Undercover cops in opposing team gear - great idea

JÂy RÛßeÒ

Absolutely, we need more cops doing silly, reasonably expensive things and entrapping people. there is noweher near enough security at gmaes - the no purse rule is not enough to save us. Not at all.

If they're just sitting there they're not entrapping anybody. Now if they initiate altercations and then arrest people for reacting that's another thing. And how is sitting in a stadium any more expensive than sitting in a park at night waiting for muggers & rapists, or sitting on a highway on-ramp citing people for letting their safety inspections expire? I'd hope that even putting the possibility out there that people in the other team's jersey might be cops would help curb the issue which really is one of the biggest in-stadium problems.

If they're just sitting there they're not entrapping anybody. Now if they initiate altercations and then arrest people for reacting that's another thing. And how is sitting in a stadium any more expensive than sitting in a park at night waiting for muggers & rapists, or sitting on a highway on-ramp citing people for letting their safety inspections expire? I'd hope that even putting the possibility out there that people in the other team's jersey might be cops would help curb the issue which really is one of the biggest in-stadium problems.

They will buy their own $300 jerseys? They will work free on gameday? Otherwise, it is expensive no matter how you look at it.

They will buy their own $300 jerseys? They will work free on gameday? Otherwise, it is expensive no matter how you look at it.

Well let's see. Considering the NFL is actively trying to provide a safer in-stadium environment I'd bet the jerseys are provided. Not that a T-shirt & cap doesn't have the same effect. And the cops are doing their jobs protecting the public so I would not expect them to volunteer their time.

Edited by JÂy RÛßeÒ

i bet they could wear items that arent authentic nfl jerseys, and i suspect even so the teams/nfl would be fairly willing to supply some items.

if you just want to be angry, go ahead i guess, but of all the wastes i think this is one where the city actually sees some return by providing a positive gameday experience for visiting fans.... not to mention no one deserves some of the verbal (and physical) abuse doled out at stadiums.

You don't understand what entrapment is.

and thats likely the least of the issues coming through with that post.

Edited by NoSaint

You don't understand what entrapment is.

if you think these cops won't ever try to stimulate a situation, stoke the fire, you are very naive.

Might not be entrapment every time, but it certainly will be at least sometimes.

Keep your security, and get more, I won't be in the country much less the games, in any event.

At the Bills home opener, the couple sitting next to me was undercover security. They had headsets and could hear/talk to uniformed peeps. They didn't have on gear of the Bills or the pats* but they were there to keep an eye on people.

if you think these cops won't ever try to stimulate a situation, stoke the fire, you are very naive.

Might not be entrapment every time, but it certainly will be at least sometimes.

Keep your security, and get more, I won't be in the country much less the games, in any event.

Then train the police you put in that situation rather than deciding not to put them in an area where they will certainly do some good.

Absolutely, we need more cops doing silly, reasonably expensive things and entrapping people. there is noweher near enough security at gmaes - the no purse rule is not enough to save us. Not at all.

Entrapping people??? Oh yes, those poor drunken a--holes who where only having some harmless fun throwing beer and cursing at people because of the shirt they are wearing.

Stay classy Bills fans! :thumbsup:

Then train the police you put in that situation rather than deciding not to put them in an area where they will certainly do some good.

I remember the one guy got beat up by some Raiders fans a couple of years back.

That is about it for real violence.

If you wear another teams jersey to the game, you can expect a bit of verbal banter. Which incidentally is not illegal.

This is not an endemic problem that we need to regulate and police, so much.

Less regulation = greater freedom. Good thing for most.

Sounds like a good idea to me......they should really work on getting the word out.....just the possibility of them being there should act as a deterrent.

i was going to initially post an "another story about this? its years old, and has been covered multiple times a year for years - not breaking news" and then the lightbulb came on. still need a cup of coffee this morning.

to your point, really, they could be in 0 stadiums this weekend and not entrapping home team fans by attacking them while wearing $300 jerseys on my dime -- and its still effective with a simple article from a partner organization like cbs or espn.

i was going to initially post an "another story about this? its years old, and has been covered multiple times a year for years - not breaking news" and then the lightbulb came on. still need a cup of coffee this morning.

to your point, really, they could be in 0 stadiums this weekend and not entrapping home team fans by attacking them while wearing $300 jerseys on my dime -- and its still effective with a simple article from a partner organization like cbs or espn.

Exactly.....the NFL network promoted the **** out of the new league bag/bringing stuff into the stadium policy......they could do the same and make a huge difference.

Bingo. The more exposure this gets, hopefully the more restraint people show when harassing opposing fans just for the sake of it. Of course, some people don't really think much when they're drunk, but there's plenty of people at the margins who could be affected by this kind of news.

http://www.nflshop.com/Jerseys

http://www.indeed.co...uffalo,-NY.html

Inedeed I am quite the short-bus mouthbreather.

Guys, it's okay. Drunken mobs of 60,000+ people just need more freedom. No sense in policing them at all.

http://www.nflshop.com/Jerseys

http://www.indeed.com/salary/q-Police-Officer-l-Buffalo,-NY.html

Inedeed I am quite the short-bus mouthbreather.

You do realize that they don't have to wear $300 authentic jerseys and can easily wear a $10 t-shirt and $20 hat right?

I'm still not sure what point you're trying to make about paying police to do their job?

Once upon a time this is used to go on at Dodger Stadium, where undercover LAPD cops would wear billowy Hawaiian style shirts (to conceal their guns), which was how everybody knew who the cops were. What was most interesting to me was that they only did this for one visiting team whose fans always started fights and caused trouble. The team? The Cubs!

You do realize that they don't have to wear $300 authentic jerseys and can easily wear a $10 t-shirt and $20 hat ri

I'm still not sure what point you're trying to make about paying police to do their job?

Do you realize how ridiculous you sound?

Where are these cops going to come from? The balance of Buffalo still needs cops on a Sunday, and the regular stadium duties they have will still need to be attended to. So they would have to pay EXTRA cops, to work this silly detail of wearing other teams jerseys, in the odd and I would guess, generally fruitless hopes that someone will attack them.

Where are these cops going to come from? The balance of Buffalo still needs cops on a Sunday, and the regular stadium duties they have will still need to be attended to. So they would have to pay EXTRA cops, to work this silly detail of wearing other teams jerseys, in the odd and I would guess, generally fruitless hopes that someone will attack them.

So, you're against having police enforce laws? I'm sure the NFL would gladly pay for the extra police detail if it means avoiding multi million lawsuits.

So, you're against having police enforce laws? I'm sure the NFL would gladly pay for the extra police detail if it means avoiding multi million lawsuits.

No, I am for Police upholding the law. that is the point., The police are where they need to be, to uphold the law. wearing other teams jerseys in hopes of finding a cirminal, does not seem to m to be an efffective or wise use of the limited rescouces the polica have. at least, not to me.

I would be very happy for the NFL to pony up police OT money and have them wear other teams jerseys. Have not seen the NFL offer that though. And again, one guy got hurt, by raiders fans, years ago. Some beer being spilled on someone or someone yelling at them, well, get over it. or - don't wear provacative clothing.

In my experiences at the ralph it is usually the opposing teams fans that cause the most problems.(jets) if the bills fans cheer and high five they complain to security. If their team scores they are pushing their way up the row and talking ****. At the home opener we had pats fans in the row infront and behind when the pats did something good they would try to high five and shake eachothers hands but try to hit us in the process and act like it was an accident. I have been to 20 or so games and 90% of the problems are caused by opposing fans

In my experiences at the ralph it is usually the opposing teams fans that cause the most problems.(jets) if the bills fans cheer and high five they complain to security. If their team scores they are pushing their way up the row and talking ****. At the home opener we had pats fans in the row infront and behind when the pats did something good they would try to high five and shake eachothers hands but try to hit us in the process and act like it was an accident. I have been to 20 or so games and 90% of the problems are caused by opposing fans

and yet, even at its worst as you describe, I cannot find reason to have a special cop detail for that. THey are going to arrest people for high-fiving? or for 'accidentally' hitting someone (pretty casually) in a crowded stadium, in a crowded world?

I'm still confused as to why this is such a huge problem for you? Unless you're one of the drunken idiots that likes to stir up problems?

I'm still confused as to why this is such a huge problem for you? Unless you're one of the drunken idiots that likes to stir up problems?

Because Buffalo is a broke-ass city. In a broke-ass country.

Enough money being wasted on BS.

I have not been to a game in about ten years now, I am an expat. So in the end it really does not matter to me.

If you think a fire needs to be stoked you are very naive. If you think that those cops aren't already at the game (getting paid to do their job) then you are very naïve.

If you think a fire needs to be stoked you are very naive. If you think that those cops aren't already at the game (getting paid to do their job) then you are very naïve.

if you think his apparent rage against the cops has anything to do with this issue, you may likewise be very naive :)

No, I am for Police upholding the law. that is the point., The police are where they need to be, to uphold the law. wearing other teams jerseys in hopes of finding a cirminal, does not seem to m to be an efffective or wise use of the limited rescouces the polica have. at least, not to me.

I would be very happy for the NFL to pony up police OT money and have them wear other teams jerseys. Have not seen the NFL offer that though. And again, one guy got hurt, by raiders fans, years ago. Some beer being spilled on someone or someone yelling at them, well, get over it. or - don't wear provacative clothing.

So, provacative clothing causes this? So because someone shows up wearing the other teams jersey that automatically entitles them to have beer thrown on them and being harassed by idiots? The NFL and the Bills are about the gameday experience. That fan regardless of who he cheers for pays money to be in there, and if he's being considerate and following the rules shouldn't have to be harassed because he's wearing the "wrong colors". Personally, I'd love to have the undercover cops there as many of these drunken idiots aren't stupid enough to do this crap when there is a uniformed officer with eyes on them.

Well let's see. Considering the NFL is actively trying to provide a safer in-stadium environment I'd bet the jerseys are provided. Not that a T-shirt & cap doesn't have the same effect. And the cops are doing their jobs protecting the public so I would not expect them to volunteer their time.

Hell. Give me a badge and sign me up. Ill go to all 8 home games and keep a look out for a holes. Even having to wear a Phins shirt would be well worth seeing my team for free

Because Buffalo is a broke-ass city. In a broke-ass country.

Enough money being wasted on BS.

I have not been to a game in about ten years now, I am an expat. So in the end it really does not matter to me.

Buffalo Police have no authority in Orchard Park. It is outside of their jurisdiction. Thus none of the city's money will be spent at the games to deal with the drunken miscreants.