If EJ is out at least 5-8 Weeks, do we draft a QB in the 1st?

Virgil

Why even talk about drafting another Qb

Well. I don't think we should draft another Qb because we've assessed EJ's potential as a rookie thrown into the fire and found wanting. It's just too soon to say.

If there is a prospect at any position who is BPA and at the top of our board when we draft, I think we should take him, regardless of our situation at QB. This is how GB wound up with Aaron Rodgers. They had a great QB, they saw a great prospect on the board when they drafted, they pulled the trigger.

Edited by Hopeful

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If they can get one of the top QBs then go for it. EJ is not a guaranteed success, and look at the situation they're in now. Washington is an example of what can happen to a read option QB. If they end up with two quality QBs, then one is trade bait. Otherwise they'll need to pick a CB.

Too bad Ej isnt a read option QB. Then you might have a point

I want to see this team win a Super Bowl. I don't care how it's done, how it looks, or who does it. If a true stud coming out of college is available next year when the Bills pick, they should strongly consider it until someone proves that they are a franchise QB. I like EJ, but I like the Buffalo Bills more. Until he proves that he truly is the man, the FO should continue their due diligence and seek one out. QB controversies are fodder for news papers and talking points amongst fans. When they legitimately happen, it's usually because both QBs aren't good enough to begin with. The cream will always rise to the top, when it doesn't, you obviously don't have any cream. Looking at the teams that have won Super Bowls in the past decade, they generally have QBs that are far superior to their backups. Just win baby! Go Bills!

For those who think drafting a perceived top-shelf QB shortly after you've already drafted one is an unwise move: http://www.deseretne...NTS.html?pg=all .

Bottom line: it always pays to have good QBs.

History will not looking kindly on a team passing on taking a QB in the 2012 and 2014 NFL drafts that were loaded with QBs and instead going all-in with the horrible QB class of 2013.

But that's exactly what the Bills are going to do.

EJ sucks.

I don't think EJ sucks, but this is my fear. I don't think this organization is brave enough to take a blue chip QB next year if he's available.

Edited by dave mcbride

I feel I should clarify my original post. I'm not saying we should be judging him on his first 5 weeks alone. I'm saying that, even if we see another 6 weeks of him, do we feel comfortable having only him as a viable starter on our team?

We have no depth and our season feels over without him. We have no assurances his knee won't be an ongoing issue and we won't have enough info on him to know if he can be the guy.

With that, do we get competition, solidify a backup (ej or the rookie), and take a qb if there is a can't miss guy there.

And in no way am in saying that ej can't be the guy. I'm a huge fan of his and am sad to see his progress get slowed

I want us to draft another 1st round QB. Even if EJ beats the new guy out...it will still be worth it. We should continue to be aggressive in acquiring possible franchise guys until we know we have one. It isn't turning your back on EJ by getting him some competition.

No on 1st round. We pick up Freeman for depth and give him decent money for a back up. (4 mil.). We go with a lock down CB in the first which is a need. The reasoning is we can still fix the Byrd situation, and Pettine's defense to be really a top 5 needs two excellent CBs.

I'd love in 2nd and 3rd we grab a guard and athletic TE. Pick up a QB in the 4th for development and drop Tuel.

For th e record this is the last time I want to talk about the draft in October.

No on the CB in the first or QB in the first. McKelvin and Gilmore look good. Brooks also has ability for the slot corner.

IF EJ comes back in 3-4 weeks and plays good you need to give him some more weapons on O, like a real pass catching TE.

Also get a guard. Then turn to the D.

personally i think EJ is going to be a keeper, if his body holds up. He has the talent, work ethic and smarts to do it.

The Bills have another draft class like this past one and the Bills are on the way to being a playoff team for years.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

I want to clarify a few things first:

1 - I love EJ. I think he has all the tools, a great leader, and can be great.

2 - I think drafting a qb in the first round of the draft two years in a row is insane

If EJ misses 5-8 weeks, he would only show us 11 games this year, possibly only 8. While I like his potential, that's all we've actually seen is potential. Plus, we have a guy who has now suffered 2 knee injuries in 8 weeks. I know they are both considered minor injuries, but still, that's his knee.

With EJ out, I don't think that we are going to win a game without him. Nothing against Tuel and I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see him having what it takes and I don't see a free agent QB out there that's going to make a difference.

With all of that, I can easily seeing us pick in the top 10 of next years draft which is considered to be one of the deepest QB drafts since 84. To me, if there is a can't miss QB, can we afford to pass on him? We will have a qb on our team with no back up, who we aren't positive can be the guy, and has already had two misses with knee problems. Plus, with the new agreement, salary really isn't an issue. To me, if EJ wins that qb battle, then more power to him and we have a back up. If EJ loses the battle, then again, more power to us for having a better QB.

I feel crazy for saying this, but it was amazing how quickly that game was over the minute EJ went out. It's amazing how quickly EJ got hurt again after the preseason. And it's amazing to me how I feel we have no chance to win during the games he is gone. There are too many question marks at the QB position and you can't be a winning franchise with that. Yes, we need another CB, G, TE, and maybe FS. But those can be later round picks and I think we have a GM capable of filling those holes.

Blast away!

> With all of that, I can easily seeing us pick in the top 10 of next years draft which is considered to be one of the deepest QB drafts since 84.

Assuming your description of next year's QB class is accurate, then I personally would find it very difficult to pass up the opportunity to draft a QB in the first round. Look at the teams in the AFC East:

Buffalo Bills: one franchise QB in team history (Jim Kelly). Four Super Bowl appearances (all with Kelly).

New England Patriots: 1.5 franchise QBs in team history (the first half of Bledsoe's career, and Tom Brady). Six Super Bowl appearances in franchise history, including three wins. Five of those appearances--including all three wins--occurred when they had Bledsoe and/or Brady on the roster.

New York Jets: one franchise QB in team history. One Super Bowl win in team history (when Joe Namath was their QB).

Miami Dolphins: two franchise QBs in team history.

At least for AFC East teams, getting a franchise QB is something which happens about once every 30 - 40 years. When it does happen, it fundamentally changes the equation for the entire franchise. Suppose (hypothetically speaking) that there's a 50% chance of Manuel becoming a franchise QB--which I feel is optimistic--and a 50% chance that a first round pick next year will be a franchise QB. That would mean that there's a 25% chance of that pick next year taking you from non-franchise QB territory to franchise QB territory. I'd gladly spend a first round pick on that 25% chance.

> Yes, we need another CB, G, TE, and maybe FS.

There's a significant chance we can be okay with Gilmore and McKelvin as our starting CBs. We also have pretty good depth at CB; although some of that depth is currently injured. LG is an obvious need, but as you pointed out, we can address that in the second or third round. Same with TE.

That said, there's usually a difference between what the Bills should do and what they will do. This situation is no different. There's little chance of them drafting a first round QB next year, regardless of what they should do.

IMO Manuel's status has nothing to do with it. If you see a good QB you better draft him, can't have too many.

Exactly...And especially when you're Rookie QB suffers two knee injuries before Week #6...

That being said I seriously doubt the Bills Draft a QB in Round #1 2014...They just don't seem to be that kind of organization... B-)

History will not looking kindly on a team passing on taking a QB in the 2012 and 2014 NFL drafts that were loaded with QBs and instead going all-in with the horrible QB class of 2013.

But that's exactly what the Bills are going to do.

EJ sucks.

Your an idiot

Edited by n3wyork13

I'm still not sold on EJ. I like his composure and leadership, however his play has not made me say at any point, "Wow finally here's our guy!".

The biggest problem for the bills since the last time we had success was the QB position. I think If you have a shot at a quality player you take it. For instance san diego when they had brees / rivers. Until EJ shows me a "WOW" performance, which he has yet to do, I say you keep trying because the nfl is a QB driven league.

I think whats more insane is going 15 years without a franchise QB.

Nice post . I agree 100 %.

This year may be deeper with QB prospects than last years draft, and although some may be of the opinion of not taking a QB two years in a row, I see it as

making up for the failure to take ANY QB for the years previous to E.J., and now that pain has to be endured now. IMO

The Bills have maybe 1 real NFL QB, maybe not time will tell.

As above: it's a QB league, Bills don't have one for next week and maybe longer, keeping drafting.

Well. I don't think we should draft another Qb because we've assessed EJ's potential as a rookie thrown into the fire and found wanting. It's just too soon to say.

If there is a prospect at any position who is BPA and at the top of our board when we draft, I think we should take him, regardless of our situation at QB. This is how GB wound up with Aaron Rodgers. They had a great QB, they saw a great prospect on the board when they drafted, they pulled the trigger.

To be fair it wasn't just a random bpa - they were trying to replace a 36(?) year old qb and saw a chance. If favre was 4 years younger they don't dream of taking a qb in the first, even if bpa

Doing with EJ would be pretty widely different.

Edited by NoSaint