So does Byrd play on sunday or not?

billsgpr88

where are the doctors clearing him to play? id guess, if the team really wanted to force it and thought he was faking wed start seeing some vague quotes about him being clear floated to the media by "sources"

i don't think he was ever "not cleared". that's probably why he got a second opinion. he did say he played through it last year. so what, is it that much WORSE this year? despite resting it for 8 months, which is supposedly the only treatment? that doesn't make much sense. his own words betray his thoughts, he played through it before and this year he said he's not going out there until he's "100%". what more do we need to hear to believe he's milking it?

that said, i wish he'd play, cuz Jim Leonhard is awful and a waste of space.

Edited by Brainiac21

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll give you that. He isn't a safety like Ed Reed or Polamalu, but he IS considered a top 5 player and maybe push it to top 10 player in his position.

Do I want Byrd to leave the Bills? Absolutely not. I don't even have an issue with him wanting the money he wants. It's the "business" side of the NFL. What I DO have a problem with is his attitude. You got franchised. You're going to get MILLIONS of dollars to play this year. Yes there's a chance you will get franchised again next year. Just be a freakin man and realize things didn't work out the way you expected and just give a damn decent interview. He's bringing negative energy that this young team doesn't need. (If and only if that's how he acts when the cameras are not on him)

That being said I can only have an opinion on Byrd from what "I" see on video. Maybe he's really laughing it up and having a good time with his teammates when the media isn't around.

I hope the PF isn't that serious and he plays this week. He might need to hit somebody on the field to let some of his frustration out.

I agree with all of this, especially the last sentence. He is first and foremost a football player and I gotta believe he's itching to prove it to somebody.

GO BILLS

Byrd is a lot of things...he certainly isn't Revis nor does he have a resume anywhere near the resume the cornerback Revis brings to the bargaining table.

Not sure what that has to do with my post but I would never compare a S with a CB, let alone a CB with Revis' ability. IMHO, as a safety, Byrd doesn't come CLOSE to the talent level that Revis has as a CB.

GO BILLS!!!

early reports were he looked to be in pretty good shape - might we agree that he wasnt just sitting around all offseason? or does stirring the pot and riling up the mob make the situation more enjoyable?

Really, how good of shape could he be in if he had PF and couldn't run all off season? He is playing the

Bills!

remind me when that figure became fact? while at it, freshen me up on what were the guaranteed dollars? the length? incentives?

Remind me when it became fact that Byrd was worth $9.5M/yr?

Double LOL! You dispute my $7.5M figure but yet you're convinced Byrd got lowballed? Based on what exactly? Plus you ignore the apparent fact the Byrd was hiding an injury.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Remind me when it became fact that Byrd was worth $9.5M/yr?

Double LOL! You dispute my $7.5M figure but yet you're convinced Byrd got lowballed? Based on what exactly? Plus you ignore the apparent fact the Byrd was hiding an injury.

PTR

im not sure if its intentional or accidental on your part.... but ive never said he was worth 9.5m, and havent argued that the bills did certainly lowball him. i brought up the possibility to refute the certainty of your assertions. i also do not think you can present as fact that he was hiding an injury that the bills treated him for just last year.

to get us back on the same page -- so far the discussion is:

PTR: "byrd hid his injury and was offered 7.5m and refused offers short of 9.5m"

nosaint "how do you know that? how do you know these other things didnt happen?"

i eagerly await the triple lol reply....

"plus you ignore the apparent fact the Byrd was hiding an injury.''

ignore the apparent fact? my head just exploded. lol thats some sweet manipulation for i have decided this is a fact even tho its not even close to being a actual "FACT" by the definition of the word fact.

fact

noun \ˈfakt\

: something that truly exists or happens : something that has actual existence

: a true piece of information

we dont know everything thats gone on with the byrd situation.

i believe you mean "in my opinion"

i don't think he was ever "not cleared". that's probably why he got a second opinion. he did say he played through it last year. so what, is it that much WORSE this year? despite resting it for 8 months, which is supposedly the only treatment? that doesn't make much sense. his own words betray his thoughts, he played through it before and this year he said he's not going out there until he's "100%". what more do we need to hear to believe he's milking it?

This is the only way to interpret his words and actions in my opinion.

Had the Bills given into Byrd's demands, would he be playing football right now?

He would be playing ball as he certainly would sign a contract that gave him everything he wanted to sign a contract.. The more likely good question is whether he would be playing for the Bills as the MO under the Ralph/Brandon regime is set by how they negotiated with Byrd's agent Parker on the Peters deal. Parker did an excellent job IMHO for his client in that the Bills ended up participating in getting Peter's demand for a long-term deal as rich as anyone signed by other LTs. This is exactly what Peters got but the Iggles and not the Bills ended up signing the checks. If I was Parker I would advise Byrd to hold out for a similar gift as the Bills FO (Brandon, Overdorf and Mr. Ralph are exactly the same people even though their HC has been changed.

I agree with all of this, especially the last sentence. He is first and foremost a football player and I gotta believe he's itching to prove it to somebody.

GO BILLS

Not sure what that has to do with my post but I would never compare a S with a CB, let alone a CB with Revis' ability. IMHO, as a safety, Byrd doesn't come CLOSE to the talent level that Revis has as a CB.

GO BILLS!!!

Actually the way the game is played has shifted a lot in the direction of making the having a quality S of much greater import to winning than having even the best CBs. Merely compare the success of teams like the Jets with their lockdown CB Revis or even the Bills who seem to have spent a lot of capital on lockdown CBs like Winfield or whatshisname who flew the coop for SF or the largest defender deal ever signed at the time. Look at how safties like Polamalu and Sanders played for Pitts and Indy when they won SBs and it is a good indicator that your claim about the relative value of CBs/Ss is old thinking. Certainly the Bills have also spent a lot on folks like Witner, but her was one of 3 safeties that year who commanded top 15 picks. Its just not your grandmother's NFL anymore.

Posted by Chris Brown on September 19, 2013 – 5:04 pm

Bills FS Jairus Byrd (foot) and OL Doug Legursky (knee) participated in practice for a second straight day, but neither of them participated fully.

Byrd and Legursky were both limited Thursday.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2013/09/19/byrd-legursky-limited/

Act 3 continues sunday

Honestly at this point unless we are in the midst of a "playoff run" and could really use him I don't care if he plays. Let the Coaches and Whaley see what the other safeties on the roster can do, let them get experience that way they can figure out how they want to proceed in the offseason. I believe the ship on Byrd signing long term has sailed.....

Honestly at this point unless we are in the midst of a "playoff run" and could really use him I don't care if he plays. Let the Coaches and Whaley see what the other safeties on the roster can do, let them get experience that way they can figure out how they want to proceed in the offseason. I believe the ship on Byrd signing long term has sailed.....

I feel that same way .

Lets move on and develop the next one.

I think the Bills did not want to pay a guy who they personally medicated all last year and considered that strongly before any negotiations began.

It has not turned out well for either side at all. And now that the franchise tender has been signed , but fact Byrd has not played a down , he does not want to play for the Buffalo Bills any more. and i would suspect the feeling has been/ is mutual.

Posted by Chris Brown on September 19, 2013 – 5:04 pm

Bills FS Jairus Byrd (foot) and OL Doug Legursky (knee) participated in practice for a second straight day, but neither of them participated fully.

Byrd and Legursky were both limited Thursday.

http://blogs.buffalo...gursky-limited/

Act 3 continues sunday

He will be back next week. He might even dress this week.

... Actually the way the game is played has shifted a lot in the direction of making the having a quality S of much greater import to winning than having even the best CBs. Merely compare the success of teams like the Jets with their lockdown CB Revis or even the Bills who seem to have spent a lot of capital on lockdown CBs like Winfield or whatshisname who flew the coop for SF or the largest defender deal ever signed at the time. Look at how safties like Polamalu and Sanders played for Pitts and Indy when they won SBs and it is a good indicator that your claim about the relative value of CBs/Ss is old thinking. Certainly the Bills have also spent a lot on folks like Witner, but her was one of 3 safeties that year who commanded top 15 picks. Its just not your grandmother's NFL anymore.

I'll be diplomatic and just say I disagree with every assertion and dot connecting logic in this post except the last point about it not being my grandmother's NFL.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9