Byrd signed tender [update: may still want to be traded]

BRAWNDO

I would be more surprised I guess to learn that he didn't get the guarantee from the Bills to not franchise him next year than I would to learn he came in on his own with two weeks to go. That really doesn't amount to much of a threat. I think he would sign right before the season started, seeing if the Bills would cave in the last week.

It's possible that Byrd just told Parker I want to play when he saw how much fun the Bills defense was having, and decided he didn't care

about the franchise tag next year any more, he thought he would play better if given the two weeks.

You have no idea how much I want this to be true. But the cynic in me says otherwise.

GO BILLS!!!

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So......if i remember correctly...

...franchise players cannot negotiate long term deals after July XX...

...it is past July XX ...

...he signed awful early...

Could that mean we could see a long term deal coming? Maybe the numbers were close...maybe I am dreaming...

Whaaa??? No long term deal possible until after the season. :(

Could that mean we could see a long term deal coming? Maybe the numbers were close...maybe I am dreaming...

Yeah, how exactly does this work? Hypothetically, when can they start working on a deal?

As many of us said numerous times, there was no way in hell he was gonna miss any games.

Not at $432,000 per game.

The obvious window seemed to be between the last day of camp and day after game 4 of preseason. He needed time to be ready to play well while minimizing risk. Not ideal for us, but common sense for him.

They cannot officially sign him or discuss long term deal contracts until after the regular season ends. I imagine, although I don't know this, that teams do talk with agents during this time and peripherally discuss long term numbers. Last I read, the Bills and Byrd were about 2 mil a year off in their negotiations. I'm not sure the validity of the report.

They cannot officially sign him or discuss long term deal contracts until after the regular season ends. I imagine, although I don't know this, that teams do talk with agents during this time and peripherally discuss long term numbers. Last I read, the Bills and Byrd were about 2 mil a year off in their negotiations. I'm not sure the validity of the report.

There's no rule against talking as far as I know. With regards to the gap we've seen anywhere from less than 1m off to closer to 2m+

All depends if you believe highest paid safety, or free safety (ie weddle goldson money or polamalu money)

There's no rule against talking as far as I know. With regards to the gap we've seen anywhere from less than 1m off to closer to 2m+

All depends if you believe highest paid safety, or free safety (ie weddle goldson money or polamalu money)

It doesn't really make sense to allow you to negotiate but not sign. At least none I can think of. Here is a good all around article on franchise tenders, specifically as it relates to Byrd, although it doesnt answer our question.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/The-looming-franchise-player-negotiating-deadline.html

Weddle and Goldson were overpaid, period! The only game changing safeties in league today are Reed and Polamalu. Woodson is a notch below.