A Few Thoughts About The Game, in no particular order.....

Bill from NYC

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14/15 I agree with Fouts EJ needs pocket awareness the Suggs strip was EJ's fault

There is a difference between being his fault and being careless with the ball. Yes, perhaps he should have sensed the rush. But those kinds of plays happen all the time, and there really wasnt a lot EJ could have done differently on that play. He assumed that Glenn was pushing his guy wide. The guy reached in and knocked it out. He fumbled, so he has to take responsibility for it because it happened. But I wouldnt coach him to be different because of that play I don't think.

There is a difference between being his fault and being careless with the ball. Yes, perhaps he should have sensed the rush. But those kinds of plays happen all the time, and there really wasnt a lot EJ could have done differently on that play. He assumed that Glenn was pushing his guy wide. The guy reached in and knocked it out. He fumbled, so he has to take responsibility for it because it happened. But I wouldnt coach him to be different because of that play I don't think.

Manuel has a habit of carrying the ball in one hand with his arm out wide. He needs to hold onto the ball better while scrambling/running. I'd also like to see his internal clock work a little better. At some point he's just got to throw the ball away and move on to the next play.

14/15 I agree with Fouts EJ needs pocket awareness the Suggs strip was EJ's fault

Yup. He should have thrown that ball away instead of putting it down like a loaf of bread. Also, he grossly under threw on 2 passes, and the one sure-TD was picked off cause he was still drifting out of the pocket. Rookie mistakes that will (hopefully) be corrected. With that said, I posted "win" in Boyst's thread about what we wanted the bills to do today. There were mistakes, and it wasn't perfect, but I'd much rather be 2-2 after defeating the champs than 1-3 right now.

That was such a great designed play, call, executed fake, etc. EJ did it perfect. That's a TD. But Lee Smith tackles himself. Stats are so misleading sometimes. EJ had several bad throws. But he still should have had 2-3 TDs.

That play made me think: can you imagine how great it will be for EJ if we ever get a stud tight end? He seems to thrive over the middle - a tight end would do wonders for this offense. I wonder if we could trade for one...

Not going to nitpick a great win against a solid team.

I would just say the offense finally put together three quarters of exciting football (3rd quarter was the same old repetitive crap). Overall, the playcalling on O was a bit repetitive, but the 3rd quarter was unwatchable.

The defense, overall, both at run stopping, pressuring and, amazingly, at the secondary, were above average and a joy to watch. When Pettine gets Byrd "I only play when I'm 100 percent", McK and Gilmore back, this D could actually be dominant.

When Hackett (hopefully) opens up the book, and when Manuel becomes able to hit the deep ball (he will), this offense could actually be a little above average.

A. Williams was a beast today. It's like they put something in his Wheaties. Alonso keeps on getting better. Kudos to Leonard and Searcy and the entire D line too.

Finally, I'd like someone to answer why we aren't using Easley at WR. From what I've seen, he's better than TJ, despite the couple of badass plays he made today.

Manuel has a habit of carrying the ball in one hand with his arm out wide. He needs to hold onto the ball better while scrambling/running. I'd also like to see his internal clock work a little better. At some point he's just got to throw the ball away and move on to the next play.

While I agree with that, all of that, it's very hard for a running/scrambling QB to not do that. Guys who are statues have it a little easier because they hold the ball around their chest all the time, and just get sacked when the rush comes. Guys who break out of the pocket or avoid the rush a lot, almost all hold it like that. I'm not defending it too much. He has to protect the ball better, and you're right, too many times he has it down and not secure. But he's not overly careless like some guys are (not counting the ridiculous just drop the ball fumble).

Yup. He should have thrown that ball away instead of putting it down like a loaf of bread.

It's a pet peeve of mine, but no one ever holds a loaf of bread like a football player holds a football when "he's holding it like a loaf of bread."

That's my gripe with that play... tackles will get beat and sacks be had. But, EJ has twice had the ball stripped like that because he's carelss holding the ball back there. He's got to improve on that. And I'm sure he will.

That's my gripe with that play... tackles will get beat and sacks be had. But, EJ has twice had the ball stripped like that because he's carelss holding the ball back there. He's got to improve on that. And I'm sure he will.

He should try switching hands behind his back.

i like how garrison sanborn gets tackles on punts. Glad stevie crawled on all fours for that fumble, otherwise we wwould have lost that game. Dumb decision to not accept the penalty to leave it at 3rd and 7. Take the yards, we are lucky that Kiko intercepted the ball. Proud of our secondary getting all those picks with WRs playing corner. I want Byrd gone. John Harbaugh is a crying little B word when he loses. I didnt know you could demand a 5 minute caucus with referees because John doesnt like how games turning out. That was a cheap shot on Manuel.

It's a pet peeve of mine, but no one ever holds a loaf of bread like a football player holds a football when "he's holding it like a loaf of bread."

My wife thinks I'm weird because I carry a loaf of bread with 3 points of contact in the store.

She's probably right ........

Aaron Williams has turned into a baller. I can't wait till he can return to safety and McLuvin and Gilmore are in the back. Who is Byrd? I bet they franchise him again and trade him. Maybe you don't get a first rounder for him but at this point a second looks pretty good relative to his contribution.

Great weekly post-game post as usual.

Think about this John: Searcy appears to be playing better for Leonhard at FS plays different than Tyrd. Leonhard plays over the top trying to cover anyone who gets loose and covers released TEs when all other players covered. Byrd played it as a ball hawk and tried to read QBs eyes. Searcy is a better match for Leonhard's playing style.