Does Goodwin make you rethink the McKelvin deal?

Virgil

Does the deal look bad in hindsight, perhaps, but there was no way of knowing how good Goodwin would be. Plus, only preseason. McKelvin has done it in the regular season. And he has good cover skills, just TERRIBLE ball skills. Those can be corrected with proper coaching. The talent is there, hopefully it comes together this year. If so, we got a steal.

I agree with the first highlighted sentence. And I'm hoping the 2nd highlighted sentence proves to be true.

First I don't have a problem with the contract. I hope he lives up to it and having a pass rush should help. I think he should be better than a slot corner.

I certainly hope they can teach him to turn around at the ball (by looking at the receivers eyes), he really needs to pick that skill up, I frankly don't understand why he hasn't yet. It is really hard to get through my head.....he just doesn't freaking turn when the ball is on the freaking way! Come on, what is that? Drives me batty! He stays with these guys even when he has to cover them 5-6 seconds much of the time. He is decent against runners and in open field tackling (something that the above mentioned Cromartie was crappy at before and was coachable). Cromartie loses his guys sometimes in coverage, still though. I really hope McKelvin can be fixed.

On the other hand, he was looking improved (as was the whole D as a matter of fact) as the season progressed last year, even in spite of Dave's scheme. And I think if we didn't resign him he would be leaving us soon, no? I do think he still has upside

I hope he can be more than a returner. In fact I hope they don't need to use him for that, even if there is some drop off. We don't have a good back up for him and god forbid anything happens to Gilmore.

So no, Goodwin doesn't affect my thinking about his deal at all. It is not my money anyways and we are comfortably under the cap. It is an important position and needs a good player there (I just don't KNOW that is him).

Edited by bowery4

I think that's a bit strong. Leodis has always shown the ability to run stride for stride with any receiver in the league. He's often in good position. His problems come when it's time to make a play on the ball. I believe that this can be taught. The speed and hip fluidity to stay with a receiver cannot. I'm hoping that this new coaching staff can do something to improve his ball skills. If they can, McKelvin can still be a good corner in this league.

sometimes ya gotta crazy talk to get noticed around here....laffin

anyways, McKelvin can't flip his hips for change of direction, his timimg to jump/leap for the ball is comical, only had 1 interception last season because he doesn't look at the ball coming so I predict one will hit him in the back of the head this year, seems to be a little injury prone. he has played mostly slot corner and will be heavily tested this season on the outside as most teams will prefer to pick on him and avoid Gilmore.

on the plus side he is fast as hell, is an absolute stud ALL-PRO kick returner. hopefully he finally shows some upside as a corner.

When all is said and done, he just signed a brand new 4-year deal for $17 million, of which $6 million is guaranteed. Health notwithstanding, he's clearly going to be the starter opposite Gilmore. Personally, I just don't get it. I give him kudos as a PR/KR guy, but that's not why they're paying him.

sometimes ya gotta crazy talk to get noticed around here....laffin

anyways, McKelvin can't flip his hips for change of direction, his timimg to jump/leap for the ball is comical, only had 1 interception last season because he doesn't look at the ball coming so I predict one will hit him in the back of the head this year, seems to be a little injury prone. he has played mostly slot corner and will be heavily tested this season on the outside as most teams will prefer to pick on him and avoid Gilmore.

on the plus side he is fast as hell, is an absolute stud ALL-PRO kick returner. hopefully he finally shows some upside as a corner.

Pretty convenient to forget all of the balls he broke up ?

I'd say wait til the end of this season to write the McKelvin can't cover book. JMO

Edited by Ryan L Billz

It will be interesting watching McKelvin playing with the benefit of a pass rush for the first time in his career.

I actually don't think a good pass rush will matter. My sense is that McKelvin's problems have less to do with coverage and more to do with complete ball "unawareness." He can blanket a guy down the field, but when the ball is thrown in his direction, he either misplays it, commits PI, or the receiver just outmuscles him for the ball. If I am a QB and I see McKelvin in single coverage, I just throw it up in the air.

I actually don't think a good pass rush will matter. My sense is that McKelvin's problems have less to do with coverage and more to do with complete ball "unawareness." He can blanket a guy down the field, but when the ball is thrown in his direction, he either misplays it, commits PI, or the receiver just outmuscles him for the ball. If I am a QB and I see McKelvin in single coverage, I just throw it up in the air.

This is a good assessment of his biggest problem. It's also what I am hoping the new coaching staff has keyed in on, and McKelvin's biggest area of improvement.

Like I said, he actually played pretty well in the second half of last season.

It's also clear that:

1. He has a technique problem.
  2. These are the best coaches we've had since we drafted him.

I'm not saying the math does itself...but it's looking pretty promising.

You would think that one of these years McKelvin would finally learn to react to the ball in the air... I'm not holding my breath.

Cover skills are great and everything but mean very little if you can't make a play on the ball... How many times did we see that last year alone?

Cromartie looked "awful" until Pettine got a hold of him in NY.

Anyone saying McKelvin can't play CB apparently wasn't watching the latter parts of last season. He showed a marked improvement later on last year, something to build on. As for his salary, 4.25 million per year is peanuts for a 2nd/3rd CB. The people whining that he's overpaid are the people that still have yet to grasp the current pay scale in the NFL.

I disagree because in previous years, no Bills CB could play the ball because they never knew when it was coming, whether it would come out at 2 seconds or at 5 seconds.

Now the corners will be playing with the expectation that the plays will unfold in a natural time frame and they will be able to look for the ball instead of before when they knew that there was no pass rush and that they had to focus solely on staying with their man and never looking for the ball.

so many short term memories.

No one has a perfect season and IIRC he was in the top 5 in combined return yardage.

The Bills team was ranked 4th with 27 yds average. In 13 games Leodis had 28.3 yds average on kickoffs and on punt returns 18.7 yds.

sharing the workload with a speedster won't hurt.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

McKelvin will benefit greatly from a consistent pass rush. Besides, the place we still absolutely struggle to cover anyone is in the middle of the field. Hopefully Alonso can rectify that this year.

If McKelvin plays well this year, it's a good deal. Kick return abilities aside, he's really being paid to cover receivers, and if he is still struggling, then it's time to replace him.

LOL

Restated, what, if the 6th time's the charm ... ?

You hopeful of that? You seem to give it a realistic chance.

Others would have said that he's had his time to prove that he can play well at CB.

Edited by TaskersGhost

deal for McLovin was like a chris kelsay special. maybe not quite that bad,

ok

LOL

Restated, what, if the 6th time's the charm ... ?

You hopeful of that? You seem to give it a realistic chance.

Others would have said that he's had his time to prove that he can play well at CB.

further back in this thread you're point was addressed. McKelvin wouldn't be the first busted first round CB that Pettine turned around.