EJ not ruled out for wk 1, Tuel competing for starting spot

These two news items are each significant enough to have their own topic.

I admire everyone's discipline in not starting new topics but these are both pretty huge news items in the Bills Nation.

Mods merge if you deem necessary.

According to Buffalo Bills.com, EJ Manuel has not been ruled out for the season opener against New England:

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/EJ-surgery-complete-chance-to-be-ready-Week-1/fa0af8f5-883c-46b1-9113-c72e395dd821?campaign=tw_buf_article

According to Buffalo News writer Jay Skurski, Bills Head Coach Doug Marrone says that Jeff Tuel will be given the opportunity to compete for the starting QB position:

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The actual quote from Marrone is this:

At the end of the day, do I really want to say he’s in competition with that? Obviously I do because I want all of our players, not just Jeff, to understand that no matter where they may stand on the depth chart, they’re fighting for the position to be a starter. I don’t want our players to think Hey I’m fighting for this position, hes the starter, maybe I could be number two or three. My mind says once the player has limited himself to that he’s not going to develop as far as he can. So to answer your question now, yes I want him to compete to be the starting quarterback, that’s what is going to make him the best and then we’ll evaluate if it’s good enough for us to win with and where he ranks among that position, not just at the quarterback position, but also the roster.

It's coach speak... Talking up his guys, not just Jeff. He wants all his guys to think they are starters.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

These two news items are each significant enough to have their own topic.

I admire everyone's discipline in not starting new topics but these are both pretty huge news items in the Bills Nation.

Mods merge if you deem necessary.

According to Buffalo Bills.com, EJ Manuel has not been ruled out for the season opener against New England:

http://www.buffalobi...=tw_buf_article

According to Buffalo News writer Jay Skurski, Bills Head Coach Doug Marrone says that Jeff Tuel will be given the opportunity to compete for the starting QB position:

https://twitter.com/...106439899316225

Against Kolb IMO he should be given the opportunity to compete. Kolb is NOT looking good.

Anyone know who the death in Kolb's family was?

The actual quote from Marrone is this:

It's coach speak... Talking up his guys, not just Jeff. He wants all his guys to think they are starters.

I guess to what degree he'll be allowed to compete for the job will be shown by how many snaps he takes with the first teamers, both in practice and in games.

Against Kolb IMO he should be given the opportunity to compete. Kolb is NOT looking good.

Anyone know who the death in Kolb's family was?

One of his grandmothers.

Hmm so he will play with the ones? Where is the follow up question?

That was the logical follow up.

Tha is for that. Sounds like Marrone isn't too worried about EJs health here. Sounds like as I've stated in other threads. As long as EJ comes back quickly (no reason to think otherwise), and looks good for the week leading up to the Pats.

And as long as Kolb looks like dog crap (very likely)

Then EJ should at least be considered for the opener.

A few IFs. But definite possibilities

I guess to what degree he'll be allowed to compete for the job will be shown by how many snaps he takes with the first teamers, both in practice and in games.

That'll tell the most

Press conference notes... If you want to read

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/Doug-Marrone-I-really-view-this-procedure-as-minor/8e2a3db7-d131-4743-bf81-e44e3991b0eb?campaign=tw_buf_article

That was the logical follow up.

So according to the transcript of the presser, Marrone's comments on Tuel was the final quote so there was no opportunity for the media to ask a follow up.

That'll tell the most

Press conference notes... If you want to read

http://www.buffalobi...=tw_buf_article

Thanks Wayne.

I like how Marrone is handling these situations.

Hmmm who should we start against the Pats. The QB that beat them at Foxboro last year or the UDFA who looked bad against camp fodder last week???

From what I remember of the highlights and also in looking at the stats, it seemed more like Arizona's D was responsible for the W, although Kolb has to be given some credit, too.

This is a tough decision for Marrone...I'm going to be very interested in how he handles the reps this week because...traditionally...week #3 of preseason is the trial run...Starters play more than any other preseason game...Most of the time for at least the 1st drive of the 2nd half...On one hand you want to give your potential starting QB a lot of reps should Manuel's rehab cost him week #1...On the other hand I think if it really was a competition between Tuel and Kolb, it would be a dead heat...And I'm guessing Hackett and Marrone would LOVE to see how Tuel performs with the starters against some real NFL starting competition...

Should be interesting if nothing else... B-)

Just to play Devil's advocate, I think Kolb needs another game to determine who is No. 1 and who is No. 2. He's only played one game. And he's had SOME success, including taking the Cards to 4-0.

And he was injured. Also, frankly, Kolb has gotten the **** kicked out of him from playing behind HORRIBLE lines in Philly and Arizona. The happy feet might be mental from that, although obviously he will have to correct it ASAP. Manuel does not have that baggage.

Just a note. I also think Ej will be starting, deservingly, the first week he is healthy, which I hope is Week 1.

Hmmm who should we start against the Pats. The QB that beat them at Foxboro last year or the UDFA who looked bad against camp fodder last week???

At face value that may seem like an obvious decision...But I don't think it's nearly that obvious with the Bills coaching staff...I think Tuel has caught on to this offense quicker than Kolb has...Partly due to the fact that Kolb missed significant time...Plus it's not like Kolb has necessarily lit the NFL on fire during his career...No question Tuel is an extreme underdog in this fight...But I think he should be given a look with the 1's because you never know until you know... B-)

Just to play Devil's advocate, I think Kolb needs another game to determine who is No. 1 and who is No. 2. He's only played one game. And he's had SOME success, including taking the Cards to 4-0.

And he was injured. Also, frankly, Kolb has gotten the **** kicked out of him from playing behind HORRIBLE lines in Philly and Arizona. The happy feet might be mental from that, although obviously he will have to correct it ASAP. Manuel does not have that baggage.

Just a note. I also think Ej will be starting, deservingly, the first week he is healthy, which I hope is Week 1.

Kolb holds the ball to long. Can't blame everything on the Oline every team he goes to.

Further, We need to see Tuel play against starters before even considering naming him the starter for Week 1. It's just talk. Even if Kolb sucks it up next week, he will still be the starter if Manuel is still injured.

There is a big difference between 3rd stringers, a quarter of whom will be cut, and starters.

From what I remember of the highlights and also in looking at the stats, it seemed more like Arizona's D was responsible for the W, although Kolb has to be given some credit, too.

That's just letting the facts get in the way of a good story... ;)

Seriously though Kolb did not play poorly in that game...His QB rating was 82.3 for the game (though he had a low QBR of 30.6)...He did have 2 TD's (one passing one throwing), but only 140 yards while completing 55.6% of his passes...Clearly the big story of the game was Brady's 79 QB rating (and the same 30.6 QBR) at home...Rarely is Brady that ineffective at home, especially when he throws for over 300 yards which he did in that game (316)...What is even more interesting is that NE only had one turnover, a Brady INT in that game to Arizona's 2 TO's...It was just a weird game...Kind of fluky if you ask me...But admittedly no one did... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS