dark hue of a FOX game.

Agreed. Gumbel and dierdorf dumb it down to nothing. Far better going to the radio for sound and analysis and keep the tv muted.

Yep - this was one of those "bad" announcer days. I was constantly yelling at them to "shut the F@&k up!" I was turning the mute on constantly which I hate to do

when watching a football game.....they were that bad IMO.

At one point, when Marrone challenged the spot of the ball, Gumbel was psychoanalyzing Marrone , " I wonder what the man is thinking? Perhaps he doesn't know that he will

have no more challenges? Why would anyone ever challenge a spot of the ball"?

I am used to broadcasters and color commentators not following a game too closely and following their "scripted" lines a lot but sometimes it's just too much. This was going to be a blow out and that's that. That was the script.

sigh

Edited by richNjoisy

I used to actually like them as a team but Dierdorf was pretty awful yesterday

at times he couldnt even get his thought out

he also made one comment that 4th and 2 here for the Saints and Brees is a no brainer but if this were Peyton or Brady its an obvious punt...no idea what he meant by that and he never clarified

Agreed. Gumbel and dierdorf dumb it down to nothing. Far better going to the radio for sound and analysis and keep the tv muted.

Do you do anything special to get it to sync up? I would love to listen to the buffalo radio call for every game but the timing is always a little off.

Yep - this was one of those "bad" announcer days. I was constantly yelling at them to "shut the F@&k up!" I was turning the mute on constantly which I hate to do

when watching a football game.....they were that bad IMO.

I must have said the exact same thing about 100 times during the game. My gf started to laugh at me because even when he was saying something good about the Bills I couldn't help but be annoyed by him.

It was like watching a preseason game from the New Orleans feed yesterday.

You know this is true because even when the Bills were playing really well early on (defense holding the Saints), the commentary wasn't, "the Bills defense is making plays," but instead it was, "Brees really looks rusty."

I also liked how they didn't once comment on how we totally shut down Sproles and Colston. We basically forced the the Saints to go to guys like Moore and Stills to beat us, which they did. But I thought it was at least worth mentioning that the Bills did a great job of keying in on a couple of the Saints top weapons, but that the Saints did a nice job of adjusting.

Had to look it up. I like that word. Thanks.

Dierdoof...I actually sat around trying to figure out how he keeps his job. Does anyone think he is good? The television ratings for the NFL are so high, that people will obviously watch the games regardless of the announcing crew, so I would guess that the NFL does some other kind of measurement, random opinion polls or something. Seriously, I could do play by play of an NFL game, and nobody would change the channel, cuz they want to see the game.

He must have high approval from the heartland (St. Louis, Kansas City, etc.) cuz his comments are so ....I don't know how to describe it. He is like the most annoying "nice guy", coming over to your house, expressively describing the game to your grandmother, who doesn't quite understand football.

If someone out there enjoys Dan Dierdorf's work, please step forward (it's safe, we can't find you, it's the internet), and let us know what it is that appeals to you.

Edited by Marauder'sMicro

Now you can forever associate Dierdorf with the word "vapid"--his picture should be there in the dictionary!

Yeah, his gem yesterday was after the Bills failed on third down and had to punt he said "well at least they didn't turn the ball over"....!@#$ you Dan you !@#$in piece of ****.

He seems to be universally disliked. Maybe we are playing right into his hands by giving him internet action...

https://www.facebook...nDierdorfMustGo This guy cracks me up...."I will be posting a list of sponsors soon. A boycott, or just the discussion if one might get the attention of CBS."

https://www.facebook...FireDanDierdorf

http://blogs.houston...ter_fun_the.php

He is the Inspector Clouseau of announcers.

Edited by Marauder'sMicro

Yeah, his gem yesterday was after the Bills failed on third down and had to punt he said "well at least they didn't turn the ball over"....!@#$ you Dan you !@#$in piece of ****.

I remember that. Ridiculous.

Just to be fair, DD also made stupid comments towards the Saints. For example:

1) Dierdorf called out Colston for having "alligator arms," when his arms were positioned perfectly to catch a ball, but the ball was tipped at the last second.

2) Dierdorf called out Malcolm Jenkins for a horrible tackle on Tashard Choice, when it looks clear to me that Jenkins pulled back so as not to be called for a horse collar

The hilarious thing is about Gumbel and Dierdorf is that they are considered to be one of the elite broadcasting teams and they are utter crap. Vapid is an excellent word to describe the both of them. For a sport this big why aren't there better announcers who can .....ACTUALLY SEE THINGS HAPPENING!!! let alone comment with some insight on them. It is just embarrassing! But its not just the commentators who are the problem. Fox's coverage of the game yesterday was just poor. Twice the Bills were penalized for important fouls that kept drives alive and twice these penalties were not shown on replay. Its as if the guy in the truck didn't think it was necessary. On one of the penalties, the Hughes one for holding, the penalty was a complete joke. But we never got a chance to decide for ourselves because we got no replay and of course mysteriously those two boobs in the booth didn't mention it as if it wasn't important. I have noticed this on several occasions on Bills broadcasts and other NFL games. The standard for production and commentary has plummeted it an abysmal level.

How about the fact that they acted like the Bills put Jerry Hughes in coverage against Kenny Stills? Any idiot could see that there was a blown assignment in the secondary and after Brees threw the ball, Hughes started chasing him- which, I may add, he did an admirable job of and almost caught him. But they were slandering Hughes because he started chasing the guy! They were like, "look, Jerry Hughes seems like a nice guy but you can't expect him to cover Kenny Stills."