EJ's first two games in comparison to other recent rookie QB's

Big Turk

Thought I would do a quick breakdown of Manuel's first 2 games and see how they compared to other recent young QB's:

Griffin: 39 for 55(70.9%) for 526 yards, 3 TDs 1 INT, Rating 111.63

Kaepernick(first full 2 starts): 32 for 48(66.7%) for 474 Yards, 3 TDs, 1 INT, Rating 110.94

Manuel: 45 for 66(68.2%) for 446 yards, 3 TDs 1 INT, Rating 95.89

Wilson: 33 for 54(61.1%) for 304 yards, 2 TDs, 1 INT, Rating 81.1

Dalton: 44 for 73(60.3%) for 489 yards, 2 TDs, 2 INT, Rating 77.94

Luck: 43 for 76(56.6%) for 533 yards, 3 TDs 3 INT, Rating 75.16

Tannehill: 38 for 66(57.6%) for 419 yards, 1 TD, 3 INT, Rating 62.63

Geno: 39 for 73(53.4%) for 470 yards, 1 TD, 4 INT, Rating 55.17

Just for those saying what he has done isn't that impressive, I disagree. Better rating in first two starts than anyone other than Griffin or Kaepernick, and Kaepernick was a 2nd year player, not starting until almost halfway through his 2nd season, so its a little different than a true rookie.

What I like about him is he just seems inflappable. Calm, cool, never panics no matter how bad things are going. He could have imploded after those two turnovers on back to back series, but he didn't, then came back and drove them down the field with no timeouts to win the game. Not sure what else we could want from a rookie QB who still has a lot to learn and is doing it on the fly. Oh yeah, he played a couple of pretty good defenses BTW. I know New England has been maligned for a while but the past year and this year their D is pretty solid.

Edited by matter2003

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What I like about him is he just seems inflappable. Calm, cool, never panics no matter how bad things are going. He could have imploded after those two turnovers on back to back series, but he didn't, then came back and drove them down the field with no timeouts to win the game. Not sure what else we could want from a rookie QB who still has a lot to learn and is doing it on the fly. Oh yeah, he played a couple of pretty good defenses BTW. I know New England has been maligned for a while but the past year and this year their D is pretty solid.

The stats bear proof but what you say here is what I noticed most even in the NE* game. The game did not look too big to him. He looked totally in control. Dungy said today (no link but during the Seattle-49ers rain delay) that it is important to get your team mates believing in you and he said EJ looks like he is on his way to doing that.

Love the kid, his attitude, down to earth nature and ofcourse his stats. he had a 69% completion percentage today. As you noted, it is north of 68% in two games. That is fantastic for a rookie. Hope he keeps a good head on his shoulders and continues to learn - we are in for a nice long ride.

The stats bear proof but what you say here is what I noticed most even in the NE* game. The game did not look too big to him. He looked totally in control. Dungy said today (no link but during the Seattle-49ers rain delay) that it is important to get your team mates believing in you and he said EJ looks like he is on his way to doing that.

Love the kid, his attitude, down to earth nature and ofcourse his stats. he had a 69% completion percentage today. As you noted, it is north of 68% in two games. That is fantastic for a rookie. Hope he keeps a good head on his shoulders and continues to learn - we are in for a nice long ride.

That's what I've seen as well and it's why I'm optimistic we may finally have a real QB.

He's going to have some bad throws.. bad series.. even bad games. He's even going to throw the game ending interception. All QBs do. It's just part of the game and part of all young QBs becoming NFL starters. But, what I like about him is nothing seems to get him too up or too down. He just keeps hammering away trying to make the next play better. And that's what all the best QBs do.

I don't watch a lot of college football. So I had little knowledge of EJ before we drafted him. All I knew is every analyst out there said we should be taking anyone BUT EJ (or so it seemed). Well, at this early point in his career, I'm extremely glad the FO got their man.

You can forget getting anyone, media, or their parrots here, to admit they were wrong about EJ. (Parrots do not include people who saw EJ play live. Our Seminole posters did a fair and good job, imho)

EJ has already shown that their analysis was poorly done. His numbers in college refuted so many things that were said about him prior to the draft. All of this was Bills disinformation, the media was duped, and now, rather than making it worse by continuing to spout their idiocy....

...it appears EJ is now on "ignore". :lol:

How else can you explain the behavior I have seen all day/night from them? I haven't seen a single Bills highlight.

For that game? And, considering the stats he's put up so far?

You can forget getting anyone, media, or their parrots here, to admit they were wrong about EJ. (Parrots do not include people who saw EJ play live. Our Seminole posters did a fair and good job, imho)

EJ has already shown that their analysis was poorly done. His numbers in college refuted so many things that were said about him prior to the draft. All of this was Bills disinformation, the media was duped, and now, rather than making it worse by continuing to spout their idiocy....

...it appears EJ is now on "ignore". :lol:

How else can you explain the behavior I have seen all day/night from them? I haven't seen a single Bills highlight.

For that game? And, considering the stats he's put up so far?

I saw them do a rundown of the highlights when they were pressed to fill time due to the delay on the San Fran/Seattle game. But while the others got a little analysis after them, they quickly moved on. I guess a gut wrenching last second go ahead touchdown didn't bear focus...oh wait, Jay Cutler did the exact same thing! Let's focus on that!

I saw them do a rundown of the highlights when they were pressed to fill time due to the delay on the San Fran/Seattle game. But while the others got a little analysis after them, they quickly moved on. I guess a gut wrenching last second go ahead touchdown didn't bear focus...oh wait, Jay Cutler did the exact same thing! Let's focus on that!

I noticed the same thing on the highlights shows--very little coverage, almost like our game was an afterthought. Just have a to pull a few more W's in a row together before the press starts covering us, I guess, which is fine with me. I'd prefer to fly under the radar if we can....

I agree that EJ and The Bills are "on ignore" wrt the networks. Soon they'll be forced to rip off the duct tape they have covering their eyes. JMHO.

They can ignore for a few more weeks. As long as the team keeps winning and doesn't run over a cliff as they have done so well in recent years. It's hard to ignore a playoff team though. If this team is playoff ready, we will be top billing on the nfl shows by Halloween.

They can ignore for a few more weeks. As long as the team keeps winning and doesn't run over a cliff as they have done so well in recent years. It's hard to ignore a playoff team though. If this team is playoff ready, we will be top billing on the nfl shows by Halloween.

We are on ignore. It's inexcusable. It's bad behavior, and in the end, there will be consequences.

But, in a way, I don't mind being on ignore. I'd rather have EJ be able to focus on the game, and spend all his time with his coaches, and none with the media. The first will make him better, then next impedes that.

Let's have Geno Smith do all the interviews. Let's have RG3 get all the questions. Keep our guy on ignore, clowns, and we'll see what happens.

Also, EJ is the first rookie QB since 1960 to have a passer rating higher than 89 in each of his first two games.

I say something where he's only like the 5th rookie QB to led a 4th quarter game winning drive in his first 2 games.

And who cares what the national media says? And honestly, can you blame them for ignoring the Bills? Until they prove it is for real, they should be ignored. But yesterday was beautiful to watch. Keep it up and they (and Manuel) will get plenty of attention.

Thought I would do a quick breakdown of Manuel's first 2 games and see how they compared to other recent young QB's:

Kaepernick(first full 2 starts): 32 for 48(66.7%) for 474 Yards, 3 TDs, 1 INT, Rating 110.94

Just for those saying what he has done isn't that impressive, I disagree. Better rating in first two starts than anyone other than Griffin or Kaepernick, and Kaepernick was a 2nd year player, not starting until almost halfway through his 2nd season, so its a little different than a true rookie.

The SINGLE most important aspect of his game yesterday. BY FAR, in my opinion. This game is all about getting up off the mat. The great ones know how to do it. Damned impressive showing by EJ in this regard.

As to the game winning drive, the impact that has on the rest of the team can't be overstated. Your defense wants to play harder knowing they have a chance and your offense will just follow his lead when someone takes command like that. And it's infectious and it grows as the team matures.

Shades of '86, folks.

GO BILLS!!!

Thanks for doing the research & making the post. Good stuff.