EJ not ruled out for wk 1, Tuel competing for starting spot

At this stage of his career, Tuel should be happy if he lands a spot on the roster. He's simply not ready to compete for anything beyond that.

EXACTLY... how often do UDFA even MAKE a roster??? Normally they are just camp arms..

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marrone's handling of the Manuel injury is further evidence of something truly new and different at OBD. Severity of EJ's injury aside (did anyone count how many times Marrone said "minor"?), not giving Belichick and the Pats* any further film of EJ on the field prior to September 8 is genius.

Let's face it -- Marrone isn't catering to the media and doesn't care if they do or don't know what he's thinking. He is beholden to his staff and these players, and everyone wearing an official Bills logo in that building knows EJ has already won the starting job.

Marrone also knows the game against the Pats* is a chance to make a huge statement -- does anyone think he wants to begin his reign with Kevin Kolb behind center?

As shocked and disappointed as I was by the initial news of EJ's injury, all of the reports since have been extraordinarily positive (successful procedure, no crutches, EJ back on campus, etc., etc.).

I believe Marrone is going to quickly gain a reputation as someone not to be underestimated among the head coaching ranks of the NFL.

Some of you may roll your eyes and call this a pollyanna or homer post, but I like what I see.

As for Tuel competing to start -- that's just good media fodder. More realistically, he's competing to make Kolb expendable.

I got the opposite response. I thought Marrone told the media all kinds of information in greater detail, and maybe a direct result of the media hounding him a few weeks ago. Granted, I really like Marrone, and I really like what he said, but he explained his whole thought process and all the things that happened, and when, and I guarantee he doesn't know when EJ will be back yet. It just came out this morning as evidenced just above, that he may ask the doctors if EJ can come back sooner.

Either way, there is a breath of fresh air at OBD and I really like this staff.

if it was an honest mistake, so be it, but you had to know there was more context around that quote.... either you didnt care to find out more, or you omitted it on purpose. either way its a problem that you are arguing conclusions and not including relevant information when forming them. the full quote was in post number 2 of the thread. it wasnt something you had to search for. you have had issues with it a few times now and got upset when people call you a troll, so i took the time to attempt to pass on why you are getting that reaction.

it happens to the best of us sometimes, but its been happening to you a lot and you dont seem to like the reaction it gets.

You say i've done it a few times now. No I haven't. Name a single time. I didn't even intentionally do it this time. I took the exact quote as it was posted on Twitter. Looking back, it was obviously someone looking to get peoples attention and a bunch of retweets. I should have known better. Once the context was shown to me, I didn't say another word.

Many times through history people have been bashed for having different opinions and then they have gone on to revolutionize what they are doing. I am proud of what I believe and what I know. I am unabashed in my view of not thinking teams should ever punt when past either 40 yard line. I'm proud of believing that teams should go for two point conversions every time. I think a team should go for it any time its 4th down and less than 4. I have many other thoughts that aren't popular, but that doesn't mean they are not valid. And I shouldn't have to be called a troll every time I express one.

I may be different but don't go around saying I've done this multiple times. The only thing I'm guilty of is having a different opinion than others and being called a troll for it.

In fact, maybe I should make this my signature so people know what I'm about and stop thinking i'm here to get their goat.

Edited by microscopes

Once the context was shown to me, I didn't say another word.

context was available in the second post of the thread. but you couldnt resist charging in here to say "look at me im right" without reading a word of the discussion that was ongoing. seek the context before sharing your conclusions, if you genuinely want to have people take your conclusions seriously. if not, youll probably continue to get negative reactions.

it seemed you didnt like the reception you were getting, but maybe thats not true and you are enjoying it. this board really isnt terrible about outside the box views if they are standing on good information and logical reason. when they are a result of not even attempting to think things through in the slightest or being controversial just to be controversial, you will get the reactions youve been getting. i dont know for sure which you are doing, but it really doesnt make a huge difference to me at this point. enjoy your experience. ill bow out of this conversation now as no one wants to read us bickering.

I got the opposite response. I thought Marrone told the media all kinds of information in greater detail, and maybe a direct result of the media hounding him a few weeks ago. Granted, I really like Marrone, and I really like what he said, but he explained his whole thought process and all the things that happened, and when, and I guarantee he doesn't know when EJ will be back yet. It just came out this morning as evidenced just above, that he may ask the doctors if EJ can come back sooner.

Either way, there is a breath of fresh air at OBD and I really like this staff.

I think we "sort of" agree. Yes, Marrone went through the whole timeline of discovering the injury in great detail (as you note, probably a result of backlash after the initial Mario fiasco), but I think he is being intentionally vague when it comes to speaking about what exactly was wrong and when he expects EJ to be back. I do think they've already decided EJ is the starter, so they decided to "shut him down" both to allow him extra recovery time while also keeping the Pats* in the dark. Let them watch the slower, more methodical Kolb at the helm next week. I wouldn't be surprised if they give Tuel the entire 4th game.

I'd put $$ on EJ getting a full week of practice before Sep. 8.

context was available in the second post of the thread.

Trust me, after the verbal lashing you've given me, I REALLY wish I saw that post. Trust me.

but you couldnt resist charging in here to say "look at me im right" without reading a word of the discussion that was ongoing. seek the context before sharing your conclusions, if you genuinely want to have people take your conclusions seriously. if not, youll probably continue to get negative reactions.

Fair enough. But by that same logic, you should have read all of my conversation with Kelly after that original post before reaching your conclusion. Because you would have seen that I was corrected and let it go.

it seemed you didnt like the reception you were getting, but maybe thats not true and you are enjoying it. this board really isnt terrible about outside the box views if they are standing on good information and logical reason. when they are a result of not even attempting to think things through in the slightest or being controversial just to be controversial, you will get the reactions youve been getting. i dont know for sure which you are doing, but it really doesnt make a huge difference to me at this point. enjoy your experience. ill bow out of this conversation now as no one wants to read us bickering.

Agreed.

IMO, from a "glass half full" perspective . If you consider Kevin Kolb as our back-up QB which I suspect will be the case fairly early in the season, I think we've got one of the better "back-ups" in this league. In the top 30 percentile is a guess as I really havent researched all the league back-ups. That really puts us in a good position from a back-up QB standpoint. If the pre-season and TC are any indication, injuries seem to be getting more and more common, unfortunately.

So, I still think Kolb was a smart pick up by Marrone. Having a Vet back-up is a good thing if EJ goes down.

I think we "sort of" agree. Yes, Marrone went through the whole timeline of discovering the injury in great detail (as you note, probably a result of backlash after the initial Mario fiasco), but I think he is being intentionally vague when it comes to speaking about what exactly was wrong and when he expects EJ to be back. I do think they've already decided EJ is the starter, so they decided to "shut him down" both to allow him extra recovery time while also keeping the Pats* in the dark. Let them watch the slower, more methodical Kolb at the helm next week. I wouldn't be surprised if they give Tuel the entire 4th game.

I hope you're right about that. I'm also overwhelmed at the number of times the word "Minor" was used, and the coaching staff clearly doesn't seem pressured to start him in any more preseason.

While I think we really ought to see how Kolb handles things this week, unless he really redeems himself after struggling with the Viking's defense, I don't see him winning the starting job outright. He might look good enough to handle things week 1, and if so I wouldn't be worried if Manuel really does need an extra week or two in order to be safe, but I do think that based on the first two PS games and what we've seen in practice, EJ is our guy.

"With E.J. Manuel trying to get over a knee procedure, Kevin Kolb is going to get all the first team reps and will likely start the final two preseason games."

http://www.wgr550.co...-drive/17093948

Thank me.

Curse you. In a single post, you took away the fun we have been having. You, sir, are a Tuel.

But seriously, Kolb getting first team reps is a fact. Him starting the final two preseason games seems to be the writer's speculation.

"With E.J. Manuel trying to get over a knee procedure, Kevin Kolb is going to get all the first team reps and will likely start the final two preseason games."

http://www.wgr550.com/to-bills-drive/17093948

Thank me.

This article strikes me entirely as opinion and speculation. Hamilton could be right, but it sounds just like his hunch as to what's going to happen.

It's the equivalent of the infamous "lower body injury" in hockey.

Edited by ExWNYer

Sanchez has won in New England in the playoffs!

But that was just because of the defense! Kolb was the reason the Cardinals won, or at least, he deserves some credit. But not that Sanchez!

LOL

This (the pro-Kevin Kolb PR machine ramping up) is really depressing.

Edited by TheFunPolice

Sanchez has won in New England in the playoffs!

But that was just because of the defense! Kolb was the reason the Cardinals won, or at least, he deserves some credit. But not that Sanchez!

LOL

This (the pro-Kevin Kolb PR machine ramping up) is really depressing.

Did you watch that game? Kolb had nothing to do with it.

Some people get so down on our Tuel. He's human just like any 1st rounder and he will have his ups and downs as a rookie. Sure being undrafted will most likely mean he won't turn out to be a great one but that doesn't guarantee it won't happen or that he might not turn into a capable backup. Let Tuel sharpen his tools without stating categorically that he's trash. Would the naysayers have tossed Warner to the trash heap without first giving him a better look? He's a Bill and he shows potential, so support him.

Tuel Time!!!

Did you watch that game? Kolb had nothing to do with it.

Yes, I was being sarcastic (Kolb gets credit for beating the Patriots* in New England, but Sanchez is just a bum whose defense carried him)

Either way, I don't have the energy to argue about another mediocre bum at QB. I just want EJ to play.