If EJ is out at least 5-8 Weeks, do we draft a QB in the 1st?

Virgil

I want to clarify a few things first:

1 - I love EJ. I think he has all the tools, a great leader, and can be great.

2 - I think drafting a qb in the first round of the draft two years in a row is insane

If EJ misses 5-8 weeks, he would only show us 11 games this year, possibly only 8. While I like his potential, that's all we've actually seen is potential. Plus, we have a guy who has now suffered 2 knee injuries in 8 weeks. I know they are both considered minor injuries, but still, that's his knee.

With EJ out, I don't think that we are going to win a game without him. Nothing against Tuel and I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see him having what it takes and I don't see a free agent QB out there that's going to make a difference.

With all of that, I can easily seeing us pick in the top 10 of next years draft which is considered to be one of the deepest QB drafts since 84. To me, if there is a can't miss QB, can we afford to pass on him? We will have a qb on our team with no back up, who we aren't positive can be the guy, and has already had two misses with knee problems. Plus, with the new agreement, salary really isn't an issue. To me, if EJ wins that qb battle, then more power to him and we have a back up. If EJ loses the battle, then again, more power to us for having a better QB.

I feel crazy for saying this, but it was amazing how quickly that game was over the minute EJ went out. It's amazing how quickly EJ got hurt again after the preseason. And it's amazing to me how I feel we have no chance to win during the games he is gone. There are too many question marks at the QB position and you can't be a winning franchise with that. Yes, we need another CB, G, TE, and maybe FS. But those can be later round picks and I think we have a GM capable of filling those holes.

Blast away!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If EJ doesn't get injured again, and he doesn't play terribly, then obviously we will not waste a 1st round pick on another QB. The staff is behind the kid and the fans are too. He is a leader. But, maybe after 2 years if things don't look good, we'll have to think about it and not pull a Jacksonville with Gabbert.

I'm still not sold on EJ. I like his composure and leadership, however his play has not made me say at any point, "Wow finally here's our guy!".

The biggest problem for the bills since the last time we had success was the QB position. I think If you have a shot at a quality player you take it. For instance san diego when they had brees / rivers. Until EJ shows me a "WOW" performance, which he has yet to do, I say you keep trying because the nfl is a QB driven league.

I think whats more insane is going 15 years without a franchise QB.

Edited by Sharky7337

Let me say this....I love EJ. I understood he was a project with as much upside as any other QB class, just less polish. Which can be a coin flip.

I will say if you are picking top 5, because of lack of QB play (even injury), and you are staring down the barrel at a top prospect, you pull the trigger.

I'm still not sold on EJ. I like his composure and leadership, however his play has not made me say at any point, "Wow finally here's our guy!".

The biggest problem for the bills since the last time we had success was the QB position. I think If you have a shot at a quality player you take it. For instance san diego when they had brees / rivers. Until EJ shows me a "WOW" performance, which he has yet to do, I say you keep trying because the nfl is a QB driven league.

I think whats more insane is going 15 years without a franchise QB.

he rarely seems to break 200 yards passing..... that said, the difference between EJ and Tuel was night and day. makes it very clear that the scouts and GMs doing the drafting do at least know a little bit about what they are doing.

Let me say this: I like EJ. I do. His attitude is fantastic. But... He hasn't really shown a whole lot so far. The footwork is atrocious. If that doesn't change he'll never be an NFL QB.

This upcoming draft class is jam packed full of great NFL prospects. I would be willing to take another QB in the first if it's someone like Bridgewater, Mariota, Hundley or MAYBE Boyd. Other than that, I wouldn't want anybody.

I mean, what would we draft otherwise? The team is young all over. I would want a linebacker like Barr, Mosely or Mack over just about anything, but other than that we would be looking at a safety or a guard which really isn't what you want to be taking in the first round. This franchise has been without a legitimate quarterback for too long to pass up on a GOOD NFL prospect. EJ never was a "good NFL prospect."

I do think EJ could turn into a very good NFL QB, don't get me wrong. But it's about opportunities.

With all that said, there's ZERO percent chance we draft a QB in the first round.

This will get me drawn and quartered, have my living eyes torn from my head, and die the death of a thousand cuts on this forum but I never wanted a QB in this draft. People who do this for a living said it was a weak QB class and they where right. Take this years 16th get BPA and go after a QB next year.

EJ plays like a rookie, but he doesn't look like one. I love the way he answered the bell after the Jets game. He worked hard after practice to get things right and it looked like it paid off. We're getting a lot of field goals, but with some experience those will become TDs. I'd rather use out pick on a top notch tight end or G.

EJ plays like a rookie, but he doesn't look like one. I love the way he answered the bell after the Jets game. He worked hard after practice to get things right and it looked like it paid off. We're getting a lot of field goals, but with some experience those will become TDs. I'd rather use out pick on a top notch tight end or G.

Coulda done that this year and laid the solid foundation for 2014's rookie QB. Lets face it EJ is not the answer. Two popped out knees in the course of 6 weeks is a bad sign.

Coulda done that this year and laid the solid foundation for 2014's rookie QB. Lets face it EJ is not the answer. Two popped out knees in the course of 6 weeks is a bad sign.

Oh for God's sake.

I want to clarify a few things first:

1 - I love EJ. I think he has all the tools, a great leader, and can be great.

2 - I think drafting a qb in the first round of the draft two years in a row is insane

If EJ misses 5-8 weeks, he would only show us 11 games this year, possibly only 8. While I like his potential, that's all we've actually seen is potential. Plus, we have a guy who has now suffered 2 knee injuries in 8 weeks. I know they are both considered minor injuries, but still, that's his knee.

With EJ out, I don't think that we are going to win a game without him. Nothing against Tuel and I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see him having what it takes and I don't see a free agent QB out there that's going to make a difference.

With all of that, I can easily seeing us pick in the top 10 of next years draft which is considered to be one of the deepest QB drafts since 84. To me, if there is a can't miss QB, can we afford to pass on him? We will have a qb on our team with no back up, who we aren't positive can be the guy, and has already had two misses with knee problems. Plus, with the new agreement, salary really isn't an issue. To me, if EJ wins that qb battle, then more power to him and we have a back up. If EJ loses the battle, then again, more power to us for having a better QB.

I feel crazy for saying this, but it was amazing how quickly that game was over the minute EJ went out. It's amazing how quickly EJ got hurt again after the preseason. And it's amazing to me how I feel we have no chance to win during the games he is gone. There are too many question marks at the QB position and you can't be a winning franchise with that. Yes, we need another CB, G, TE, and maybe FS. But those can be later round picks and I think we have a GM capable of filling those holes.

Blast away!

that would make sense so, no we wont do it.

EJ is handcuffed by Marrone's offense. Would we feel better if he was throwing it 45 times a game? I dunno. What I do know is EJ appears to be injury prone, and those injuries occur on scrambles.

if he threw it 45 times he'd look one of the worst QBs ever.

If EJ doesn't get injured again, and he doesn't play terribly, then obviously we will not waste a 1st round pick on another QB. The staff is behind the kid and the fans are too. He is a leader. But, maybe after 2 years if things don't look good, we'll have to think about it and not pull a Jacksonville with Gabbert.

Pretty much this. Roll with him for now and pick your REAL backup in next years draft in rounds 3-4. I'm firmly abide by the "just keep drafting QBs until you land one" philosophy, but I'm happy with how EJ's progressing.

Pretty hard to base that off of 4 and a half games, with a rookie OC who's been taken advantage of in the red zone. After Carolina we all thought we had the guy, I'm no where near ready to give up on him.

Edited by opfball91

Ugh!

Unlike many on this board who are the faint of heart, a 6 week injury doesnt warrant using another 1 st round selection on a QB.

There was no guarantee that EJ was even going to play much this year with Kolb in the fold. Now if he doesn't play X amount of games we start from scratch?. I hope to God our front office isn't that stupid.

EJ has displayed plenty to show he has what it takes right now to be groomed as our future QB. Whether that growth translates into being a franchise QB 2-3 years down the road, no one knows. But now is not the time to throw in the towel. To soon.

A smarter GM would go after pieces to help build this team into a champion. A little help at the OL would be greatly appreciated. Also another lights out CB. Maybe addressing another area that we may lose to free agency? Shutter the thought.

Entering 2014 I don't see QB as our greatest pressing need, and I would bet my mortgage that the Bills as well as other draft prognosticators would agree. If the Bills DID have to use an early pick next year on a QB, then they shouldn't be in the position to make the pick in the first place. That being said, I have full confidence in and feel great using the 1st round pick on him this past April.

So, along with the "trade EJ and CJ so we can get a top notch waterboy in the 1st round next year", let's not lose our heads guys. Give the guy time to grow before we yank the rug from under him.

For those of you saying you wouldn't do it, are you saying it because:

-his injuries are a fluke and you feel safe with him staying

-you've seen enough to know he's our

-we couldn't get someone better in next year's

-Tuel is good enough to be our backup and win games if

Or is it just because you don't believe in taking a qb two years in a row with first round picks?

I wish I could say yes to the above with 100% certainty with the games we will see him play in, but I just don't know yet