Great win, good things but one thing really bothers me...

The Skins didn't hold back RG III. Indy didn't hold back Luck. Seattle and SF didnt' hold back their two guys. Carolina didnt' hold back Newton.

It seems to me they are going to really restrict or 'baby' EJ and I feel that is going to hurt him more than help. Either we picked the right guy or we didn't. Either these guys can coach him up, or they cant. But it seems to me they don't seem to have as much faith in him as the teams listed above did with their Rookie QB's.

Maybe its coaching? Maybe Marrone is afraid to let the kid loose I don't know. What I do know is if they keep this overly conservative **** up, we are going to be the same old predictable Buffalo Bills getting their asses handed to them like in years past. Tuel seemed to me to be allowed to do more, go deep etc.

It seems our first string still had issues getting to the QB other than Mario's GREAT jump of the snap count and getting luck. And I want to say I am by far one of the biggest detractors of Mario but when we first started the game and he was screaming at the line to shift down impressed me greatly. I loved the fact he was pissed they didn't and he let them know it after the play esp. since he diagnosed the play correctly and had the line shifted, Indy wouldn't have rushed for a first down.

Do we have any CB's or LB's( outside of Alfonso and Gilmore) that can cover anyone? WR's and TE's again WAY too wide open today from Indy's first string.

What I saw that was good, EJ took command of the offense and lead them on the 2 minute scoring drive. His best pass was not the TD, it was a few plays earlier when he spun from a pass rush and saw everyone was covered and tossed it into the stands. I loved that play. Shows damn good awareness for a rookie.

Tuel. Holy crap!!! Mr. Kolb..please bring your overpriced playbook to the office please! Kid has a gun, accurate and read the D today very well. If we can develop this kid, we have a damn salty backup, something greatly needed in todays NFL.

I saw WR's getting open! Is this Buffalo?

Goodwin!!! My God this kid is going to be amazing for us. I pray he can get a ton of reps on the offense and contribute there like he does on KO's. as for as ST's go, this kid gets a seam...its over. He could literally become the best KO return man in the NFL and break some records. Hey Devin Hester...take notice son there is a new KO return sheriff in town.

Overall, shaky start but one of the better complete pre season games we have seen in a long time. I pray we will see this team continue and get better and better. All I know is for the most part it was damn nice to sit back and Watch a Bills game for once.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Skins didn't hold back RG III. Indy didn't hold back Luck. Seattle and SF didnt' hold back their two guys. Carolina didnt' hold back Newton.

It seems to me they are going to really restrict or 'baby' EJ and I feel that is going to hurt him more than help. Either we picked the right guy or we didn't. Either these guys can coach him up, or they cant. But it seems to me they don't seem to have as much faith in him as the teams listed above did with their Rookie QB's.

Maybe its coaching? Maybe Marrone is afraid to let the kid loose I don't know. What I do know is if they keep this overly conservative **** up, we are going to be the same old predictable Buffalo Bills getting their asses handed to them like in years past. Tuel seemed to me to be allowed to do more, go deep etc.

It seems our first string still had issues getting to the QB other than Mario's GREAT jump of the snap count and getting luck. And I want to say I am by far one of the biggest detractors of Mario but when we first started the game and he was screaming at the line to shift down impressed me greatly. I loved the fact he was pissed they didn't and he let them know it after the play esp. since he diagnosed the play correctly and had the line shifted, Indy wouldn't have rushed for a first down.

Do we have any CB's or LB's( outside of Alfonso and Gilmore) that can cover anyone? WR's and TE's again WAY too wide open today from Indy's first string.

What I saw that was good, EJ took command of the offense and lead them on the 2 minute scoring drive. His best pass was not the TD, it was a few plays earlier when he spun from a pass rush and saw everyone was covered and tossed it into the stands. I loved that play. Shows damn good awareness for a rookie.

Tuel. Holy crap!!! Mr. Kolb..please bring your overpriced playbook to the office please! Kid has a gun, accurate and read the D today very well. If we can develop this kid, we have a damn salty backup, something greatly needed in todays NFL.

I saw WR's getting open! Is this Buffalo?

Goodwin!!! My God this kid is going to be amazing for us. I pray he can get a ton of reps on the offense and contribute there like he does on KO's. as for as ST's go, this kid gets a seam...its over. He could literally become the best KO return man in the NFL and break some records. Hey Devin Hester...take notice son there is a new KO return sheriff in town.

Overall, shaky start but one of the better complete pre season games we have seen in a long time. I pray we will see this team continue and get better and better. All I know is for the most part it was damn nice to sit back and Watch a Bills game for once.

Maybe they did not want to "show" everything in the first preseason game.

Seattle absolutely held back Russell Wilson for the first few weeks. I think they were ranked 31st in pass yards per game going into the New England game, where they finally opened things up for him.

I do agree that I would have liked a couple deep balls from EJ, but I guess we'll see what happens next week.

Can't agree with any of this.

GO BILLS!!!

Seattle absolutely held back Russell Wilson for the first few weeks. I think they were ranked 31st in pass yards per game going into the New England game, where they finally opened things up for him.

I do agree that I would have liked a couple deep balls from EJ, but I guess we'll see what happens next week.

This is true. Wilson came close to losing the starting job early on. If not for that play to end the GB game, he may have. And as Wilson got more comfortable, so did Carroll. That was obvious from watching Seattle progress through the year.

GO BILLS!!!

Luck and RG3 also played in more pro style offenses then EJ played in at FSU

There is nothing wrong with bringing him along slowly especially considering he has only played 2 quarters of pre season football

I agree with almost all of it bud. Crept the tale in EJ being handcuffed. I think he's coming along well. Well enough to get some success. Well enough to learn. And most likely we weren't showing our deep play hand in the first pre season game. Look for a few more passes deep in game 2 and I wouldn't expect much more out of the ore season.

Coach said that he was disappointed that Hackett didn't call more "go" routes or deep balls for EJ. Something that will be addressed for Friday nights game I'm sure. This next preseason game should be interesting considering Kolb will be back and we will get another look at Tuel and hopefully take some of the reigns of EJ as well. GO BILLS!!!

That's odd since all you heard is how they brought the rookie QBs along slowly last year. Only Luck was given everything. So your beginning statement already makes no sense to me.

Agreed. Wilson had a vanilla offense for 1/2 the season and ran more in the first half. Luck threw bubble screens and ran the pistol for most of the season. Only Luck aired it out from day one. And I'm sure that was not by choice. Their running backs are awful. He was forced to throw early.

That's odd since all you heard is how they brought the rookie QBs along slowly last year. Only Luck was given everything. So your beginning statement already makes no sense to me.

And Luck had the worse stats of any of the elite rookie QBs.

Almost every other franchise would be thrilled with the start by Manuel. His first start in the NFL without best and most experience receivers (SJ and Chandler) and he played winning football. Didn't force things, ran only when he had to, and led a 90+ yard 2 minute drive. How someone can be disappointed with that is beyond me.

And yes as others has mention, Russell Wilson was carried by his defense and running game the 1st half of the season. And even though it is absolutely insane to make any concrete judgements on the 1st preseason game for any rookie much less a QB, here are Luck's, RG3, & Wilson's 1st preseason games:

Luck - 10 for 16, 188 yards, 2 tds, 1 rush for 9 yards http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2012081251/2012/PRE1/rams@colts?icampaign=GC_schedule_rr#menu=gameinfo&tab=analyze (Of course, EJ outplayed him today thus he must be regressing).

RG3 - 4 for 6, 70 yards, 1 td, 1 lost fumble, 1 rush for 0 yards. http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2012080951/2012/PRE1/redskins@bills?icampaign=GC_schedule_rr#menu=gameinfo&tab=analyze&analyze=boxscore

Wilson (came in the 2nd half) - 12 for 16, 124 yards, 1 td, 1 int, 3 rushes for 59 yards, 1 td http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2012081152/2012/PRE1/titans@seahawks?icampaign=GC_schedule_rr#menu=gameinfo&tab=analyze

Manuel - 16 for 21, 107 yards, 1 td, 3 rushes for 28 yards, 1 questionable fumble.

For once, just enjoy the moment.

Te

Almost every other franchise would be thrilled with the start by Manuel. His first start in the NFL without best and most experience receivers (SJ and Chandler) and he played winning football. Didn't force things, ran only when he had to, and led a 90+ yard 2 minute drive. How someone can be disappointed with that is beyond me.

And yes as others has mention, Russell Wilson was carried by his defense and running game the 1st half of the season. And even though it is absolutely insane to make any concrete judgements on the 1st preseason game for any rookie much less a QB, here are Luck's, RG3, & Wilson's 1st preseason games:

Luck - 10 for 16, 188 yards, 2 tds, 1 rush for 9 yards http://www.nfl.com/g...nfo&tab=analyze (Of course, EJ outplayed him today thus he must be regressing).

RG3 - 4 for 6, 70 yards, 1 td, 1 lost fumble, 1 rush for 0 yards. http://www.nfl.com/g...nalyze=boxscore

Wilson (came in the 2nd half) - 12 for 16, 124 yards, 1 td, 1 int, 3 rushes for 59 yards, 1 td http://www.nfl.com/g...nfo&tab=analyze

Manuel - 16 for 21, 107 yards, 1 td, 3 rushes for 28 yards, 1 questionable fumble.

Yep- we played the Skins in week one of last year's preseason, and RGIII was certainly "held back."

Yeah, and that was mid season, this was a few drives in half a preseason game. The rant seems revisionist at best. Even the best of those guys certainly got more as the season went, with Wilson being the most widely publicized - and it was covered thoroughly last year.

Luck - 10 for 16, 188 yards, 2 tds, 1 rush for 9 yards http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2012081251/2012/PRE1/rams@colts?icampaign=GC_schedule_rr#menu=gameinfo&tab=analyze (Of course, EJ outplayed him today thus he must be regressing).

RG3 - 4 for 6, 70 yards, 1 td, 1 lost fumble, 1 rush for 0 yards. http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2012080951/2012/PRE1/redskins@bills?icampaign=GC_schedule_rr#menu=gameinfo&tab=analyze&analyze=boxscore

Wilson (came in the 2nd half) - 12 for 16, 124 yards, 1 td, 1 int, 3 rushes for 59 yards, 1 td http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2012081152/2012/PRE1/titans@seahawks?icampaign=GC_schedule_rr#menu=gameinfo&tab=analyze

Why did you quote me? I am enjoying it, I'm not the OP...

Edited by Meatloaf Sandwich

Why did you quote me? I am enjoying it, I'm not the OP...

I was going off your point about Luck being given everything right away. He was and he had the worst stats of the 3 rookie QBs. In fact, Luck had worse stats than Fitz. He's a stud but maybe not forcing your rookie QB to carry your team is a good model.

Our D has a lot to prove but it did cross my mind that perhaps we have the model of the Jets from a few years ago. We have 2 really good backs and a ton of talent on D. If Manuel can play smart football like he did today, who knows what this tema could do? And I'd rather a rookie Manuel over a 5th year Sanchez.

Its likely they don't want to show too much in the pre-season. You are going to lose the element of surprise if you let it all hang out so to speak.

I agree with this statement.

What impressed me most about Manuel today was his command of the offense. He looked calm and kept the fast paced offense running smoothly.

He looked like a leader today. Good job.

Good first game. Nothing to get overly worked up about. Big improvement in last years squad was hitting on defense and confidence on offense. Work still needs to be done but for a first step they played well. EJ did a good job and will show off the passing attack as the preseason progresses.

Those teams didn't hold them back...in the first pre-season game?

Yup, and Kaepernick sat for a year and a half. There's no one way to do it. Just develop the player the right way for him.