What would it take for people to take the Bills seriously?

KikO M G

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As expected, the Bills pull off the upset last Sunday and all the national write ups are about how disappointing Miami was and how poorly they played. Little mention of the Bills who now have three wins over teams that are hardly pushovers.

If the Bills win this Sunday, will the narrative change? Or will it all be about how the Saints are coming back down to earth after a hot start and perhaps they are closer to last year's 7-9 team than people thought?

I would say that all opposition teams already take the Bills seriously(as they do every team).......but that's not your point.

The media will start paying more attention to the Bills when there is something more exciting to talk about for them.

As I see it, the media focuses on 5 main factors....

Market size, QB, Super Bowl chance, other exciting play-makers & controversy.

At this point we don't tick the market size, QB, SB chance or controversy boxes......our exciting play-maker(Spiller) is not producing.....and we have two players starting to draw attention(Mario & Kiko). That means for the national public we have two small talking points at this stage.

The media is simply doing there job. That job being to entertain their audience. Unfortunately for us, our interest in the Bills is not reflected by the national majority.

As expected, the Bills pull off the upset last Sunday and all the national write ups are about how disappointing Miami was and how poorly they played. Little mention of the Bills who now have three wins over teams that are hardly pushovers.

If the Bills win this Sunday, will the narrative change? Or will it all be about how the Saints are coming back down to earth after a hot start and perhaps they are closer to last year's 7-9 team than people thought?

Narratives don't change over one game, no matter who you beat (or lose to). The Bills will be taken seriously when they 1) make the playoffs, and 2) prove that making the playoffs wasn't a fluke by being in the playoff hunt for several years.

I don't see anyone taking Tampa Bay, Oakland or Cleveland seriously either.

You're all way off the mark.

A true Franchise Quarterback.

One who gives you a REAL chance to win every game. One who national audiences want to see, and to hear about. One who makes the whole team better. Without one, we wont be taken seriously. With a win here and there, we will just be slightly more interesting for a week or two.

behind the obvious; that is, winning! This may be the most intelligent thing said onTBD in long long time . . . well done, well said

What would it take for people to take the Bills seriously? Was this a trick question? A winning record, that's what. If the Bills had 2 more W than L, they would be credited accordingly. Until then "you are what your record says you are" to the national media and only the home fans hope you are better.

I'm not saying it's fair or right, but that is how it is. Even when the Bills have won, they haven't dominated - they've squeaked by. The same can be said of their losses, of course - they could have gone either way. But you have to either dominate shockingly when you win, or just Win, baby! to be taken seriously.

If the Bills beat the Saints, Rome will have a Bills player on, the Jungle Karma will then propel us to another win against the Chiefs and the rest of the MSM will take notice.

As Rome always says, "the NFL is just a better place when the Bills are relevant." War Bills upset.

If Marrone, Hackett, Pettine & our players execute a dominant game on Sunday more people will take us seriously.

I still agree with others who say that it has to be more than just this weekend. If the Bills pull off a convincing win, it might confuse the media & experts...Brees was off his game, the NO defense was exposed, yada, yada, yada. If the Bills do it two weeks in a row against NO & KC, then some might take notice. Most, however, would feel it's a fluke if they keep either game close.

Someone said earlier that because the Bills are in a small market, they won't get the attention until they make the playoffs again. E$PN, CB$, and Fox won't waste their time with the Bills because of this - why spend time talking about Fred Jackson when you can get the attention of NYC, Dallas, and Boston by ball-washing Rex Ryan, Jerry Jones, & Tom Brady?

Getting to the playoffs will be the first step. Winning a playoff game will get them noticed.

I heard one of the announcers say last night the AFC East is tight. From NE to the Bills and NO better watch out because Buffalo is becoming dangerous. I got a chuckle out of that. But hey they mentioned Buffalo in a positive light for once. Nice to hear.

You're all way off the mark.

A true Franchise Quarterback.

One who gives you a REAL chance to win every game. One who national audiences want to see, and to hear about. One who makes the whole team better. Without one, we wont be taken seriously. With a win here and there, we will just be slightly more interesting for a week or two.

Bingo.

CBF

a CONVINCING WIN. I know a win is a win but when we win by 1 or 2 points on the last play of the game it just looks like an upset

A win over NO in the dome by 1 pt or 20 pts will be an UPSET!

I still agree with others who say that it has to be more than just this weekend. If the Bills pull off a convincing win, it might confuse the media & experts...Brees was off his game, the NO defense was exposed, yada, yada, yada. If the Bills do it two weeks in a row against NO & KC, then some might take notice. Most, however, would feel it's a fluke if they keep either game close.

Someone said earlier that because the Bills are in a small market, they won't get the attention until they make the playoffs again. E$PN, CB$, and Fox won't waste their time with the Bills because of this - why spend time talking about Fred Jackson when you can get the attention of NYC, Dallas, and Boston by ball-washing Rex Ryan, Jerry Jones, & Tom Brady?

Getting to the playoffs will be the first step. Winning a playoff game will get them noticed.

Rex Ryan Vs Belichek, Snyder Vs Jones is always more fun conversation than talking about Fred Jackson!!!

Narratives don't change over one game, no matter who you beat (or lose to). The Bills will be taken seriously when they 1) make the playoffs, and 2) prove that making the playoffs wasn't a fluke by being in the playoff hunt for several years.

I don't see anyone taking Tampa Bay, Oakland or Cleveland seriously either.

Forget about everyone else, nobody HERE should take the Bills seriously until what you state above happens.

We have to be competitive in our division, start beating the pats, and jets consistently. Let's face it, a win here and a win there every 2-3 years is hardly competitive within the division. That would be a start. Four to six divisional wins, put's us in the playoffs!

They have two big opportunities with NO and KC. If they make a splash in either one, I think the media will start taking notice.

FWIW they are taking notice as in the nail biting close games that we have witnessed these past 7 weeks.

taking notice and getting cudo's are 2 different things

I heard one of the announcers say last night the AFC East is tight. From NE to the Bills and NO better watch out because Buffalo is becoming dangerous. I got a chuckle out of that. But hey they mentioned Buffalo in a positive light for once. Nice to hear.

I read a No writer say that the Bills are a scrappy team and have been in every game. The Saints should not overlook the Bills. That was a good mention.