Will Marrone be more successful than Chip Kelly?

Anyone think Doug Marrone will have more success in the NFL than Chip Kelly will in Philly? My hunch is Kelly will pull a Nick Saban and run back to college within two years. Marrone seems to have a better grasp of where he is going with the Bills.

Thoughts?

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone think Doug Marrone will have more success in the NFL than Chip Kelly will in Philly? My hunch is Kelly will pull a Nick Saban and run back to college within two years. Marrone seems to have a better grasp of where he is going with the Bills.

Thoughts?

PTR

Marrone strikes me as more NFL ready with his background, so I wouldn't be surprised if he has a better start.

Kelly seems too gimmicky to make it-- guys with gimmicks usually don't last in the NFL. but who knows? with the right players, he could do well.

Going by the simplest metric for success in the N.F.L.- the quality of one's quarterback- I think Marrone is more likely to have success in the league. Vick doesn't cut it, and I don't see enough in Barkley or Foles.

I'm not saying E.J. is a guaranteed success, but I think he is more likely to be a winner than anyone on the Eagles.

Why, are you watching this :sick: Eagles game? See? I told you guys guys they sucked. The only reason they are winning?

Cam Newton 8/17 112 yards after playing the whole half. Cam Newton is the guy that I am praying EJ doesn't turn into.

Matt Barkley <<<<< EJ Manuel. Period. Paragraph. Page.

On top of that, the Eagles D is horrible.

IF Chip Kelly stays, it will be because he is able to fix the D over the next 2 years, and get Michael Vick to start playing QB like an adult. That may be too many results to expect from a college coach. EDIT: I'm not saying that Vick sucks. I am saying that he still plays like a rookie too often.

And, I'm a little tired of ignorant analysts calling Marrone a "college coach". Marrone spent 7 years in the NFL, 3 of which as a O coordinator. That's a major distinction from Nick Saban/Stever Spurrier type guys.

I will end with: Eagles Sack Fumble just happened. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edited by OCinBuffalo

I think Marrone will be better. He doesn't need to rely on NCAA violations to field a winner. Uh oh. What's Chip gonna do now lol I sincerely hope that Marrone is by far better off. I think I will agree with promo :sick: that Chip is far more likely to take his show back to school somewhere.

Why, are you watching this :sick: Eagles game? See? I told you guys guys they sucked. The only reason they are winning?

Cam Newton 8/17 112 yards after playing the whole half. Cam Newton is the guy that I am praying EJ doesn't turn into.

Matt Barkley <<<<< EJ Manuel. Period. Paragraph. Page.

On top of that, the Eagles D is horrible.

IF Chip Kelly stays, it will be because he is able to fix the D over the next 2 years, and get Michael Vick to start playing QB like an adult. That may be too many results to expect from a college coach. EDIT: I'm not saying that Vick sucks. I am saying that he still plays like a rookie too often.

And, I'm a little tired of ignorant analysts calling Marrone a "college coach". Marrone spent 7 years in the NFL, 3 of which as a O coordinator. That's a major distinction from Nick Saban/Stever Spurrier type guys.

Um, FYI: Nick spent 6 years in the NFL before his stint as HC of the Dolphins. He spent 2 years as DB coach for the Oilers and 4 years as DC for the Browns under BB.

As for Spurrier, while not the NFL, he did spend 3 years as HC of the Tampa Bay Bandits of the USFL prior to his stint as HC of the Redskins.

Um, FYI: Nick spent 6 years in the NFL before his stint as HC of the Dolphins. He spent 2 years as DB coach for the Oilers and 4 years as DC for the Browns under BB.

As for Spurrier, while not the NFL, he did spend 3 years as HC of the Tampa Bay Bandits of the USFL prior to his stint as HC of the Redskins.

Also FWIW, Spurrier had a 10 year career as an NFL backup QB.

One of the interesting anomalies in the NFL coaching ranks (besides Chip Kelly having zero NFL experience) is that former Cardinals Head Coach and present-day Steelers OC Todd Haley has never played football at any level.

Thoughts?

PTR

Marrone may not become a legendary coach but he will top Kelly, who's only hiding out in the NFL until the NCAA stuff becomes history.

Chip is just waiting for an SEC job to open up... If the cupboard was not so bare at Auburn right now he may have taken that job after Chizik was fired. However he didn't know if NCAA sanctions would follow him. The NCAA slapped Oregon on the wrist. He will be in the SEC or at Texas in 2015.

I do think he is smart enought to coach in the NFL. I don't think he will do well with the media spotlight. He couldn't handle Oregon. In the end the people of Philly and the media there will dislike his attitude.

the "up-tempo" scheme Chip Kelly uses can be very effective in the NFL.

Philly's problem last year was an injury ravaged offensive line, only the LG stayed healthy (adding OT's Lane Johnson & getting Jason Peters back will help).

Mike Vick will have a bounce back year and thrive under Kelly's system.

I think BOTH Marrone & Kelly will be successful.

Thoughts?

PTR

Of course ...who's Chip Kelly?

I watched a few minutes of Iggles/Kitty Kats last night and was wholly unimpressed by both teams. Cam Newton looked terrible. Also, comparing Kelly's offense to Hackett's, I think the Bills are going to be a much more entertaining team.

Just my $.02...

How can this be? Cam is supposed to be a Hall of Fame QB since Ryan Billz said so lol. I need to pull up that post he made the other season .

I watched a few minutes of Iggles/Kitty Kats last night and was wholly unimpressed by both teams. Cam Newton looked terrible. Also, comparing Kelly's offense to Hackett's, I think the Bills are going to be a much more entertaining team.

Just my $.02...

You know, I didn't see much, but what I did, I would have to agree with you. I came in late (last quarter) and Barkley and whoever the 4th stringer was looked like they were barely moving. I would love to see the total snap count, because even Tuel was running it quicker, and without any delay of game penalties. Chip Kelly is being praised for putting up 36 points in two games, while the Bills offense put up 30 in one, not counting the special teams play.

I still would hold off to see if this gets repeated, but I seriously think that the Bills are running a faster offense.