Jerry Hughes

had we kept Shepp, he would be on the street by now. Colts clearly felt the same way about Hughes. The trade enabled both men to keep a job for at least one more year. If Hughes does not step up, maybe his last year. Not sure how Shep is doing.

I saw Lil' Donte got an INT the other day!

He did,, and it was a very athletic one too. The only problem is that he dropped one basically thrown right

to him the series before.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's up with this dude? Is he doing anything or has he been MIA. I have watched the better part of all three games,

did not see much of him! Thought, based on preseason performance that we would have seen more from this guy!

He plays enough to get one offsides penalty per game.

He is playing against first string tackles now and so far he is not doing much of anything.

He gets a little bit of pressure on the pocket. I see him overpursue on the run plays quite often which is very bad.

Looks like a journeyman type player.

He plays enough to get one offsides penalty per game.

He is playing against first string tackles now and so far he is not doing much of anything.

He gets a little bit of pressure on the pocket. I see him overpursue on the run plays quite often which is very bad.

Looks like a journeyman type player.

This! I notice Hughes only when there's a neutral zone infraction or offsides on defense. I think he did ok against the Pats but since then doesn't look like much of an upgrade over Shep...

We really need Bradham to start shining to help Kiko out a bit.

Seems like we find a solid MLB and then all the other LB's are just nowhere to be found. That's the way it is with this team. They can't ALL shine together.

• 1 month later...

Jerry Hughes has done well for himself lately as he has gotten more reps. He is playing disciplined with his assignments and allow others to make plays instead of reaching or peeking. has natural talent and will develop nicely under Pettine. Could we upgrade the position ? Sure , but i will give him the rest of the season and part of next.

The LBs still need work besides Lawson and Alonso , but Hughes is working hard and smart.

i mean besides those nuisance infractions :thumbsup:

6 sacks, 1 pass defended, 1 forced fumble. I think he has shown something. Yes, he has a problem with penalties, but in general our team has a problem with penalties. Could it be a coaching problem that we have so many? Or is it just the Big P's philosophy that playing so aggressive and getting the stats makes the penalties acceptable?

That was a great trade. He gets around the edge really well. It's fun watching him.

Right? I am not sure what the deal was with him in Indianapolis, but it is hard to believe that the Colts made this trade...the guy has been very solid...from everything I have read about Sheppard in Indy (admittedly, not much) it sounds like he is somebody who may not be on the roster very long. Score + for our front office....they get things right sometimes.

EDIT: Hadn't seen the article from the Buffalo News today, about Hughes, when I made this post. It seems, from what Whaley is saying, the Colts actually contacted the Bills about making a trade for Sheppard...when the Bills asked what they would give in return, they didn't want to trade draft picks, but offered Hughes. Whaley said it was a "no brainer".

6 sacks, 1 pass defended, 1 forced fumble. I think he has shown something. Yes, he has a problem with penalties, but in general our team has a problem with penalties. Could it be a coaching problem that we have so many? Or is it just the Big P's philosophy that playing so aggressive and getting the stats makes the penalties acceptable?

Yes, the penalty thing is very frustrating...as good a game as Marcell Darues had against the Steelers last week, his penalty on the field goal attempt could be viewed as a back-breaker for the Bills. At that point, assuming the field goal was good, we would have only been down by 10, not 14. Obviously, the Bills offense wasn't up to the task last Sunday, but that 4 point swing goes a long way toward dictating play calling late in the game.

Edited by Buftex

Yes, the penalty thing is very frustrating...as good a game as Marcell Darues had against the Steelers last week, his penalty on the field goal attempt could be viewed as a back-breaker for the Bills. At that point, assuming the field goal was good, we would have only been down by 10, not 14. Obviously, the Bills offense wasn't up to the task last Sunday, but that 4 point swing goes a long way toward dictating play calling late in the game.

That game was over as soon as they decided to have a rookie QB who hadn't played in a month throw horizontally repeatedly in important down and distances on a windy day against a team who prides itself on running confusing fire zone defenses...so basically Wednesday.

6 sacks so far this season......5 1/2 over the last 6 games......4 over the last 3 games.

This is only good for the Bills. :thumbsup:

+1. We are definitely getting production from this guy. Alex Carrington may find it hard to re-sign back here next off season.

Dion Jordan < Jerry Hughes.

Five miles of **** beneath them Aaron Maybin says hey

Sacrilege! According to this board high picks (even third round receivers) need a couple of seasons to develop and you need to be patient. Don't judge players who have not played at least 16 games or more. After all, his name fits the pattern EJ, TJ and DJ.

Sacrilege! According to this board high picks (even third round receivers) need a couple of seasons to develop and you need to be patient. Don't judge players who have not played at least 16 games or more. After all, his name fits the pattern EJ, TJ and DJ.

I am not putting a fork in Jordan. I have in Maybin. He could still be a role player but would be very limited in getting 4-5 snaps a game. Hughes is still developing but it is funny to me that Hughes is more of an impact player now then Jordan. Of course, that doesn't surprise me. Rookies don't come in and blow things up like people tend to believe. How many of the first 32 picks are lighting it up? Few do it.

That was a great trade. He gets around the edge really well. It's fun watching him.

Yeah I always thought Sheppard was lousy with very little chance of improvement so this trade had nothing but positive potential for Buffalo and it looks like money for nothin now.

Hughes is basically providing what Mark Anderson was supposed to: consistent weakside pressure when teams slide protection toward Mario. I think playing opposite of Mario is the absolute perfect situation for Hughes. Robert Mathis is a great pass rusher but Mario has a different kind of everydown impact.

It will be interesting to see if Hughes can get tougher against the run/setting the edge. I feel like he isn't stout enough to pull that off, but he will certainly have motivation to take his game to another level next season. That is the difference between $5M and $10M+ edge rushers in FA.

BTW, for all the people who want to point to this move as a difference between Buddy and Whaley...we heard Whaley say Indy offered him Hughes..and I recall hearing that Buddy really liked Hughes coming into the draft. Of course, Whaley was Buddy's top personnel man so that opinion, like most, was probably heavily influenced by Whaley's take. The difference between Buddy and Whaley will come down to one thing.....will Whaley get a quarterback. I think otherwise we will see similar results because Whaley was influencing decisions for as long as he has been here.

If the Bills find a way to score some points next year and force teams to throw the ball more, Hughes could have a great walk-year.

Edited by BADOLBEELZ