So does Byrd play on sunday or not?

billsgpr88

yes, yes it could be. we dont know and "i find it hard to believe" doesnt really mean anything. it also could be at risk for turning into a more devastating injury if he decides to risk it.

just like we hear "sprain" and it could be something you play through or something that sidelines you for months. thats the problem with comparing him to mario right now.

I understand, that's why I'm saying it shouldn't be up to him. We own him for the short term. I'm not thinking long term as he has made it clear he wants to go elsewhere. I would like to see the Bills put it out there that he's cleared to play and if he doesn't then that just looks poorly on him. I think he would want to get back on the field sooner if the issue was pressed a little more

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes, yes it could be. we dont know and "i find it hard to believe" doesnt really mean anything. it also could be at risk for turning into a more devastating injury if he decides to risk it.

just like we hear "sprain" and it could be something you play through or something that sidelines you for months. thats the problem with comparing him to mario right now.

Mario has already made his bank, he is honoring his commitment. Props to him. Byrd needs to be healthy to showcase to other teams.

I understand, that's why I'm saying it shouldn't be up to him. We own him for the short term. I'm not thinking long term as he has made it clear he wants to go elsewhere. I would like to see the Bills put it out there that he's cleared to play and if he doesn't then that just looks poorly on him. I think he would want to get back on the field sooner if the issue was pressed a little more

or make us look like vindictive idiots that FAs wouldnt want to sign with if we are doing it and its not true.

Ya gotta love the sort of WNY guys who take pride in being "blue collar" yet hate to see a fellow employee-type like Byrd try to get a good payday for himself. Keeping in mind that most football players have one shot to make "bank" - the contract after their rookie one - Byrd is doing what any sane employee would do with that one chance, that is, make as much money as possible. So the Bills should pitch a hissy fit and get rid of him because of that? And then what? If another player rises to top level, that player will also want to be paid like a top player so we're right back where we started. Marone!

As to him "faking" his injury, why in the world would he do that? Right now he has a one year contract and that's it. He probably wants a five year one at top money. The only way he can possible get that from the the Bills or some other team is by shining on the field. Does anybody who is rational believe that if Byrd sits out for most of the season, or under-performs when and if he does play, some generic GM is going to back up the Brinks truck for him? Al Davis is moldering in the grave so I don't see that happening. The only way for Byrd to get top money is to perform as a top safety right here, right now. To fake an injury or to malinger will only drive down his price.

I trust that the Bills have analyzed the position and the player and have arrived at what they believe is a solid figure much as they did with Levitre. I don't think they are going to budge much from that. And obviously Byrd and Parker have a different view. So what I think it will come down to is that Byrd gets on the field as soon as he can play at a high enough level to attract interest (and not a moment sooner) and will do a great job for the Bills, who will then entertain offers for him after the season. Both the Bills and Byrd (and Parker) have a vested interest in Jairus having a tremendous season.

Revis got top dollar without having to play and right after a major injury.

Byrd will not have to play to get top dollar from another team cuz he has tape to prove how good he is. The only thing that will stop Byrd from getting the amount he's asking for is that it's not his first time getting injured.

If this is a chronic injury that he had issues with last year and it is so far keeping him from playing this season, no team in their right mind is going to give him a long term deal that he wants.

With all off season to rehab / rest, and missing all camp + preseason + first 2 games... and he still isn't right ? Sounds career threatening if he hasn't been right in 9-10 months.

Just searching online - the key to rehabbing it seems to be rest to allow the ligaments to heal and then proper stretching / shoes or inserts to correct posture of the foot... of course everyone is different..

Byrd is likely sitting out to limit is risk on major injury this season.. he will come back somewhere near the half way point of the year to try and save face so teams know he can still play.

If this is a chronic injury that he had issues with last year and it is so far keeping him from playing this season, no team in their right mind is going to give him a long term deal that he wants.

With all off season to rehab / rest, and missing all camp + preseason + first 2 games... and he still isn't right ? Sounds career threatening if he hasn't been right in 9-10 months.

Just searching online - the key to rehabbing it seems to be rest to allow the ligaments to heal and then proper stretching / shoes or inserts to correct posture of the foot... of course everyone is different..

Byrd is likely sitting out to limit is risk on major injury this season.. he will come back somewhere near the half way point of the year to try and save face so teams know he can still play.

this

It is actually a hip problem for most people, that manifests in the arch of the foot.

Generally tight hammies or tight hip flexors gradually make you walk differently, throwing everything out of alignment.

the key to long term healing is actually consistant stretching of the hip flexors and hamstrings.

short term healing is all about icing it and using orthotics. I am sure Byrd hasd the best treatment, in any event.

In retrospect, was Whaley justified in asking the league for an extension of the roster exemption for Byrd?

GO BILLS!!!

Byrd will not have to play to get top dollar from another team cuz he has tape to prove how good he is. The only thing that will stop Byrd from getting the amount he's asking for is that it's not his first time getting injured.

That tape on Byrd cuts both ways. And that isn't the gang at Profootballfocus critiquing it, either. He has legit holes in his game.

GO BILLS!!!

Revis had a injury that can be recovered from, Byrd is chronic or unpredicable

In retrospect, was Whaley justified in asking the league for an extension of the roster exemption for Byrd?

GO BILLS!!!

That tape on Byrd cuts both ways. And that isn't the gang at Profootballfocus critiquing it, either. He has legit holes in his game.

GO BILLS!!!

I'll give you that. He isn't a safety like Ed Reed or Polamalu, but he IS considered a top 5 player and maybe push it to top 10 player in his position.

Do I want Byrd to leave the Bills? Absolutely not. I don't even have an issue with him wanting the money he wants. It's the "business" side of the NFL. What I DO have a problem with is his attitude. You got franchised. You're going to get MILLIONS of dollars to play this year. Yes there's a chance you will get franchised again next year. Just be a freakin man and realize things didn't work out the way you expected and just give a damn decent interview. He's bringing negative energy that this young team doesn't need. (If and only if that's how he acts when the cameras are not on him)

That being said I can only have an opinion on Byrd from what "I" see on video. Maybe he's really laughing it up and having a good time with his teammates when the media isn't around.

I hope the PF isn't that serious and he plays this week. He might need to hit somebody on the field to let some of his frustration out.

GO BILLS!!!

GO BILLS!!!

Byrd is a lot of things...he certainly isn't Revis nor does he have a resume anywhere near the resume the cornerback Revis brings to the bargaining table.

What makes Revis's injury recoverable? Every body is different. Some people have 10 concussions and still play at a high level. Some people have one and they're never the same again.

Agree, we just don't know. I just would not guarantee a long term ,#1 $$$ contract to Byrd at this time