EJ not ruled out for wk 1, Tuel competing for starting spot

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These two news items are each significant enough to have their own topic.

I admire everyone's discipline in not starting new topics but these are both pretty huge news items in the Bills Nation.

Mods merge if you deem necessary.

According to Buffalo Bills.com, EJ Manuel has not been ruled out for the season opener against New England:

http://www.buffalobi...=tw_buf_article

According to Buffalo News writer Jay Skurski, Bills Head Coach Doug Marrone says that Jeff Tuel will be given the opportunity to compete for the starting QB position:

https://twitter.com/...106439899316225

Thank you not burying this in the enormous EJ thread. Contrary to what some may think, not everyone is on the board every day, reads every part of every thread. Now concerning week 1, I would love to see EJ out there BUT if there is any chance of making the injury worse by playing or if he didn't get enough practice time in, I may be in an isalnd here but do not think it is the end of the world to go with Kolb against the Pats. He is not Peyton Manning, but he does have a lot of experience and did beat the Pats last year, in Foxboro. I think he was rusty at the beginning of the Vikings game and seemed to be a it more comfortable toward the end of the half. He will see lots of action these next two games as well. Also, don't forget the Pats D is not the greatest, he will be at home, he will have CJ,Stevie, et al... and hopefully our defense will knock Brady's head off. I also keeo thinking that Game 1 seems like the Superbowl for a lot of Bills fans and that it will determine everything. True that game 1 can set the tone for the season. But how many times have we seen the Bills look like world beaters in Game 1 and then fall flat later. It may be worse to have EJ go out there and, should they lose, it affect him more than a regular game because of the importance put on this game. Maybe better to have Kolb go out and, win or lose, EJ take over the next week, still at home, against Carolina. Unless Kolb sets ther world on fire against the Pats, which I honestly don't think he will, I think the coaching staff knows this is EJ's team.

I saw that entire game. Kolb was bad. They won in spite of him.

I saw it too - again, Kolb is not a top tier QB and did not look amazing in that game - however IIRC, he did not throw any INTs and no matter how you slice it, it is hard to win in Foxboro and he QBd the team to do so.

I admire everyone's discipline in not starting new topics but these are both pretty huge news items in the Bills Nation.

According to Buffalo Bills.com, EJ Manuel has not been ruled out for the season opener against New England:

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/EJ-surgery-complete-chance-to-be-ready-Week-1/fa0af8f5-883c-46b1-9113-c72e395dd821?campaign=tw_buf_article

According to Buffalo News writer Jay Skurski, Bills Head Coach Doug Marrone says that Jeff Tuel will be given the opportunity to compete for the starting QB position:

Funny, I said that if Marrone was serious about this being an open competition then Tuel should be given the opportunity to compete. I was mocked.

Funny, I said that if Marrone was serious about this being an open competition then Tuel should be given the opportunity to compete. I was mocked.

Did you read the actual quote? He says every player at every position is competing for the starting spot, not just Tuel.

It's coach speak.

Edit: According to Marrones actual quote from the press conference, Torell Troupe is in a competition for a starting spot.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

The actual quote from Marrone is this:

It's coach speak... Talking up his guys, not just Jeff. He wants all his guys to think they are starters.

I haven't read all of this yet, but more importantly he wants the Patriots to have no idea who to expect and what to expect.

http://www.buffalobi...=tw_buf_article

https://twitter.com/...106439899316225

San Jose, let me see if I can help you out a little bit. You can rule Manual out for the season opener. He just had an operation TODAY! He needs two weeks MINIMUM to just to heal. Even if he heals that fast, how can they get him in shape and also mentally ready to start the opening game? He's a rookie learning a new system it's not like he's a ten year vet and knows the offense inside and out. I would say it's safe to assume the earliest he would be able to start a game would be the 3rd game of the regular season. Let's be realistic.

San Jose, let me see if I can help you out a little bit. You can rule Manual out for the season opener. He just had an operation TODAY! He needs two weeks MINIMUM to just to heal. Even if he heals that fast, how can they get him in shape and also mentally ready to start the opening game? He's a rookie learning a new system it's not like he's a ten year vet and knows the offense inside and out. I would say it's safe to assume the earliest he would be able to start a game would be the 3rd game of the regular season. Let's be realistic.

Being realistic would be admitting you have zero idea about the extent of the injury, EJ's recuperation, when he will be able to walk, and run, and play with no pain or risk to physical injury, ability to pick up where he left off, etc. I don't expect him to play in week one but there is reason to believe he could be ready. The fact that the team is not looking to sign a new QB pretty much assures you that they think he will be back practicing before week one.

Based on what I've seen, Tuel should start if Manuel doesn't.

@voice of truth. I'm with you all the way but we both know it isn't going to happen. Tuel looked really, really, good, but they won't start him because he's an undrafted rookie free agent. I would start him in a heart beat but you know THEY won't. We're going to have to suffer with Ryan Fitztrajic ll (Kolb). Oh my not another game with a guy who can't hit a wide open receiver. OUCH! Lord have mercy!

Being realistic would be admitting you have zero idea about the extent of the injury, EJ's recuperation, when he will be able to walk, and run, and play with no pain or risk to physical injury, ability to pick up where he left off, etc. I don't expect him to play in week one but there is reason to believe he could be ready. The fact that the team is not looking to sign a new QB pretty much assures you that they think he will be back practicing before week one.

KellyDawg

If you don't expect him to play in week one then why did you even bother posting. You agree with me he won't be starting the first game. So wouldn't you say that is being realistic? What's your point, you know he won't be ready. Did you read your post before you posted it? I said he won't be playing in game one!

Tha is for that. Sounds like Marrone isn't too worried about EJs health here. Sounds like as I've stated in other threads. As long as EJ comes back quickly (no reason to think otherwise), and looks good for the week leading up to the Pats.

And as long as Kolb looks like dog crap (very likely)

Then EJ should at least be considered for the opener.

A few IFs. But definite possibilities

i said in the other thread---I think he is doing this in part to screw with New England and have them guess who will be the QB and thus being forced to be prepared for both.

@voice of truth. I'm with you all the way but we both know it isn't going to happen. Tuel looked really, really, good, but they won't start him because he's an undrafted rookie free agent. I would start him in a heart beat but you know THEY won't. We're going to have to suffer with Ryan Fitztrajic ll (Kolb). Oh my not another game with a guy who can't hit a wide open receiver. OUCH! Lord have mercy!

KellyDawg

If you don't expect him to play in week one then why did you even bother posting. You agree with me he won't be starting the first game. So wouldn't you say that is being realistic? What's your point, you know he won't be ready. Did you read your post before you posted it? I said he won't be playing in game one!

I said I dont expect him to start, which is just a prediction. I do expect him to be ready to start, and fully recovered, but that Marrone will take the safe route, especially against the Pats. I don't know either way, he could be back earlier than expected. You, on the other hand, said it's safe to assume he wouldnt be back until week three. Two weeks, which is the prognostication, is a full week before the season starts. Right now we have no idea. In fact, I would bet that Marrone, Manuel and the trainers have no idea.

I said I dont expect him to start, which is just a prediction. I do expect him to be ready to start, and fully recovered, but that Marrone will take the safe route, especially against the Pats. I don't know either way, he could be back earlier than expected. You, on the other hand, said it's safe to assume he wouldnt be back until week three. Two weeks, which is the prognostication, is a full week before the season starts. Right now we have no idea. In fact, I would bet that Marrone, Manuel and the trainers have no idea.

Well you said one thing that makes sense. Right now Marrone, Manuel and the trainers have no idea. Right now, Nobody except GOD knows DEFINITELY. They will evaluate him again in two weeks and go from there. But I'm telling you from past experience, when these things happen, it is usually longer rather than sooner when they return. I'd ask GOD for the exact date but he disconnected my direct hot line to his office. I think I may have been a bad boy and he revoked my privileges. Smoke one duby and you get punished. Go figure! :doh:

I still think this is getting blown up. Here are some observations:

1) EJ has clearly separated himself to be our starting QB on the depth chart.

2) Starting QBs barely play if at all in the 4th preseason game.

3) EJ had a minor injury that means they will keep him out of the third game coming up, which makes sense with a very minor procedure not being back to practice during the week and in game shape in less than a week.

4) Could EJ play in two weeks if the 4th preseason game if it mattered? Probably. That is the least important game, and any player a little dinged up would normally sit.

5) Has there been any indication that he will not practice next week? I'm not sure on this, but it wouldn't surprise me for him to be riding a stationary bike and in meetings right away, and running around in non-contact sooner than people think, unrelated to the fact that they will be holding him out from two preseason game.

Marrone continued to stress that this was very minor. My conclusion is that he can't play this weekend without it being a risk, so this weekend is what we lose (and not an insignificant thing for a rookie QB), but everything else is unknown and we expect him to jump back in much sooner than the Tuesday before the opener.

EJ is already back at training camp, but he's not participating obviously. And I heard he doesn't need crutches. Both are great signs and tell me the procedure was truly minor, and likely just a joint aspiration.