So Byrd is hurt too

Jdragon2

Interesting response from Marrone, during his press conference, when asked if Byrd's injury was something that occurred before reporting or after: "I think that’s a good question. Obviously he passed our physical when he came in."

Plantar fasciitis is diagnosed by patient symptoms. There is no one test for plantar fasciitis. I was misdiagnosed with it and when treatment made it worse rather than better doctor investigated something else and finally found issue.

His foot is probably sore from all of the backpedaling from attempting to avoid playing for Bills.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then it's even more mysterious than I thought. If he had a history of plantar's, I'd understand a flare-up. But I haven't seen any mention of it over his career.

Maybe, in addition to the light practice schedule, it was that series of 100 yard gassers they had him running in DC before the game.

He just wasn't ready to withstand the rigors no matter how we slice it.

GO BILLS!!!

Or maybe he's been working hard all summer and its simply a byproduct of that? Or is that not count cause it can't be a strike against him?

Edited by NoSaint

I'm actually sick of this story and have tried to avoid it, but I'll say my piece. He's a top 5 safety based on past production and potential (he's young), and he wants a long term contract -- not a franchise contract -- that reflects this. A contract of this type typically includes an initial signing bonus in the $20 million or so range, which is $13 million less than he's getting from the Bills this season. Like all NFL players, he's concerned about injuries, and well he should be. There are no players in the NFL who are more "injury prone" than others -- they're all injury prone given the nature of the sport. Yes, some have more nagging injuries than others, but most everyone has a bad injury at some point. For most players, a season-ending injury is an inevitability, and Byrd would be an abject fool not to be concerned about this. The people bitching about his complaints don't seem to be willing to contextualize the situation. Basically, he's way, way, way better at what he does than any of us on this board. Plus he's in a field that places a premium on high end talent. Consequently, I have very little tolerance for jokers from South Buffalo, Cheektowaga, Elmira, etc. saying that these guys make too much money and screw him. Remember: if the players don't get the money, the owners do. The TV contracts and ticket prices are set. And frankly, I don't care about the owners. Nor do I want to watch Jerry Jones et al. on TV doing whatever it is that they do.

Is anyone else hear thinking that Byrd is being a baby?

Didnt get what he wanted so he fakes injury and makes sure he doesn't get injured all while collecting his $432k a game.

Personally I think he's full of it and now I'm no longer happy he signed. I'd rather just cut this pos.

Maybe.

But his timing for a case of plantar's couldn't have been worse on many levels.

GO BILLS!!!

Timings terrible but until he's missing snaps it seems like being mad because your looking for a reason to be mad (not you specifically).

As it is, in a week we could be lauding the guy for playing despite injury.... Well, we won't be... But we will see if its cause he sat, or if we're just bitter despite him playing.

I'm actually sick of this story and have tried to avoid it, but I'll say my piece. He's a top 5 safety based on past production and potential (he's young), and he wants a long term contract -- not a franchise contract -- that reflects this. A contract of this type typically includes an initial signing bonus in the $20 million or so range, which is $13 million less than he's getting from the Bills this season. Like all NFL players, he's concerned about injuries, and well he should be. There are no players in the NFL who are more "injury prone" than others -- they're all injury prone given the nature of the sport. Yes, some have more nagging injuries than others, but most everyone has a bad injury at some point. For most players, a season-ending injury is an inevitability, and Byrd would be an abject fool not to be concerned about this. The people bitching about his complaints don't seem to be willing to contextualize the situation. Basically, he's way, way, way better at what he does than any of us on this board. Plus he's in a field that places a premium on high end talent. Consequently, I have very little tolerance for jokers from South Buffalo, Cheektowaga, Elmira, etc. saying that these guys make too much money and screw him. Remember: if the players don't get the money, the owners do. The TV contracts and ticket prices are set. And frankly, I don't care about the owners. Nor do I want to watch Jerry Jones et al. on TV doing whatever it is that they do.

Well that seemed needlessly pretentious. How do you know he's way way way better than I am at his job that I am at my job? Anyway, he plays a sport where they pay premium dollar for top players in top positions. Byrd is a safety, and apparently, not a top need and so did not warrant top long term contract according to the front office. That's all this is. This has been hashed out at nauseum, including my points and yours. We should all get past it, the season is about to start, that's in the past!

Is anyone else hear thinking that Byrd is being a baby?

Didnt get what he wanted so he fakes injury and makes sure he doesn't get injured all while collecting his $432k a game.

Personally I think he's full of it and now I'm no longer happy he signed. I'd rather just cut this pos.

I've thought this too, but does he get paid if he doesn't play? I would think he does, but there are those on this board who say otherwise. Someone clear this up?

I've thought this too, but does he get paid if he doesn't play? I would think he does, but there are those on this board who say otherwise. Someone clear this up?

he gets paid every penny regardless if he plays or not. Part of the Franchise Tag.

Timings terrible but until he's missing snaps it seems like being mad because your looking for a reason to be mad (not you specifically).

As it is, in a week we could be lauding the guy for playing despite injury.... Well, we won't be... But we will see if its cause he sat, or if we're just bitter despite him playing.

I have never been mad at Byrd and I've been arguing the point throughout this thread that the worst thing he could do for himself is to fake an injury and malinger and, given that he grew up around the game and knows intimately the physical sacrifices these guys make on a daily basis, it just isn't in his character to do so. But now every conspiracy theorist out there is gonna have a field day with this.

GO BILLS!!!

Must admit that it sounds to me like his strategy is to play as little as possible this year to make it tough to justify paying him $8+m next year on the tag, all while collecting this year's franchise tag $ and giving himself a good story to tell next year when he hits FA....

The Bills wanted to give him a long term contract. Nobody knows what Byrd and his agent were asking for, or what the Bills were offering. So, without being privy to the negotiations, you can no more contextualize the situation than the "jokers from South Buffalo, Cheektowaga, Elmira, etc" that you refer to. You have simply chosen to assume the Bills organization did not make him a reasonable offer. What we do know is this: The franchise tag is available to teams and they have the right to use it. It is a part of doing business in the NFL that was agreed to by players and owners. The Bills franchised Byrd; however, they did not reach a long term agreement and Byrd had the option to sign or not sign the tender. All of that is business - that is the way it works in the NFL. Yet, once Byrd signed the tender his obligation was to be in camp with enough time to learn the new system, get in playing shape, and be ready to give 100% come gameday.

Edited by billsfan1959

The Bills wanted to give him a long term contract. Nobody knows what Byrd and his agent were asking for, or what the Bills were offering. So, without being privy to the negotiations, you can no more contextualize the situation than the "jokers from South Buffalo, Cheektowaga, Elmira, etc" that you refer to.

True, but what we do know is that the Bills are $23M under the cap this year. Personally, if they're that far under the cap I don't care if they slightly overpay a very good player in order to ensure that he doesn't get away or this type of distraction takes place. Now, if the Bills were utilizing the entire cap then I'd be all for the hardball approach but it would appear - based on their unwillingness to utilize the entire cap that they are allowed to - that they are simply being frugal.

I'm not sure why fans give a rats-a$$ about "overpaying" a player when they're not anywhere near the cap and it's not the fans' money. I just want the quality players to be re-signed and in order to do that in Buffalo they're going to have to overpay.

Edited by MDH

Can anyone link a case of a player faking an injury to sit out a season and then receiving a top contract? I find most of your opinions to be terrible at best and full of jealousy.

This right here. I don't understand how people think he will receive a top contract next year if he doesn't play well this year. I don't think it's even guaranteed he would receive a top contract from another team this year if we didn't tag him. Edited by Knoell

Can anyone link a case of a player faking an injury to sit out a season and then receiving a top contract? I find most of your opinions to be terrible at best and full of jealousy.

Jairus Byrd hasn't become Jairus Tyrd yet. he has NOT missed a regular season game with a suspicious injury yet.

why is it so hard to fathom a player in Byrd's position, to be overly cautious and NOT play through an injury with a one year deal like he would if he had the security of a long term deal.

no player has ever been proved "faking" an injury to miss games. some serious injuries are easy to diagnose, while others are very very difficult. in a separate issue,lots of players fake injuries to stop the clock during a game, then recover in time for the next play.

#1- name a player who faked an injury for any reason, that resulted in missing game(s).

#2- Plantar fasciitis is a REAL injury. only Jairus knows how painful it is. kind of like a bad back, plantar fasciitis is the perfect injury if you are looking for an excuse not to play, but still get paid. Jairus will get the same benefit of the doubt that all players give to each other regarding injury.

#3- name a Franchised tag player (superstar) who got injured after being tagged, but BEFORE signing a long term deal and then did NOT eventually sign a huge contract. assuming a player is 100% healthy after recovering from an injury, he will get his huge payday.

Jairus just said dang.....

The Cincinnati Bengals and defensive tackle Geno Atkins have agreed to a long-term extension, NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reported Monday, per a person who had been briefed on the deal.

The Cincinnati Enquirer's Joe Reedy first reported the news.

The extension is for five years and $55 million, Rapoport reported, with Atkins earning $22 million in the first six months.

The fourth-round draft pick was slated to earn $1.4 million in the last year of his rookie deal.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000237310/article/geno-atkins-cincinnati-bengals-agree-to-contract-extension