So does Byrd play on sunday or not?

billsgpr88

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a prediction --- BTyrd returns for game #4 ! --- why, you ask ? --- because at that point his $6.9M salary will equate to $530K/game over last 13 games --- amortize that over 16 games and you get . . . . . drumroll . . . . $8.5M --- exactly what he and his agent were asking for --- FAKER ! ---

Edited by TXBILLSFAN

screw him. Put Leonhard back there. The fact that he knows Pettine's defense is at least somewhat comforting.

No it's not Leonard is slow and doesn't make a lot of plays. I'm guessing Byrd goes on IR soon and then leaves next year. What a waste of good talent.

Here's a prediction --- BTyrd returns for game #4 ! --- why, you ask ? --- because at that point his $6.9M salary will equate to $530K/game over last 13 games --- amortize that over 16 games and you get . . . . . drumroll . . . . $8.5M --- exactly what he and his agent were asking for --- FAKER ! ---

Sarcasm, right?

No it's not Leonard is slow and doesn't make a lot of plays. I'm guessing Byrd goes on IR soon and then leaves next year. What a waste of good talent.

Sarcasm, right?

Yes sarcasm, but I do believe he would be playing had he signed a 5-year $45M contract in the off-season, for what it's worth --

Sarcasm, right?

But leads the team in tackles. He's not flashy, but he does his job. Byrd on the other hand is collecting a check waiting til he can fly the coop.

Leonard looked pretty solid last week. A healthy motivated Byrd would have looked better. Problem is Byrd is not healthy or appears not motivated to help the Bills' cause right now.

Leonard will hold the fort down but eventually his body will begin to break down some. I doubt Leonard will be able to sustain his level of player over 16 weeks. I hoep Byrd can be back in a few weeks and thus contribute.

FWIW - If the Bills IR him they are doing him a favor. He can say to other teams that he was really fine after week 4 but the Bills are asses yaddah yaddah yaddah. The longer he sits out the other way it makes his foot issues more of a big red flag to a team who might want to give him money. His situation isnt really going to get better so long as he plays football, it's about management of it and if he displays to suitors that his feet were bad enough to sit out 10 or 11 weeks after having had a whole off-season to rest it he makes a problem for himself. Hard to imagine somebody throwing Ed Reed money over a long term to a guy with a chronic condition in both feet that caused him to miss most or all of a season.

Frankly at this point I don't care if he plays or not. I've moved on and don't really consider him part of the team anymore. He's going to do whatever he is going to do. These guys are mercenaries and that's fine. Mercenaries are disposable by nature and have no emotional tie. Some of you have aptly noted that he doesn't care what we think and you're right but really how much do we care about him as opposed to a Fred Jackson who has played his balls off for us, gotten stiffed for money at every turn and has hardly said a word about it? Fred is a warrior - he does it because it's what he loves and we love him for it. Byrd isn't the only merc and he won't be the last, just see him for what he is and move on. You need some hired guns but you build around the warriors. When your warriors also happen to be top 3 players at their position you end up with a great football team.

People have brought up Bruce Smith in the past with his myriad of holdouts but when the games counted Bruce was always there unless he was legitimately hurt (1991) or he forgot to get a flu shot (1995 playoffs). There was no mealy mouthed maybe he's in maybe he's out crap. Ditto Thurman and Kelly and Reed. Warriors all and they are beloved. Cornelius Bennett less so because he left at his first chance and he held out as a rookie so he showed his cards early on as the hired gun type. Like I said you need some of them, but you can see the impact on legacy.

And I'm aware that Jim would have been a hired gun as well since he spurned us initially but anyone who doubts Jim's warrior cred never saw the beating he took and kept getting up from to win games. He was a beast and if he wanted to beg out of games there were PLENTY of chances.

He earned his status.

I am done thinking about this guy. I have no doubt he is injured. I also have no doubt he would nonetheless be out there but for not having a long term deal (like Mario is gutting it out).

Just too bad the FO chose so poorly and basically picked Byrd over Levitre.

Well, we are going to need basically all that money we didn't spend on Byrd and Levitre to resign guys for next offseason, and of course, some of that has already been used for Wood. I liked Levitre too but Marrone is an Oline guy, so I trust his judgment, and Brown did pretty good last week.

FWIW - If the Bills IR him they are doing him a favor. He can say to other teams that he was really fine after week 4 but the Bills are asses yaddah yaddah yaddah. The longer he sits out the other way it makes his foot issues more of a big red flag to a team who might want to give him money. His situation isnt really going to get better so long as he plays football, it's about management of it and if he displays to suitors that his feet were bad enough to sit out 10 or 11 weeks after having had a whole off-season to rest it he makes a problem for himself. Hard to imagine somebody throwing Ed Reed money over a long term to a guy with a chronic condition in both feet that caused him to miss most or all of a season.

Frankly at this point I don't care if he plays or not. I've moved on and don't really consider him part of the team anymore. He's going to do whatever he is going to do. These guys are mercenaries and that's fine. Mercenaries are disposable by nature and have no emotional tie. Some of you have aptly noted that he doesn't care what we think and you're right but really how much do we care about him as opposed to a Fred Jackson who has played his balls off for us, gotten stiffed for money at every turn and has hardly said a word about it? Fred is a warrior - he does it because it's what he loves and we love him for it. Byrd isn't the only merc and he won't be the last, just see him for what he is and move on. You need some hired guns but you build around the warriors. When your warriors also happen to be top 3 players at their position you end up with a great football team.

People have brought up Bruce Smith in the past with his myriad of holdouts but when the games counted Bruce was always there unless he was legitimately hurt (1991) or he forgot to get a flu shot (1995 playoffs). There was no mealy mouthed maybe he's in maybe he's out crap. Ditto Thurman and Kelly and Reed. Warriors all and they are beloved. Cornelius Bennett less so because he left at his first chance and he held out as a rookie so he showed his cards early on as the hired gun type. Like I said you need some of them, but you can see the impact on legacy.

And I'm aware that Jim would have been a hired gun as well since he spurned us initially but anyone who doubts Jim's warrior cred never saw the beating he took and kept getting up from to win games. He was a beast and if he wanted to beg out of games there were PLENTY of chances.

He earned his status.

I agree about Fred--love the guy. Love Stevie and Wood, too, and Kyle Williams. Guys who actually have loyalty and aren't mercenaries. Nice to see. About Fred, though, I don't think he got stiffed for money throughout his career, opportunity, maybe, but not money. He had a long, hard journey to make it big time coming from Coe College, and Buddy held to his word and paid Fred even though many people thought he was getting too old to deserve it (I wasn't one of them). I think Fred worked his ass off and got rewarded fairly.

Well, we are going to need basically all that money we didn't spend on Byrd and Levitre to resign guys for next offseason, and of course, some of that has already been used for Wood. I liked Levitre too but Marrone is an Oline guy, so I trust his judgment, and Brown did pretty good last week.

Based on what i saw and the reviews i read, Brown got thoroughly abused last week. Buddy thought he could get by with some bargain guys at guard and I think we will suffer as a result.

Also for what it's worth, Mike Munchak is an online guy and they went out and signed Levitre AND drafted Womack in the first round.

http://profootballta...l-for-week-two/

Byrd listed as doubtful for Sunday.

No Surprise there

CBF

I think there is an agent that believes the Bills management is weak and is going to make an example of them so he can have his way with Byrd and others in his tent. I cannot see the league putting up with a faked injury as a negotiations tactic. If there is evidence of a faked injury a player should be suspended without pay. The player should not be counted against the roster and his career in the NFL should be over. The issue should be left to an arbitrator and the courts to settle. Until such a decision is made the player needs to continue his treatment for his condition and continue to be on the roster. There should be no trade negotiations ongoing during this period. It would not make sense to attempt to trade and injured player. If an agent attempted to bring trades to the table during this period it should be construed by the arbitrator/court to be evidence of fraud on the part of the player and his representatives. Of course any player agent who is guilty of using a fraudulent tactic in a negotiation should be banned from representing any player in the league.

But leads the team in tackles. He's not flashy, but he does his job. Byrd on the other hand is collecting a check waiting til he can fly the coop.

I don't hate Leonard but a safety leading the team in tackles on the worst run D in the league is not that impressive.