the QB competition is over - EJ is your winner

papazoid

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have completely changed my feeling on this. Seeing EJ go through his progressions so quickly, combined with Kolb having this god-awful wind up that I don't recall him having (at least not one that is this slow), has me feeling good about EJ starting week 1. Kolb looked like he was going to shart himself out there half the time. EJ has already taken huge steps from where he left off at FSU, and he's a solid FRANCHISE QB in the making. I'm also very proud to have this kid as our QB.

I missed the game, did Kolb look terrible out there? I saw the numbers, but was the vibe abysmal?

By the way, your boy Tasker was really, really bad tonight.

Almost everything he said from start to finish was wrong. But I love Steve and don't hold that against him.

Kolb was terrible. He was consistently late with his reads. He was not on the same page with his receivers.

He showed average at best arm strength and didn't seem to see the field well.

He often threw off his back foot and his body language was poor. When he was standing in the pocket he looked smaller than he actually is.

I'm not sure how much the missed week of practice hurt him but it was very clear that EJ has a much better grasp (actually command) of the offense than does the 7 year veteran.

As I said in another thread, The EJ era has begun. And what a storybook start, getting a loud welcome from the home fans and then taking his team on a 14 play, 80 yard touchdown drive.

It seems like the only 2 passes EJ didn't complete were throw aways. He played with confidence and swagger, and with a great command of the offense and his teammates.

The other two drives started at the Buffalo 3 yard line and the Buffalo 2 yard line. Though neither of these drives ended with scores, EJ made good decisions and good throws. Several of his completions tonight (both short and mid-range) were passes most QBs can only dream of. He can put plenty of mustard on the ball but his accuracy and touch are elite.

I agree, I think EJ will (and should) be named the starter.

It seems the NFL would also like to see the rookie start. This video shows only Kolb incompletions/interception, followed by Manuel's plays (which were almost entirely good): http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000230995/Pre-week-2-Kolb-and-Manuel-highlights

Kind of funny they didn't include any of Kolb's completions.

It seems like the only 2 passes EJ didn't complete were throw aways. He played with confidence and swagger, and with a great command of the offense and his teammates.

The other two drives started at the Buffalo 3 yard line and the Buffalo 2 yard line. Though neither of these drives ended with scores, EJ made good decisions and good throws. Several of his completions tonight (both short and mid-range) were passes most QBs can only dream of. He can put plenty of mustard on the ball but his accuracy and touch are elite.

After the first throwaway, he was talking with Hogan, who might have run the wrong pattern.

I agree, I think EJ will (and should) be named the starter.

It seems the NFL would also like to see the rookie start. This video shows only Kolb incompletions/interception, followed by Manuel's plays (which were almost entirely good): http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000230995/Pre-week-2-Kolb-and-Manuel-highlights

Kind of funny they didn't include any of Kolb's completions.

But it's expected contrast. Kolb should be expected to dominate preseason games given where he was once placed in terms of skill ang talent. EJ is just so much better, and its not close.

DeMarco Sampson made a fantastic catch on EJ's only bad throw. saw demarco being carted out of the stadium, don't have any info on his injury.

Yep, that was his only bad pass. The two incompletions were throwaways.

On EJ's sack, I don't think any QB in the league would have escaped that pass rush.

I don't think EJ made a single mental error.

On one short pass to Brad Smith, he looked at Smith, glanced downfield while rolling to his right, and flipped the ball to Smith for a 7 yard gain. It was not a huge play but his poise and patience were very impressive. It was like the game was moving at EJ's speed and not the other way around (like with Kolb).

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

What's funny is he hasn't even shown off his long ball. This has all been short smart decisions. Give it to the guy for the first down. He hasn't even really rushed it. Young QBs like him usually run more but he is always looking for that pass. He moves better as a QB and the guys around him are already performing better when he is on the field. Sorry kolb the clipboard is that way >

Edited by Meatloaf Sandwich

Yep, that was his only bad pass. The two incompletions were throwaways.

On EJ's sack, I don't think any QB in the league would have escaped that pass rush.

I don't think EJ made a single mental error.

I'd say the mental error was not recognizing where the blitz was coming from, pre-snap.

What's funny is he hasn't even shown off his long ball. This has all bee short smart decisions. Give it to the guy for the first down. He hasn't even really rushed it. Young QBs like him usually run more but he is always looking for that pass. He moves better as a QB and the guys are already performing better when he is on the field. Sorry kolb the clipboard is that way >

As the critics were very wrong about, EJ's accuracy is remarkable. He's a natural thrower with a smooth motion and he throws a well-placed and catchable ball with the flick of his wrist. A lot of young QBs get adrenalined out and overthrow everything. If you graded every throw he made, you'd have to give him a nearly perfect score both for the decision on where to go with the ball but also for the quality of the throw itself.

I also believe that for the most part, the Bills are keeping Goodwin under wraps until the regular season starts.

It seems like they're running some stuff in practice that they're not showing in games.

i watched the game live (i live abroad and can do that). EJ looked quick and decisive when going through his reads.

kolb looked bad. he looked tentative, uncertain, and his passes were inaccurate. he also runs the offense more slowly than EJ. EJ looked so decisive and deliberate.

one would think the competition is over, providing EJ doesn't look awful next week.