Pro Football Focus Breakdown of Panthers @ Bills

26CornerBlitz

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/09/16/refo-car-buf-week-2/

E.J. Manuel

Like his counterpart in Carolina, quarterback E.J. Manuel (-3.2) had positives from Sunday’s win, particularly throwing the game-winning touchdown on the Bills’ final offensive play, but he also had more than a few plays that he’ll want back. The most notable was his interception on 2nd-and-9 with 12:19 left in the fourth quarter, throwing the ball straight to linebacker Luke Kuechly.

Bad, Bad Colin Brown

If you thought things couldn’t get much worse for left guard Colin Brown, who posted a PFF grade of -7.8 in Week 1, you’d be wrong. Dropping even further (-8.3), Brown struggled mightily throughout the encounter. As a pass blocker, he allowed four hurries from 45 pass blocks, giving him a Pass Blocking Efficiency Rating of 93.2.

Marvelous Mario

Though his overall grade indicates a performance that was far from perfect all-around, Mario Williams (+2.6) put on a show, particularly early in the contest, taking it to Panthers’ right tackle Byron Bell. In the first quarter alone he had three quarterback hurries and two sacks, with all but one of those coming against Bell. Beating Bell three times early with a bull rush, he was driving him back toward Cam Newton with ease. With 11 total pressures from 41 pass rushing snaps, he finished the game with a Pass Rushing Productivity Rating of 23.2. But for his sub-par play against the run, where he was sealed inside a couple of times and was guilty of losing outside contain on a rare (this season at least) Newton option run, Williams would have had one of his best performances in some time. That shouldn’t take away from what was, at times, nothing short of domination between him and the right tackle.

But as bad as Brown was, EJ has only gotten sacked once in two games and that was a blown block by Summers off a safety blitz. There has been room to run. EJ wasn't really under duress for much of the game...

Left guard really ISN'T that important apparently...

Edited by matter2003

Yeah, this Colin Brown saga is really something. The guy is obviously a stiff, yet EJ isn't getting sacked and the Bills are running the ball at a decent clip.

Crazy.

4th in the league after two games with a very respectable 4.3 ypc.

Same can't be said for the Titans who sit 9th with a poor 3.1 ypc. They just aren't the same running team since they signed Levitre.

I kid, I kid.

GO BILLS!!!

But as bad as Brown was, EJ has only gotten sacked once in two games and that was a blown block by Summers off a safety blitz. There has been room to run. EJ wasn't really under duress for much of the game...

Left guard really ISN'T that important apparently...

+1

Yeah, this Colin Brown saga is really something. The guy is obviously a stiff, yet EJ isn't getting sacked and the Bills are running the ball at a decent clip.

Crazy.

Go back and watch any 5 random plays and you'll see Brown get abused on 4 of those plays. I have nothing against the guy, but its obvious he is a PS player playing because we have no one better.

At this point, it seems like we are doing a good job avoiding his mistakes. But it's certainly a position we should be looking to upgrade during and after the season.

Crazy.

the guy had a selective positron ratio that was -7.8 and it dropped to -8.3. that's like a -.5 swing. or, a positive .5, i can't recall how that math works. surely, though, he's trending in the wrong direction.

While I doubt it will be someone in rd 1 it would be easy to see that LG will be high on the draft chart going into the next draft.

They'd better not take a LG on days 1 or 2. CB, OLB, TE are all higher priorities.

https://www.profootb...car-buf-week-2/

E.J. Manuel

Like his counterpart in Carolina, quarterback E.J. Manuel (-3.2) had positives from Sunday’s win, particularly throwing the game-winning touchdown on the Bills’ final offensive play, but he also had more than a few plays that he’ll want back. The most notable was his interception on 2nd-and-9 with 12:19 left in the fourth quarter, throwing the ball straight to linebacker Luke Kuechly.

Bad, Bad Colin Brown

If you thought things couldn’t get much worse for left guard Colin Brown, who posted a PFF grade of -7.8 in Week 1, you’d be wrong. Dropping even further (-8.3), Brown struggled mightily throughout the encounter. As a pass blocker, he allowed four hurries from 45 pass blocks, giving him a Pass Blocking Efficiency Rating of 93.2.

Marvelous Mario

Though his overall grade indicates a performance that was far from perfect all-around, Mario Williams (+2.6) put on a show, particularly early in the contest, taking it to Panthers’ right tackle Byron Bell. In the first quarter alone he had three quarterback hurries and two sacks, with all but one of those coming against Bell. Beating Bell three times early with a bull rush, he was driving him back toward Cam Newton with ease. With 11 total pressures from 41 pass rushing snaps, he finished the game with a Pass Rushing Productivity Rating of 23.2. But for his sub-par play against the run, where he was sealed inside a couple of times and was guilty of losing outside contain on a rare (this season at least) Newton option run, Williams would have had one of his best performances in some time. That shouldn’t take away from what was, at times, nothing short of domination between him and the right tackle.

In the end, how much do these evaluations really mean? Brown was rated terribly, but the team still rushed for 4.5 ypc and allowed only 1 sack. Manuel was rated below average but he threw for almost 300 yards, had a QB rating of nearly 90 and led the game winning drive. Whatever they're evaluating does not seem to translate into whether or not these these guys are contributing to the team's success.

4th in the league after two games with a very respectable 4.3 ypc.

Same can't be said for the Titans who sit 9th with a poor 3.1 ypc. They just aren't the same running team since they signed Levitre.

I kid, I kid.

GO BILLS!!!

Levitre was a -3.1 against the Texans. FTR.

They'd better not take a LG on days 1 or 2. CB, OLB, TE are all higher priorities.

I'd push CB way down with McKelvin looking good, and Brooks and Robey looking solid. FS maybe, since Byrd will likely be gone, but that's not a 1st round pick.

And Legursky could be back soon. May not mean anything, but at least more competition.

Levitre was a -3.1 against the Texans. FTR.

Well, there's a reason PFF had him ranked 39th as a run blocking G last year, so this comes as no surprise to me.

I put no stock in PFF's analysis. It's a great attraction for fans because they are guys that watch the game like we do, except over and over and over and over and over... Their analysis simply lacks the context to be meaningful at a high level. Which is why agents don't go into negotiations citing PFF's analysis as a way to justify giving their clients a raise.

GO BILLS!!!

PFF's numbers are fun but they also need to be seen for what they are, and see how they determine their grades. For example, at CB, if they count targets against, and passes defended, and passes given up, then Leodis would probably have a decent grade. The fact it was against Steve Smith however, makes a huge difference. And if PFF also counts plays where Leodis was guarding Smith, and got beat badly, but the pass was not thrown to him, or well overthrown, or Mario had a sack so Newton couldn't throw it to him, then his marks from PFF would probably be lousy, because that happened several times. To me, however, if the ball is not thrown against you and you don't give up a reception, you cannot be held at fault and it's not a bad play.

In the end, how much do these evaluations really mean? Brown was rated terribly, but the team still rushed for 4.5 ypc and allowed only 1 sack. Manuel was rated below average but he threw for almost 300 yards, had a QB rating of nearly 90 and led the game winning drive. Whatever they're evaluating does not seem to translate into whether or not these these guys are contributing to the team's success.

These people have nothing better to do than to make up there "own" rating system and trash players. Well on my scale they rate FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF!!!

Edited by bisonbrigade