Rogers after two practice games

Beerball

I have never heard of that. Intentionally downplaying a player just to "sneak" into practice squad.

Practice squads are announced anyway. So as a coach/scout/manager/ you are aware of these things.

This was done with Easley last year. He didnt play much and wasnt thrown to when he played. Was cut and put on the PS.

Rogers was one of the top 5 undrafted players to be signed by a team so many teams are familiar with him. He wont clear waivers to get on the PS. a team will take a shot and claim him. He is low 1st round/mid 2nd round talent.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First ... I was thrilled we signed him because I thought he had lots of upside. However, it seems that his attitude towards practice and in game situations may be his undoing (If you haven't listened to the Bills video of Alex Carrington in the game versus Indy give a listen to his comments after the fumble that are directed at Rogers http://www.buffalobills.com/media-center/videos/Bills_Focus_Alex_Carrington_Wired_For_Sound/6666473d-a479-47fc-8094-b35a33578cb0). I doubt that coaches would underplay someone to hide him but right now the PS appears to be where he is headed because the other wideouts are clearly shining. I would hate to lose him to another team where with enough time he might be a star. Two weeks to go ... so let's see if he can turn it around! GO BILLS!!! What an incredible group of receivers we have and a QB in EJ who can get them the ball anywhere!

No. You can not sneak him. He will either be on the Bills active roster or on another team's who needs a WR so bad....NE? He goes to NE and becomes Brady's golden boy for the next 5 years. They set single season records for yards and touchdowns.

OR maybe there is a reason why Rogers dropped to an Undrafted Free Agent. Maybe the same intellect which caused him to get kicked out of Tenn. is hampering him from picking up the play book and/or his maturity level is not where it needs to be.

Honestly it has to be one or the other. Rogers has the talent, it must be attitude or intelligence. There is no other reason to not be playing him.

I don't see how they could possibly let Rogers be exposed by putting him on the PS. I'd guess they know what he can do and they'll put him on the 53 and put guys like Kaufmann and even Hogan on the PS, and if Da'Rick just doesn't seem to get it or fails a drug test they'll drop him to the PS or cut him and bring Hogan and Kaufmann up in his place. It's more likely Hogan and Kaufmann won't be stolen from our PS over Rogers, although both those guys are playing damn well.

IMO Hogan has already made the team.

If the Bills are worried about exposing him to waivers perhaps he can "pull a hammy" in the last preseason game and be placed on short term IR. He can begin practicing with the team during the regular season and brought in back to the regular roster.

I just don't think Marrone and Co. will put up with a TO or OC type of diva. They'd cut him before that and reward players like Hogan, Kaufmann, Sampson, etc

not only do I agree with you here.

I'd like to add another point. It's been beaten to death but its my opinion and im sticking to it. Jairus Byrd is not here while the camp bullets and pre season bullets are flying. If he shows up a week anytime AFTER the 3rd ore season game I think he (if he's not traded) sits for as long as Marrone feels like making him sit. In other words, unless there's an injury to one of the safeties or our defensive backfield looks like Swiss cheese, then I think Byrd sits. If Williams and the young kids in Searcy, Meeks, and whoever they have back there continue to impress, then I think Byrd really suffers this season in the bench.

There's being in shape, and then being in football shape and Byrd is not in football shape. Then on top of it, as I can tell there's a whole new level of football shape that Marrone and Pettine have these guys in and he's definitely not in that shape. Then there's always the new coordinator, new schemes, new playbooks, new team mates, new verbiage to deal with and Jairus is looking more and more like he won't be playing for a while.

Still hoping he comes back soon. Hopefully this week to get him 2 pre season games, but not counting on it at this point.

IMO Hogan has already made the team.

If the Bills are worried about exposing him to waivers perhaps he can "pull a hammy" in the last preseason game and be placed on short term IR. He can begin practicing with the team during the regular season and brought in back to the regular roster.

I hope his "hammy" keeps him out until next year. Lol.

My guess is Da'Rick just isn't up to speed, mentally, on this system. He doesn't have the luxury of a huddle where he can get some help from teammates. He has to know the system 100% because of the no huddle. Maybe he just is quite there yet.

His physical skill set is unquestioned. For that reason alone I'd keep him. IR would be perfect.

There's no sneaking him anywhere. Teams are aware of his talent. He isn't a hidden gem, he's a troubled potential star.

I also don't think Rodgers would be thrilled by that and would likely want to find a team to play with the big boys.

I totally agree with this take...But unless the Bills change the way they've been handling him depth-chart-wise, I'm going to be thinking they are more inclined to at least attempt to sneak him down to the PS...I don't think it will work either...And to be honest I think it would be a mistake...But it's sure starting to look like that's what they have in mind...Because clearly they are not trying to feature him thus far... B-)

Just keep him out of New England. Thats all I ask !

Agree with OP. I think putting him on the PS is a good idea assuming he struggles to get up to speed. I, like most of you guys think he has potential and would be worth the risk of keeping on the roster if at all possible.

I sense its taking him longer to learn the offense than some of the others. Of course this is just speculation on my part.

I'm not sure, sometime I have difficulty figuring out what he means.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

In other words, unless there's an injury to one of the safeties or our defensive backfield looks like Swiss cheese, then I think Byrd sits. If Williams and the young kids in Searcy, Meeks, and whoever they have back there continue to impress, then I think Byrd really suffers this season in the bench.

There's being in shape, and then being in football shape and Byrd is not in football shape. Then on top of it, as I can tell there's a whole new level of football shape that Marrone and Pettine have these guys in and he's definitely not in that shape. Then there's always the new coordinator, new schemes, new playbooks, new team mates, new verbiage to deal with and Jairus is looking more and more like he won't be playing for a while.

Not to hijack the thread talking about Byrd but great post. Especially the bolded.

I asked before weeks ago rhetorically and I'll ask again here:

I wonder if the buzz and enthusiasm surrounding the Bills preseason might have some effect on Byrd's strategy on when to report?

one of the receivers- most likely Rogers- will get a mysterious injury before the last cut and be placed on IR

this way they keep him to learn/mature and he is not exposed to the waiver wire

Ya think daaaa Rick is just gonna agree to fake injury because he has some kind of loyalty to buffalo? I've thought about the theory of a staff not calling a players number to keep them off film, its interesting but I don't think it will work with him, too much hype. With a guy like easly it may have worked but that ship has sailed, he's looked great.

Yeah, I know, there is no sneaking involved because of his background, but that's either what the team is trying to do, or he doesn't deserve the game reps.

Winner winner Chicken dinner.

This guy is a talented but undisciplined player. He has a lot to learn. He's definitely shown flashes in practice from what folks here and the media have said

Smart money is, if he's not getting the reps it's because the guys who are out there are ahead of him in the coaches' minds.

BeerBall, my good friend, you may be right. On one hand with as many calls as Rogers got following the draft, it's clear that virtually the entire league is interested in him. On the other hand, all of those teams were willing to bring him to camp and kick the tires. One of those teams would have to step up and cut one of their 53 to pluck him off the PS. Now YE OLE suspects that some team probably would, but it's definitely a higher level of commitment they would have to make to him, essentially sight unseen.

You only have so long to "get it" in the NFL early is a word that doesn't work.

When your talented it certainly still works in the nfl - problem for us is weighing whether he's a project worth investing in at the expense of someone else. Someone is likely to give him another shot if we pass and likely someone else after that.

BeerBall, my good friend, you may be right. On one hand with as many calls as Rogers got following the draft, it's clear that virtually the entire league is interested in him. On the other hand, all of those teams were willing to bring him to camp and kick the tires. One of those teams would have to step up and cut one of their 53 to pluck him off the PS. Now YE OLE suspects that some team probably would, but it's definitely a higher level of commitment they would have to make to him, essentially sight unseen.

No, he could just say screw buffalo and not sign on with our practice squad after we cut him.... And sign literally anywhere at any level. Once he joins our practice squad what you said is true.

Edited by NoSaint

Two things.

1st, I think he's like "I'm Tall" Shawn Bradley in that he has significant natural talent, but isn't dedicated to improving his skills in his craft (yet) to deserve game reps.

2nd, This business about "sneaking a player onto the Practice Squad" is horseshit. Players are cut and can't be put on the Practice Squad until AFTER they've cleared waivers - which is a 24 hour process. AFTER EVERY TEAM in the league gets a chance at picking up a player that is cut THEN teams can begin to assemble their Practice Squad. So don't think they just name their final roster and their PS players, and the rest are cut. It doesn't work that way. The PS gets assembled 24 hours after the final cuts - league wide.

Two things.

1st, I think he's like "I'm Tall" Shawn Bradley in that he has significant natural talent, but isn't dedicated to improving his skills in his craft (yet) to deserve game reps.

2nd, This business about "sneaking a player onto the Practice Squad" is horseshit. Players are cut and can't be put on the Practice Squad until AFTER they've cleared waivers - which is a 24 hour process. AFTER EVERY TEAM in the league gets a chance at picking up a player that is cut THEN teams can begin to assemble their Practice Squad. So don't think they just name their final roster and their PS players, and the rest are cut. It doesn't work that way. The PS gets assembled 24 hours after the final cuts - league wide.

I'm pretty sure most folks here understand the waiver process behind the PS...It's called "sneaking" because some players are clearly under-the-radar-types with real talent...So teams will play them less in games with the hope that the other 31 will lay off due to a lack of film...

But sure...There's no technical way to avoid the waiver process...I have to believe most Bills Fans know that...I hope they do anyway... B-)

I'm thinking that the Bills are smart enough to not expose Rogers to waivers. The others are getting more game snaps because the coaches are looking for separation among the others and maybe showcasing them for potential trades.

Wow, showcasing for potential trades?! Someone out there is gonna give us something for Hogan or Kaufman?! Hahaha!

Smart not to expose Rogers?! The guy is an undrafted player with character issues and hasn't performed in games. He's getting cut, deal with it. Wow, people have talked about the myth and legend of Easley over the years, but this Da'Rick guys fanboys takes the cake!