the QB competition is over - EJ is your winner

papazoid

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The knock on Manuel coming into the draft was that he was a raw prospect who would take years of grooming. It's because of this that a guy with his smarts, athleticism, arm strength and size wasn't viewed unanimously as the top QB in the draft and a top 5 pick. From what we've seen so far, this kid is far from raw. He looks comfortable and in command at all times. He doesn't panic, he runs the offense quickly and gets the ball out of his hands to his WRs on time and in placers where they can easily make the reception.

Sure it's "only pre-season" but I wonder if scouts and GMs around the NFL are re-thinking their position on him. If he's developed to the point he's at by pre-season game #2 then the sky's the limit for this kid.

I usually temper my enthusiasm for the coming season but Manuel has me excited as hell (as does the D.)

Edited by MDH

The knock on Manuel coming into the draft was that he was a raw prospect who would take years of grooming. It's because of this that a guy with his smarts, athleticism, arm strength and size wasn't viewed unanimously as the top QB in the draft and a top 5 pick. From what we've seen so far, this kid is far from raw. He looks comfortable and in command at all times. He doesn't panic, he runs the offense quickly and gets the ball out of his hands to his WRs on time and in placers where they can easily make the reception.

Sure it's "only pre-season" but I wonder if scouts and GMs around the NFL are re-thinking their position on him. If he's developed to the point he's at by pre-season game #2 then the sky's the limit for this kid.

I usually temper my enthusiasm for the coming season but Manuel has me excited as hell (as does the D.)

The interview that John Murphy did with EJ's high school coach was very telling. This guy was talking about how he was determined to make sure EJ developed as a passer first and how he was shaped from a young age to grow into a well-rounded QB. IIRC, EJ had gone back home to hang out with this coach shortly after the draft and I believe he has been a friend of the Manuel family for many years. A lot of the criticism of EJ during his time at FSU stemmed from what was apparently a very complicated offensive system. It just seems like Hackett's approach may be like water and EJ is the fish. I can't wait to see how far and how fast this dude can swim, baby!!

Glad we signed Kolbpatrick in the OS... EJ needed someone to embarass on his way to becoming the starter. It was a good signing. -Now it'll be an even better CUT!

LOL... Kolbpatrick.. that is great. but fitz was better than Kolb. Fitz had no fear and fired away. Kolb has the happy feet out there and cannot deliver the ball

I agree, I think EJ will (and should) be named the starter.

It seems the NFL would also like to see the rookie start. This video shows only Kolb incompletions/interception, followed by Manuel's plays (which were almost entirely good): http://www.nfl.com/v...nuel-highlights

Kind of funny they didn't include any of Kolb's completions.

That's all I need to see. Done deal for EJ. Good for him.

I think the reason that the competition is over (barring some kind of crazy reversal in the next game) is that EJ has been better at what they brought in a veteran to do. He has had the plays called quicker, made better progressions, made good decisions (even in throwing the ball away), and taken what the defense has given him. He, like Kolb has had some bad throws. His receiver bailed him out at least once....but he was throwing to the open receivers which gave them space to make those adjustments.

So, Manuel just looks better in precisely the areas where he is supposed to struggle and for which Kolb provides insurance....which makes Kolb a bit superfluous....though only carrying two rookie quarterbacks seems a bit scary and very ballsy.

Wrong like usual? You must be thinking of someone else. I am in no way a Tuel supporter. He could get cut for all I care.

EJ did very little against 1st stringers. His 80+ yard 2 minute drive in game 1 was against 3rd stringers.

For starters, it was EJ's first game. Second of all, he didn't have Stevie or Chandler, and was throwing to very inexperienced receivers. Third of all, his time against the Colts' starters consisted of 5 running plays and 2 pass plays, one being an incompletion to Woods and the other a poorly-executed screen to Fred Jackson.

I'd love to see EJ gets the nod Tuesday, all the first string reps this week, play the first half, and first series of second half. Put in Tuel for the remainder of the third, and Kolb only in the 4th.

The last week split the first half with Tuel, and the 2nd half with Kolb. The upside even with the dead money is if we take and develop Tuel, realize Kolb is washed up, then we save a little money for cap.

We use the money we have and will have from these moves and lock up byrd, and hopefully early mid year Spiller and Woods. We have over 20 million left and gain I think 1.5 mil on Kolb release. He's done.

Here's my thoughts 2 games into preseason. i brought this up in the game day thread, let me know if you think it makes sense...

Kolb got his chance yesterday and started out poorly but collected himself as time went on. Granted he has missed time but he's a veteran and that shouldn't be an excuse for him. What I feel is an excuse is this...Kolb has been in the league and has been subjected to your 'normal' offensive schemes. He comes in this year and his first game he runs 41 plays in the first half, extrapolate out to a full game and that is maybe 80 plays a game. that is a pace that a veteran QB probably isn't used to. Manuel & Tuel have no pro game point of reference and are able to adapt easier than Kolb. It can't be an easy for a veteran to learn a new pace.

I would be willing to give Kolb another week of practice and another start next week against Washington. We know EJ & Tuel can play in this fast pace offense, we need to now know if Kolb can get accustomed to it. I hate making excuses but unless we are willing to go into the season with 2 rookie QB's as our only QB's on the roster and keep Brad Smith as WR/3rd QB, I say Kolb needs one more audition. If its the same, cut bait...

Either way, I am really stoked about this season and can't wait for real games

Here's my thoughts 2 games into preseason. i brought this up in the game day thread, let me know if you think it makes sense...

Kolb got his chance yesterday and started out poorly but collected himself as time went on. Granted he has missed time but he's a veteran and that shouldn't be an excuse for him. What I feel is an excuse is this...Kolb has been in the league and has been subjected to your 'normal' offensive schemes. He comes in this year and his first game he runs 41 plays in the first half, extrapolate out to a full game and that is maybe 80 plays a game. that is a pace that a veteran QB probably isn't used to. Manuel & Tuel have no pro game point of reference and are able to adapt easier than Kolb. It can't be an easy for a veteran to learn a new pace.

I would be willing to give Kolb another week of practice and another start next week against Washington. We know EJ & Tuel can play in this fast pace offense, we need to now know if Kolb can get accustomed to it. I hate making excuses but unless we are willing to go into the season with 2 rookie QB's as our only QB's on the roster and keep Brad Smith as WR/3rd QB, I say Kolb needs one more audition. If its the same, cut bait...

well said Pooj. I'm all for handing EJ the keys to the Lamborghini at this point because we know he can do it. He's proving that. What we don't know because he's missed a game and a weeks of practices is if Kolb can acclimate himself. I want EJ to start I believe he's earned that right, at this point, take one last look at Kolb to see if he can win the job. Look like a veteran and get it done after a full week thinking he's the #1. At this point IMO it's EJs job to lose.

I don't think you realize how important the 3rd preseason game is. That game is is the dress rehearsal for the regular season. The Bills will name Manuel the starter very shortly because they know he will be playing into the third quarter. Which is what most starters do throughout the league.

Also, the locker room is probably already 100% behind Manuel. The coach would lose all credibility with the team if he started Kolb, so that's another reason it won't happen.

EJ Manuel is ready. That doesn't mean he's ready enough to beat the Pats (so what, not a big deal in the grand scheme of things), but he's clearly ready to be the starter.

I don't think you realize how important the 3rd preseason game is. That game is is the dress rehearsal for the regular season. The Bills will name Manuel the starter very shortly because they know he will be playing into the third quarter. Which is what most starters do throughout the league.

Also, the locker room is probably already 100% behind Manuel. The coach would lose all credibility with the team if he started Kolb, so that's another reason it won't happen.

That's a strong argument, but not a persuasive one. We really do not know what goes on behind closed doors.

I think you're probably right, but the team could as easily feel that they would be in better hands with a vet. More likely the team is impressed enough with what they see in practice and in the film room to trust EJ.

Kolb missed badly on many throws. I was shocked by how poorly he played. I was expecting so much more. I reject the notion that he was rusty. he essentially got to rest his arm for one week after having thrown balls for months during camp and OTA's. he had plenty of time this week to get ready.

That's a strong argument, but not a persuasive one. We really do not know what goes on behind closed doors.

I think you're probably right, but the team could as easily feel that they would be in better hands with a vet. More likely the team is impressed enough with what they see in practice and in the film room to trust EJ.

After last night I highly doubt that's the case. I really think that Marrone's going to be naming Manuel as the starter very soon and the team, fans and media will move on from the Bills' "QB competition" talk.

After last night I highly doubt that's the case. I really think that Marrone's going to be naming Manuel as the starter very soon and the team, fans and media will move on from the Bills' "QB competition" talk.

I don't necessarily disagree, I just hesitate to take the leap of knowing what's going on in the locker room.

Always nice to see your QB playing well. But as was said with Tuel last week, it's tough to give too much credence when he was facing 3rd stringers.

Either way, he should be the starter. Kolb should have never been signed.

On Kolb signing: horseradish. No one knew how draft day would fall out and how quickly EJ would pick up the offense/adapt to the pro game. On the other hand, we did expect more of him. He was excused due to a death in the family, correct? Do we know who died? If it was someone he was close to, that could have a negative mental impact. So perhaps we should not write Kolb off quite yet.

On the 3rd stringer: perchance one should keep that in mind for EJ's 2nd half as well? He did indeed look very good. But it was against 2nd stringers, correct?

Edited by Hopeful

For starters, it was EJ's first game. Second of all, he didn't have Stevie or Chandler, and was throwing to very inexperienced receivers. Third of all, his time against the Colts' starters consisted of 5 running plays and 2 pass plays, one being an incompletion to Woods and the other a poorly-executed screen to Fred Jackson.

I took that into consideration. And I don't take any of that away from him. I just don't give him heaps of praise for scoring two touchdowns against 3rd string defenses.

I don't necessarily disagree, I just hesitate to take the leap of knowing what's going on in the locker room.

Is it really a leap? How many fans here want Kolb to still get another chance? One person?

I think it's obvious that the team would be almost 100% backing Manuel at this point. They probably can't say anything publicly because that would be disrespectful to Kolb who seems like a good guy.

Sure I may be wrong, but I just think it's logical the team wants Manuel as their starter.