If you were Denver, why would you not give a 1st for pro bowl safety

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not a lie if he believes it.

Folks I was not looking to derail the thread nor to cause people to question the OP. Question the point(s) he raises if you wish but let's not pile on to him.

In some ways I was the one who was wrong for calling him out. I meant for my comments to be instructional and not harassing.

No. Which is why they are nearly unstoppable and the Bills suck. Good teams don't invest like that in a Safety. No way in hell should any team give up a first round pick for Byrd. We will most likely get a 2nd if we are lucky. 3rd or 4th more likely.

What are you talking about? So no good team would ever draft a safety in the first round? If you had the 32nd pick in next year's draft (which is what the Broncos will most likely have) and your biggest need was safety and you drafted one and he turned out to be Jairus Byrd, you wouldn't be happy with that? All that being said, I do not think they will get a first for him. But he will definitely get a 2nd if he agrees to a contract ahead of time.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

What are you talking about? So no good team would ever draft a safety in the first round? If you had the 32nd pick in next year's draft (which is what the Broncos will most likely have) and your biggest need was safety and you drafted one and he turned out to be Jairus Byrd, you wouldn't be happy with that? All that being said, I do not think they will get a first for him. But he will definitely get a 2nd if he agrees to a contract ahead of time.

And exactly how does he AGREE to contract ahead of time? He cannot bind himself legally in any way, nor can the team to him. You do realize that, right?

I don't care what kind of wink and nod agreement you THINK you have with such a player, there is NOTHING from stopping either party from walking. Is the spurned party going to go to the NFL and report that the other didn't live up to their end of an unenforceable contract that was made in contravention to the CBA and NFL rules?

It would be like calling the cops to report that a prostitute, with whom you agreed would blow you once you paid her a sum certain, ran off and now you didn't get your blowjob and you want the system to jump in now and enforce an unenforceable and otherwise illegal contract.

But by all means, please tell me how that works anyway.

Edited by BuffaloBob

No. Which is why they are nearly unstoppable and the Bills suck. Good teams don't invest like that in a Safety. No way in hell should any team give up a first round pick for Byrd. We will most likely get a 2nd if we are lucky. 3rd or 4th more likely.

Exactly! The worst thing that could possibly happen to a team is to have a top notch safety. You should draft for mediocrity at the safety position and pray the guy plays poorly enough so you never have to worry about overpaying him. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we keep giving up huge plays deep so that Williams never asks for a raise.

If they had a ball hawking safety to prevent big plays (which appears to be there only weakness), and Peyton stays healthy would they ever lose. If I was them, I would be happy to trade my 1st pick for a super bowl victory.

I'm sure they would consider it, were said ball-hawking pro-bowl safety signed beyond this season

The Broncos' FO strategy is: Peyton Manning + who cares = Super Bowl.

I don't think they have any real interest or motive to change the variables in the "who cares" category, because, after all, they don't care.

I had to explain to the fam what I was laughing about. Well played!

If they had a ball hawking safety to prevent big plays (which appears to be there only weakness), and Peyton stays healthy would they ever lose. If I was them, I would be happy to trade my 1st pick for a super bowl victory.

b/c i am doing just fine and i can get him for nothing in 3 months

I agree likely two 3rds or a 2nd plus a late pick and that's after Byrd comes back and proves he can play. I can't see a team investing more than a single 3rd if Byrd can't play at his previous level this season.

The only way I could see a team like Denver give up a 1st is if Byrd was playing at his previous level and he had another year left on his deal.

Byrd has a serious type of injury, has mediocre INT numbers over the past few seasons, and has now shown the NFL that he's a 'me first' type of player with the way he has handled himself as of late.

Winning teams dont want cancers. I doubt there will be any offers higher than 3rd rounders for Byrd.

And exactly how does he AGREE to contract ahead of time? He cannot bind himself legally in any way, nor can the team to him. You do realize that, right?

I don't care what kind of wink and nod agreement you THINK you have with such a player, there is NOTHING from stopping either party from walking. Is the spurned party going to go to the NFL and report that the other didn't live up to their end of an unenforceable contract that was made in contravention to the CBA and NFL rules?

It would be like calling the cops to report that a prostitute, with whom you agreed would blow you once you paid her a sum certain, ran off and now you didn't get your blowjob and you want the system to jump in now and enforce an unenforceable and otherwise illegal contract.

But by all means, please tell me how that works anyway.

This is why I said ever since I knew that another team can't sign him to a long term now either - that a trade makes no sense.