2014 Season to feature 3 games in London

Big C

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The NFL belongs in America. This is stupid.

I agree the NFL belongs in America, but I like the concept of trying to make Football international. Soccer is boring, rugby is a joke, and cricket...well...

Who knows, maybe if it gets popular enough over there they can have not just their own team, but their own division. It would make less traveling back and forth.

As far as next year's games go...WTF why are they giving London a peek at our worst teams? Jags and Raiders? Really? You've gotta give them a game that's actually fun to watch.

The NFL belongs in America. This is stupid.

I recently saw an interview with Jerrah who is on some NFL committee for this kind of thing. And what he said was that only 8 or 9 percent of football fans who watch on TV have ever set foot inside a NFL stadium, so TV revenue is what the NFL is targeting for increase. They have pretty much maxed out viewership in the US, so they need to grow their TV market elsewhere. Their first target is the UK.

I lived in the UK for a year some time ago and there was a little curiosity about tackle football. But I don't know why they expect/hope it to grow in popularity to the point the BBC or some other network would pay the exorbitant fees that US networks pay. But I guess they have to try.

http://www.nfl.com/n...on-game-in-2014

Jacksonville, Atlanta and Oakland will all have one home game in London next year.

How do we feel about this?

Glad we have our "international game" in Toronto is how I feel about this!

The game is tapped out domestically so the NFL will have to do what they always do and follow David Stern's lead and grow internationally. In terms of the business side of things the NBA is light years of ahead of everyone else. The NFL is about 15- 20 years behind the NBA.

well, to be fair, basketball is an easier game to spread as there is less cost associated with playing it in an organized league due to equipment. I'm surprised the NFL is not doing a game in continental Europe to see if the Germans, Italians, French, etc. have any interest. Perhaps a contest and the NFL awards the city with the most attendance/viewership by building an NFL type field for a local American-style "football" team?

well, to be fair, basketball is an easier game to spread as there is less cost associated with playing it in an organized league due to equipment. I'm surprised the NFL is not doing a game in continental Europe to see if the Germans, Italians, French, etc. have any interest. Perhaps a contest and the NFL awards the city with the most attendance/viewership by building an NFL type field for a local American-style "football" team?

I don't disagree; I was more referring to their plan (or lack thereof) in bringing the game to Europe. They had a low level minor league that didn't really work and now they stick a game there every year (or 2 or 3). They are not launching youth leagues, clinics in the offseason, sending stars over, etc... The exposure seems to be limited to these few games played only in London. Just does not seem like the perfect way to grow your brand.

I recently saw an interview with Jerrah who is on some NFL committee for this kind of thing. And what he said was that only 8 or 9 percent of football fans who watch on TV have ever set foot inside a NFL stadium, so TV revenue is what the NFL is targeting for increase. They have pretty much maxed out viewership in the US, so they need to grow their TV market elsewhere. Their first target is the UK.

Exactly, its all about money and more money. At some point, you reach a point of diminishing returns however. No business, no nothing grows and continues to increase forever. Trying to grasp at every last dollar is unsustainable. Yeah, they may gain viewership and fans over there, but they'll lose over here. I know no one that wants to watch that London game. Its lousy TV, with an apathetic crowd and over-sized stadium. They're watering down everything that has made the league what it is.

Between the favoring of big market teams, to the highly subjective rules enforced at random, to the time stoppages every 2 minutes to allow the refs to confer with the rule book, the league is becoming a parody of itself.