Thaddeus Lewis starting against Bengals

This will help EJ also Where Lewis spent his game days

October 07, 2013 12:28 PM | Chris Brown Bills practice squad players usually spend game days in a suite in the stadium. QB Thad Lewis however, spent his in the coaches’ booth. Now the Bills starting QB, here’s how he helped and what he learned while sitting at the elbow of offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett.

Appearing on the John Murphy Show this morning Lewis talked about how he helped coach Hackett in the booth on game days.

"It's benefited me a lot just helping the coaches out with seeing what coverages the teams were presenting to us,” Lewis said. ”Helping coach Hackett out and letting him know what coverages they're showing us on first, second and third down. You'll say, 'Hey coach they're playing this against this coverage. This is what we have that might be good.' I have to pay attention because he would ask me, 'Thad what do you see out there?' It was like I was an extra set of eyes in the booth.

“So just seeing things from a bird's eye view helps you out once you get on the field. Hopefully you can know what the guys are going to present and show you."

Lewis also got a feel for Hackett as a play caller during games, which he thinks could help him on Sunday when he’s hearing the plays being called into his helmet, instead of in the coaches’ booth.

Here's the audio from the JMS in case anyone missed it: http://itmpodcasttrack.com/podcast_track.mp3?iTunes=play&stationId=2858&episodeId=6552195&url=http://podcast.wgr550.com/wgr2/4163777.mp3?rhidownloadlink=true

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

wish the FO would have traded for Alex Smith like I said, Did they really think Kolb would be good enough and why not sign a UDFA with some talent like Tyler Bray. This team is infuriating :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

I bet I could do better than these clowns

Are you delusional? You wanted this team to trade Mario Williams for John Skelton. You wanted to draft Landry Jones in the 1st. You wanted Tyler Bray, who is a giant douche. You have so many countless wrong predictions that the general rule of thumb is to do the exact opposite of what you suggest.

Well, he seems to know how to slide at least.

Nice play to look off the safety on the pass to Easley.

Couple nice tosses on the run.

Whole lotta "meh" in between.

GO BILLS!!!

Yeah, but only had a day or two of practice as well. Very decisive on the read option plays. We shall see. If he is able to play smart and not turn the ball over I will be happy. He is probably not going to set any NFL accuracy records.

Are you delusional? You wanted this team to trade Mario Williams for John Skelton. You wanted to draft Landry Jones in the 1st. You wanted Tyler Bray, who is a giant douche. You have so many countless wrong predictions that the general rule of thumb is to do the exact opposite of what you suggest.

Hey - he did get Andrew Luck right.

Edited by MDFan

I agree, although I think it's fair to call the Bills' QB situation a total train wreck at this point. I don't really blame the front office - they acquired Kolb and EJ. Teams don't usually get down to their 3rd option at QB, so it's hard to say they should have expected it. You could make the argument that they should have brought in a more experienced option as soon as Kolb went down, but I'm not sure there were any viable options out there.

One more point: in my opinion Freeman choosing the Vikes illustrates the hurdles that the front office still must overcome when trying to lure talent/coaches to Buffalo. I know the thinking is that Freeman chose the Vikes because he might have a shot to stick there long term, but I gotta believe if a more well-respected franchise like the Niners, for example, had the same QB crisis as the Bills, Freeman would have gone to the Niners. The only thing that will help is winning.

Agreed on the first part of EJ and Kolb being a good pair, and us falling to #3. Who do the Patriots start if Brady had a knee injury and Mallett was IR with a concussion? Falling to #3 means terrible football or an unexpected surprise, but not solid preparedness and front office strategy.

On the second part, I disagree. The Vikings are certainly the better franchise in the last 10 years, and that matters, and a definite playoff contender and that matters a lot. But what matters most is the competitive landscape of EJ or Ponder. You aren't going to beat out EJ right now on this team. You might play your way into a controversy, but you aren't going to be handed the keys and have a team bail on its guy after a couple fill in wins. In Minnesota Ponder can be replaced in a heartbeat with a solid performance. So a better team with a better chance to become the starter and it isn't a question of a few dollars.

A good qb is hard to find. Oakland traded a 5th rd choice for Matt Fylnn who they just cut ($6.5 million salary). They spent a 4 th rd pick for Tyler Wilson also cut.

Edited by ALF

Don't stop him, he's on a roll.

A Haiku for Thad

I miss the weekly haikus

They were lots of fun

Not just a haiku

A rhyming haiku too boot

Will Thad be a fad?

LoL... Classic! LoL

Yep, BB maybe knows something about football but unfortunately the list you mentioned discredits anything else he says. You forgot to mention his Teebow love too. I think maybe BB has actually helped pick the Bills QB since Kelly retired!

Yep, BB maybe knows something about football but unfortunately the list you mentioned discredits anything else he says. You forgot to mention his Teebow love too. I think maybe BB has actually helped pick the Bills QB since Kelly retired!

:w00t:

The reason I have faith in Manuel is because BB dislikes him. Major positive for EJ.

not sure how I feel about this :cry:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIWu45CRszM

I don't think he looks to bad here RayRay. He had been with the team a little more than a week when he played in this game so it's not like he had a ton of time in the offense. He was playing against scrubs, but he was also playing with scrubs, with the exception of Easley. The Kid has got an arm, I will give him that, plus he sure as hell can run. If Brown is playing, he will need to be able to run.

BigPappy

It means something to me. If a guy sounds like he just came in from Compton, like he has been gang banging for the last 12 years, I have a different opinion about him than about someone who speaks like they were educated at Harvard. Especially for the QB position! I heard the well spoken, how he handles himself well, tag used many times about EJ on the NFL Radio network. So I'm not the only one who puts some stock in it. Just my opinion.

Wow, just freakin' wow.