Another Stevie Johnson thread

mrags

Ok, I've been a huge supporter of Stevie and I know in times like last week I don't have much to support my opinion of him. The reason why I'm writing this thread isn't to say "I told you so" to some that know exactly who I'm talking to.

I've backed the opinion that Stevie is definitely not a Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, AJ Green type of number 1 WR in this league. The fact is, he's more closely related to a Larry Fitzgerald or a Desean Jackson than those big physical WRs. He runs crisp, clean routes and always finds ways to get open.

Now, that's not taking away from the fact that he has his fare share of drops. I agree with that. I point that out myself. It's a fact. But that shouldn't take away from the other things he does well. The fact is, in the NFL, every WR that is consistently targeted is going to have a good amount of drips as well. Not every WR catches every ball thrown to him. Does/has Stevie Johnson dropped balls at some seriously inopportune times? Absolutely. Just like how good QBs throw interceptions on the final 2 minute drive to win the game. It's going to happen.

After re-watching the game this morning I started making notes about the bigger plays Stevie made from the 2nd quarter on (DVR issue not recording the first 1+ quarters)

Stevie made what I counted 3 or more 1st down catches on a 3rd down. All key moments to keeping the drives alive.

His big run after the catch play to take the Bills down inside the 20 with the clock dwindling was a thing of beauty.

And in the final drive of the game, Stevie showed his worth. Picking up 3 receptions for a total of 20 yards. 1 of them for a big first down and the other of course for the go ahead TD.

I'm not writing this as an I told you so to anyone. It's more of a joyous thread to show what Stevie offers to this team. He loves the city, loves the fans, and makes his share of big plays.

It's your choice to be happy we have a player like Stevie or hate him because of a few dropped balls or TD celebrations. Either way, as Bills fans you can't be upset with his game when he plays like he did yesterday.

Go Bills!!!

Told us nothing... He did his job, no more.. He caught the passes that were thrown to him, dont we expect our # 1 WR to do that? He lost 2 games for us on plays we need our #1 to make, heck our #6 should make thoes playes. He was having a monster game against the Jets and his BS got him benched as it should have. If he wasnt benched the game would have been much different.

Then the off season training thing.

COME ON MAN!!

Edited by artmalibu

Told us nothing... He did his job, no more.. He caught the passes that were thrown to him, dont we expect our # 1 WR to do that? He lost 2 games for us on plays we need our #1 to make, heck our #6 should make thoes playes. He was having a monster game against the Jets and his BS got him benched as it should have. If he wasnt benched the game would have been much different.

Then the off season training thing.

COME ON MAN!!

really???

And he's never win is games? Yesterday? Bengals? How about any other game that he catches close to 100 yards and has a TD or more? A few drops or boneheaded plays don't make you a bad player.

Good players blow games. It happens.

My point was to give Stevie a little praise here and to point out what you said. Number 1 WRs are supposed to make those plays. Well, Stevie did.

honest observation, or maybe questioning to see if i was crazy on it, and not trying to bash but its seems he always cuts it to the sideline or gets down before contact -- even on his long reception that took him down around the 10 instead of trying to get inside and force the defender to make a play he went out easy.... and then on the last drive he almost got caught thinking about cutting inside! i was, needless to say, happy he got back to the sideline before getting tackled.

honest observation, or maybe questioning to see if i was crazy on it, and not trying to bash but its seems he always cuts it to the sideline or gets down before contact -- even on his long reception that took him down around the 10 instead of trying to get inside and force the defender to make a play he went out easy.... and then on the last drive he almost got caught thinking about cutting inside! i was, needless to say, happy he got back to the sideline before getting tackled.

For a guy with a history of groin injuries, it's the right strategy for him.

For a guy with a history of groin injuries, it's the right strategy for him.

i understand, i was just surprised when he took a step inside at the end risking getting tackled in bounds given his propensity to not do that, pretty much ever.

also was shaking his hand after it - was he hurt or? i didnt catch any update in the post game bliss.

Edited by NoSaint

I like him a lot, too. But to say he runs crisp, clean routes? That's the opposite of what he does. He manages to get open a lot because of his fakes and quickness and herky-jerky change of direction. He rarely runs crisp clean routes. Oh, and he still drops too many easy balls. But that doesn't mean he isn't very, very good. He came up big yesterday.

I like him a lot, too. But to say he runs crisp, clean routes? That's the opposite of what he does. He manages to get open a lot because of his fakes and quickness and herky-jerky change of direction. He rarely runs crisp clean routes. Oh, and he still drops too many easy balls. But that doesn't mean he isn't very, very good. He came up big yesterday.

agreed. nor is he fast like desean.

i like him a lot. he has shortcomings but generally makes up for a lot of them.

True he's not Calvin or aj green. Maybe we need a receiver like that to put on next years wish list along with tight end. He's a good slot receiver and his loyalty to the organization helps. His stupid comments are what brings heat on himself. Whoever sold him the suit he after the game has a wonderful sence of humor.

He does have a tendency to run out of bounds or avoid the big hit. I consider it playing smart. Why take an unnecessary hit when the additional yardage is usually inconsequential? Spiller did the same thing a couple of times yesterday. Again, I give him credit for being smart and judicious about taking unnecessary hits.

I don't consider Stevie J. an elite receiver. But what he does as well as any receiver is get open. He has an uncanny ability to get open even when it is apparent to the defense that he is the primary receiver. SJ is a high strung player who is going to display his emotions on the field. He's been in the league long enough to recognize that what you see is what you get. He is a high volumne receiver who will occasionally drop a pass at a crucial time. Overall, he is a big asset.

His style of running routes wouldn't make Tom Brady too happy. Brady and his passing offense are predicated on precise routes. That is not what SJ consistently does well, But if he is playing in a system where a lot of the passing plays are extended plays then his imprecise route running style becomes a major asset, especially for a qb who can move around and extend the plays.

He does have a tendency to run out of bounds or avoid the big hit. I consider it playing smart. Why take an unnecessary hit when the additional yardage is usually inconsequential? Spiller did the same thing a couple of times yesterday. Again, I give him credit for being smart and judicious about taking unnecessary hits.

yea, wasnt faulting that, was noting that he nearly did the opposite which wouldve left the clock running in the 2 min drill which struck me as way out of place for him.

but sometimes, it would be nice to see him make the defender make the play. not all hits are bonecrushing and when the endzone is in sight id rather he take a shot at whatever yards he can get. i guess yesterday his situational decisions were odd to me on those two plays.

yea, wasnt faulting that, was noting that he nearly did the opposite which wouldve left the clock running in the 2 min drill which struck me as way out of place for him.

but sometimes, it would be nice to see him make the defender make the play. not all hits are bonecrushing and when the endzone is in sight id rather he take a shot at whatever yards he can get. i guess yesterday his situational decisions were odd to me on those two plays.

Jerry Rice used to fall down too. Made his career much longer. I have no problem with that

I didn't take your comments as criticizing him. It was a keen observation. Stevie J has a lean built. The accumulation of unnecessary hits is going to take a toll on him more than it would of a receiver with a thicker build. I would definitely prefer seeing Stevie J and Spiller error on the side of avoiding a hit than taking a hit.

Kelly, your right about the routes. Maybe what I meant in the short answer is that he's always open. Your right that he's all over the place. But at the end of the day he's still very fluid in his motions and almost always open.

Is he one of those "he's open even when he's not open" type of receivers? No. He doesn't physically dominate his opposition. But he does always manage to work himself into making a play to make himself open.

As far as the going out of bounds points. Someone also said that about Jerry. Marvin Harrison did the same. The big play that he took down to the 10 he was simply running away from the defenders and was "herded" into the corner. It's not in Stevie that he went out of bounds. It was just a good play on the defense to force him there. As far as other plays, I won't comment but on that play, that's what happened.

I didn't take your comments as criticizing him. It was a keen observation. Stevie J has a lean built. The accumulation of unnecessary hits is going to take a toll on him more than it would of a receiver with a thicker build. I would definitely prefer seeing Stevie J and Spiller error on the side of avoiding a hit than taking a hit.

agreed. hes already often beat up, id generally rather him take care of his body all things equal. inside the 10, or near the marker id like to see him a little more ready to mix it up but if your discussing that you are atleast talking about a receiver thats productive and getting catches and yardage in the first place.

really???

And he's never win is games? Yesterday? Bengals? How about any other game that he catches close to 100 yards and has a TD or more? A few drops or boneheaded plays don't make you a bad player.

Good players blow games. It happens.

My point was to give Stevie a little praise here and to point out what you said. Number 1 WRs are supposed to make those plays. Well, Stevie did.

Yes, really

To say its not an "I told you so thread" when in fact thats what you did is well confusing.

To say he won the game by caching a ball being totally wide open and it was lobed to him is crazy, I bet any of the posters here could make that catch. I can see the talent that SJ has, and thought he would be a good one from the year he was drafted. Again a guy that publicly says he doesn't do the off-season training and wonders how good he would be if he did, bothers me. Football is a team sport and he proves to be selfish, its a shame considering he is not a young player in his 6th year. I guess at the end of the day I dont believe that the postman should get paid extra to deliver the mail.

Players that have been kicked around and deserve some love from yesterday imo would be Mario and McKelvin. not Stevie

Anyone who hates Stevie and still has to harp on his game is a certified idiot and NOT A BILLS FAN.

So tired of seeing people's insecurity about how much more successful people like Mario, Stevie and anyone else making a good paycheck playing ball using it as a sad excuse to criticize my team.

Edited by Heels20X6

He's an excellent player. People who don't realize that really don't know much about football and its pointless trying to convince them otherwise.

He's a quality WR, more promising to me is that he seems to be working to improve his focus a bit. I hope the positive trend continues.

Making that catch and having his whole team pile onto him has to be a special moment.

Yes, really

To say its not an "I told you so thread" when in fact thats what you did is well confusing.

To say he won the game by caching a ball being totally wide open and it was lobed to him is crazy, I bet any of the posters here could make that catch. I can see the talent that SJ has, and thought he would be a good one from the year he was drafted. Again a guy that publicly says he doesn't do the off-season training and wonders how good he would be if he did, bothers me. Football is a team sport and he proves to be selfish, its a shame considering he is not a young player in his 6th year. I guess at the end of the day I dont believe that the postman should get paid extra to deliver the mail.

Players that have been kicked around and deserve some love from yesterday imo would be Mario and McKelvin. not Stevie

based in your logic, there isn't a single player in football (ever) that deserves any praise because they are all doing their jobs and that's exactly what they get paid for. That's fine. I just don't want to see you praising anyone ever again on this board. Ill be sure to remind you that all players get paid and this is their professions.

Simple. This argument is over with you sir.