Pete Rose: I should have beaten up my wife instead of gambling

The title of the thread did a fantastic job in making me open it ... but it's not a very representative paraphrase, in my opinion.

So in other words, just like a headline on a real news website.

Rose is right. Baseball's grude against him is bizarre and unfair.

In the context of what all he said and given the state of the game since his ban his comments are not out of line. Baseball is a mess perhaps so are many other sports. There s a lot of money out there on the table and it will tempt some to bend rules to get it.

I didn't click the link, but to be fair, Rose wasn't banned from baseball because he gambled, he was banned because he continued to lie about gambling even after the evidence was presented. He didn't admit it until (15?) years later. I believe if Rose had "fessed up" to Bart Giamatti after the Dowd Report came out and apologized, this would never have happened.

It's ridiculous that baseball hasn't fixed this situation by now, but Bud Selig is a clown and to a large extent, so is Rose. So they have each other.

that's what i've been saying since this nonsense began...we have a reiging triple crown winner who hit his wife, got into a confrontation with the police and begged them to shoot him, then we have another guy allegedly doing things that any of us average citizens can do leagally and who is the focus on?

I didn't click the link, but to be fair, Rose wasn't banned from baseball because he gambled, he was banned because he continued to lie about gambling even after the evidence was presented. He didn't admit it until (15?) years later. I believe if Rose had "fessed up" to Bart Giamatti after the Dowd Report came out and apologized, this would never have happened.

It's ridiculous that baseball hasn't fixed this situation by now, but Bud Selig is a clown and to a large extent, so is Rose. So they have each other.

This!

The game is a mess, there are a lot of bad guys involved with it, none of them deserve any of the spoils of their success...that doesn't make Roses' transgressions against the game any less serious. It kills me to say it, but as a kid, when I still liked baseball, I loved Pete Rose... the Reds were "my team"...just like so many others... Now, I just think the guy is a pathetic weasel. But hey, the sport is littered with them....

Pete Rose makes a good point, he did get a raw deal, but consider the source. Baseball, particularly the Baseball HOF, has become a mockery of itself. That's what they get for giving the vote to a bunch of pretentious self-absorbed candy ass sports writers who know dick about the game. Cooperstown is on the fast track to becoming as relevant as Madonna's career since 1992.

that's what i've been saying since this nonsense began...we have a reiging triple crown winner who hit his wife, got into a confrontation with the police and begged them to shoot him, then we have another guy allegedly doing things that any of us average citizens can do leagally and who is the focus on?

Would you expect your employer to react more harshly to something that threatens the integrity of their product, or something in your personal life?

Would you expect them to back down, or dig in if you have lied and disrespected them over it?

Edited by NoSaint

Would you expect your employer to react more harshly to something that threatens the integrity of their product, or something in your personal life?

Would you expect them to back down, or dig in if you have lied and disrespected them over it?

This! Spot on NoSaint.

They have to treat Rose differently or else the game gets the integrity of the WWF. When I say game, mean the actual playing of the game and its integrity. There has to be no question about the game being on the level.

There has only been one other incident in baseball like that was dealt w/equally as harshly!

Pete Rose makes a good point, he did get a raw deal, but consider the source. Baseball, particularly the Baseball HOF, has become a mockery of itself. That's what they get for giving the vote to a bunch of pretentious self-absorbed candy ass sports writers who know dick about the game. Cooperstown is on the fast track to becoming as relevant as Madonna's career since 1992.

There is still some great history there, but you're spot on here.

So which one does the use of PEDs fall under? The thing thats putting asteriks all over the history books and stats sheets in the league and currently making the game into a big joke?

There are also plenty of employers who have written into their employees contracts clauses for termination if they are caught doing something that can diminish teh reputation of the business/organisation.

As long as Pete Rose never wagered on an outcome of a game, and then did something to influence that game negatively to favour the outcome in his favour, whats the big deal. He never intentionally threw a game to win a bet. The problem is that MLB was just pissed that he continued to lie and say he never did it.

Ryan Braun can win an award for MVP, test positive for PEDs, deny it and win an appeal on a technicality (never proving that the test results were wrong but that they shouldn't be allowed to be used cause of a technicality), brag about beating the system, and then get caught making the league, the brewers (and Aaron Rodgers) look like fools and he gets off with a season ending suspension where he will only lose a small percentage of his guaranteed pay (less then 10%)