EJ hurt knee according to BB.com

Just so I'm clear, you guys think that the Bills will name a rookie QB who has played in 3Q total of preseason games, is coming off an injury and hasn't practiced in two+ weeks the starter for week one? Right.

If he's healthy and the best quarterback we have, yes.

The latter is now a foregone conclusion. His health is debatable since NONE of us has good information.

Please explain why he shouldn't be the starter.

Edited by The Big Cat

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The latter is now a foregone conclusion. His health is debatable since NONE of us has good information.

I think EJ should be the starter, but

1) this will slow his development.

2) even though EJ should start week 1, it is reasonable to say the coaches with think Kolb is more "ready" and start Kolb instead.

3) the injury could have a setback or he might not be healthy enough for week 1, which isn't as much of a concern

All in all, EJ should start, but this injury does play a part in this, and the reasons I listed above are what is bothering most people. If all goes well, EJ will start week 1. But this injury creates some doubt, just because we don't know the criteria of these coaches. If they go by talent, EJ. But if they think Kolb knows the system better, and thats more important to them, they might go with Kolb

I think people are over reacting though. If Kolb starts for us, I can't imagine it being more than 2 games

Randy Moss on NFL Network (edit- different Randy Moss, a reporter) reported that Marrone was given confidence by the doctors prior to the procedure that Manuel would likely be ready to practice in the week leading up to opening day. He went on to say that as Marrone was driving in Saturday morning he was debating whether he'd seen enough to announce the starting quarterback (did not specify who that was, but it may be obvious).

This aired right after the Bills broadcast ended on an NFL Network Now update

Edited by J-Gun Boone

Randy Moss on NFL Network reported that Marrone was given confidence by the doctors prior to the procedure that Manuel would likely be ready to practice in the week leading up to opening day. He went on to say that as Marrone was driving in Saturday morning he was debating whether he'd seen enough to announce the starting quarterback (did not specify who that was, but it may be obvious).

RANDY MOSS broke this story? Now I've seen everything. Has Sapp weighed in yet??

Randy Moss on NFL Network reported that Marrone was given confidence by the doctors prior to the procedure that Manuel would likely be ready to practice in the week leading up to opening day. He went on to say that as Marrone was driving in Saturday morning he was debating whether he'd seen enough to announce the starting quarterback (did not specify who that was, but it may be obvious).

RANDY MOSS broke this story? Now I've seen everything. Has Sapp weighed in yet??

Any reports from TO or Chad?

Any chance in the world all the vagueness re: the extent/nature of the injury/procedure is partly some Belichickian gamesmanship leading up to week one, or am I just wearing my tinfoil hat too tightly again?

Bisonbrigade floated that theory. While EJ's injury is obviously legit, I think there is definitely a component of smoke and mirrors going on here.

A different Randy Moss, a sports journalist.

http://en.m.wikipedi...sports_reporter)

Ah, you got us.

It's interesting that he's kept steadfast to his name instead of going the "Randall Moss" route.

Any chance in the world all the vagueness re: the extent/nature of the injury/procedure is partly some Belichickian gamesmanship leading up to week one, or am I just wearing my tinfoil hat too tightly again?

This definitely crossed my mind. It gives the coaches the chance to really play up the "Kolb or EJ? Who knows" thing prior to Game 1 which will force the Pats to prepare for two pretty different QBs, not to mention an offense they haven't seen. Every little bit helps, and I am pretty sure Marrone has though about that too.

How about I let Coach Marrone explain it to you:

"The problem I have is again a lot of it is how he comes back and again there goes the variable thing, when he comes back, did he miss time? No one ever really start off where they left off."

In other words, he will need time after he returns to get back into form. So if he can't practice until the week of the Pats game then how can he possibly be ready by game time?

Ok, can I be serious here for a second and give my take on this. The reason I laughed at this thread is that many of you are freaking out about this injury, that this injury is going to ruin this year or at the least hurt it. Let's think about this. Do you really think that EJ was going to come out and turn this team around and finally take them to the promised land? Maybe in a couple of years but probably not this year. Not many rookie QBs have done that. It will most likely have him a bit shakey in his first couple of starts. Uhhhh, dude is going to be shakey in his first couple of starts anyway. First couple of starts in what could end up being over 100 in his career. Stop placing all your hopes and dreams on one person. How many years in a row has that happened with this team? It's a long season. So what if he doesn't start week one. So what if he starts week two and three and is a bit shakey. That's why I said I'm glad I'm no longer emotionally tied to this team. Do I root for them? Hell yeah, but I don't let them determine my emotional state come Monday morning.

I remember getting lamb basted on here for saying I was going to spend a Sunday with my wife and son instead of watching the Bills game. I was called every name in the book and told that I wasn't a "real fan." This was a couple years ago and I still get a chuckle out of it.

Just so I'm clear, you guys think that the Bills will name a rookie QB who has played in 3Q total of preseason games, is coming off an injury and hasn't practiced in two+ weeks the starter for week one? Right.

No. My statement above says if he practices, I believe he will start - even if he doesn't play the quarter of football he normally would have. If he does not practice for the next two weeks, then I think Kolb will start.

I remember getting lamb basted on here for saying I was going to spend a Sunday with my wife and son instead of watching the Bills game. I was called every name in the book and told that I wasn't a "real fan." This was a couple years ago and I still get a chuckle out of it.

Mmmmmm basted lamb.

I love now that my Sundays are not dedicated to football.

because even though he only has 1 week of practice for the Pats game he's still a better QB than Kolb is??

I don't get why it's so hard for this to be accepted.... If he's healthy and gives you the best chance to win, play him!!!! It would mean that EJ with less experience is better then Kolb whom is more experienced.... After all, isn't that what's happened to this point anyways?