the QB competition is over - EJ is your winner

papazoid

I'd say the mental error was not recognizing where the blitz was coming from, pre-snap.

EJ knew where it was coming from.

He started doing the reverse pivot while the ball was being snapped to him but the rush was perfectly timed. The only thing he could have done better on that play is simply throw the ball away rather than trying to evade the rush with the reverse move.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i watched the game live (i live abroad and can do that). EJ looked quick and decisive when going through his reads.

kolb looked bad. he looked tentative, uncertain, and his passes were inaccurate. he also runs the offense more slowly than EJ. EJ looked so decisive and deliberate.

one would think the competition is over, providing EJ doesn't look awful next week.

but even if he does look awful, why play kolb? kolb is a defined quantity, after all. EJ really looks the part of an NFL QB... i mean, really look the part. he looks great.

Edited by MarkKelso'sHelmet

What's funny is he hasn't even shown off his long ball. This has all been short smart decisions. Give it to the guy for the first down. He hasn't even really rushed it. Young QBs like him usually run more but he is always looking for that pass. He moves better as a QB and the guys around him are already performing better when he is on the field. Sorry kolb the clipboard is that way >

Good points made there! Manuel shows he's got a handle on the offense, his arm is MORE than capable of making any throw, and he's showing he's capable of making reads, of being patient. I really like that EJ isn't throwing deep - he's giving game-plan material to teams that shows an EJ making dink and dunk passes; and come opening day, he's going to LIGHT IT UP deep! Also, it is evident that the team as a whole plays better when EJ is on the field (even Tuel, for that matter, energized the team more than Kolb did/does). If I were the Bills, I'd seriously consider ditching Kolb and keeping Tuel as the backup - and let the young team grow together. They already appear to have a young, we're a team out to prove everyone wrong and to be a great team mentality. All good things so far with this team - and I haven't even touched on that DEFENSE!!!!

I really like that EJ isn't throwing deep - he's giving game-plan material to teams that shows an EJ making dink and dunk passes; and come opening day, he's going to LIGHT IT UP deep!

I could not agree more - this is by design. Look for at least 3-4 deep balls in Q1 of game 1. IMO they are making a concerted effort not to show any deep stuff this PS.

Kolb should have never been signed.

Hang on, there was value in signing Kolb even if he gets cut. It helped mask thier draft day intentions and provided competition for any rookie QB they drafted.

Hang on, there was value in signing Kolb even if he gets cut. It helped mask thier draft day intentions and provided competition for any rookie QB they drafted.

Also served as insurance if they didnt get a qb somehow, and is still a backup as they need more than 1 qb

After toady's game if he isn't something is really wrong with the coaching staff and they need to get their eyes examined...hasn't even been close, IMHO

Yes, it also hedged in case someone took EJ ahead of them and they waited til next year to draft a QB...Kolb would have been a 1 year stop gap in that instance

Always nice to see your QB playing well. But as was said with Tuel last week, it's tough to give too much credence when he was facing 3rd stringers.

Either way, he should be the starter. Kolb should have never been signed.

Yeah but that's where you are wrong as usual. Ej did it vs 1st strings AND 2nd-3rd stringers. You must be related to Tuel. You must.

After toady's game if he isn't something is really wrong with the coaching staff and they need to get their eyes examined...hasn't even been close, IMHO

Yes, it also hedged in case someone took EJ ahead of them and they waited til next year to draft a QB...Kolb would have been a 1 year stop gap in that instance

That is one hellava good point. Now I'm actually looking forward to this season. With Kolb I was not really even going to watch. To this day, I still have not renewed Sunday Ticket. And I'm going to get it free!!!!! I'm just waiting for the Ej announcement to go through, and I'm calling DirecTV. And I'm getting it for free!!! Wait I said that already.

Yup, especially if next year's class proves to be what everyone claims it to be.

EJ will be the week #1 starter

There it is. As Marrone predicted: "someone will emerge."

I've been defending Kolb on these forums for weeks. But, I feel a little foolish tonight. I think we will still have more to learn in week three. In fact, I hope that Kolb and Tuel get the majority of snaps. I know there are a lot of people on these pages who are sold on Tuel as backup, but I'm not one of them. But, that could change next week. Who knows? At this point, though, I wouldn't bet on Kolb getting cut.

I saw the game highlights on the news.. the game was blacked out here in Roc.

It really looked like Kolb has regressed from his days in Arizona. Hopefully he can step it up. A rookie backing a rookie at QB is kinda scary.

What do you mean regressed from his time in Arizona. He and Skelton were the laughing stocks of the nfl this time last year. So he had a few good games. Good for him. Look at Kolb/s numbers in Philly. They were very average. Very. Google them. Or nfl.com them. Just like he is now. Very average. So I hate him.

I've been defending Kolb on these forums for weeks. But, I feel a little foolish tonight. I think we will still have more to learn in week three. In fact, I hope that Kolb and Tuel get the majority of snaps. I know there are a lot of people on these pages who are sold on Tuel as backup, but I'm not one of them. But, that could change next week. Who knows? At this point, though, I wouldn't bet on Kolb getting cut.

You're still doing it.

I wont call you a fool. But I will say I told you so fool. Just kidding. You must be very young or just don't know as much football as the rest of us. Preseason game 3 is almost like the real thing. The back ups play very little. The back ups play the 4th quarter. It's the opposite of game 1 and 2. If Ej is named starter which I think he will, he will play into the 3r quarter. This is quite normal.

You're still doing it.

You and I understand each other. Most likely they are little kids so I'm going easy on them.

Yeah but that's where you are wrong as usual. Ej did it vs 1st strings AND 2nd-3rd stringers. You must be related to Tuel. You must.

Wrong like usual? You must be thinking of someone else. I am in no way a Tuel supporter. He could get cut for all I care.

EJ did very little against 1st stringers. His 80+ yard 2 minute drive in game 1 was against 3rd stringers.

kolb looked bad. he looked tentative, uncertain, and his passes were inaccurate. he also runs the offense more slowly than EJ. EJ looked so decisive and deliberate.

Very succinct description.

We finally moderately upgraded the QB position at long last with a guy in Ryan Fitzpatrick....who while critically flawed in terms of accuracy and range....was a very tough, durable, decisive and productive(see TD's).........and then they went out and acquired a guy with virtually everything you don't want in a QB.....shellshocked, injury prone, indecisive, unproductive, weak armed, undersized........just a ridiculous acquisition from the get-go.

I knew we would see more of the same crap from him once he took the field in Buffalo. What I didn't know is that he would also mill around between plays like he wasn't running an up-tempo, no-huddle offense. It was maddening to watch and I know people want to see EJ in the game but he was being lustily booed by Bills fans in part because they have seen this act from the likes of JP Losman and Trent Edwards and nobody wants to go back that level of ineptitude at QB. Indecisive management of the offense followed up by a fear of the pass rush causing missed opportunities. On the throw-away in the endzone on third down he had 2 receivers open on the other side of the field, but he had abandoned the pocket and moved to the right, essentially giving the defense only half the field to defend. And when he bailed from the pocket tonight he didn't have the wheels to take the yards in front of him. The guy is QB junk.

I think it was SJBF dogging me last week for wanting Kolb cut.......like it was a crazy idea.........seems like his Kolb support is waning.

Thank goodness for EJ. How they can pick a very promising young QB in EJ Manuel and at the same time acquire THE laughingstock QB of the NFL in Kevin Kolb is a mystery unless you buy the idea that Kolb was brought in as the tomato can QB for EJ to easily kick over.

The amazing thing for me is he did it with another set of receivers in this game and without our best receiver suiting up. Manuel will be loaded up with weapons. The run game has been fantastic and will only allow him to further develop. I'm optimistic we can be a .500 club now.