Glenn to LG

If anything, this thread is evidence to two things: 1. Misleading thread titles create very misinformed threads and 2. A good portion of people around here read the thread title and post a reaction without reading the thread at all

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I gotta say Glenn is a Guard and have always thought so. Maybe Marrone who is a damn good OL Coach and the OL are 'his guys' so to speak, thinks so as well?

But...but....but... Buddy Nix said it was just a ruse on his part to pretend he was a guard, so he would fall to us in th 2nd round. He has always been a tackle! Buddy said so!

Guys, the post-practice comments explained things very clearly in a way that made sense: if your 6th-best OLmen is a tackle and not a guard, and you have a guy that can undoubtedly play guard, then you move him there in order to get your best 5 guys on the field. It really is that simple.

And for those of you looking for examples of LTs that moved to LG based on injury, you're making a false analogy. We're talking about what is simply a different approach that is designed to ensure that the best 5 available OLmen are on the field at all times...nothing more to it.

No, it isn't that simple at all. How many top quality left tackles do you tremember being moved to guard? Wolford is one, but he was more than 35 years old at the time.

You cannot find me an example of any NFL team moving a star, or even very good LT out of position, can you?

but so many people are yet to say "i told you so" to the guy that said "i told you so" yesterday

This thread needs to die. It was a move made for one day. To hear people talk, no team has ever even thought about moving a good LT from his spot to try a different spot for one day during training camp.

I know he's only a HOFer, but Jonathan Ogden played LG for the 1996 season...

http://www.pro-footb.../O/OgdeJo00.htm

I also seem to remember Larry Allen and Bruce Matthews playing a fair share of both LT and LG...those guys were pretty good.

Ogden was a rookie being broken in slowly and Larry Allen and Bruce Matthews were career interior lineman who had brief times at OT. Moving from Guard to Tackle is an increase in degree of difficulty. But it happens that way all the time, good guards shift outside or to center when there is an injury. Levitre did both as well. Results vary though because those guys generally aren't good enough at that position to stay there and that's why they were inside. The Oilers moved Matthews to LT one game against the Bills and he gave up 5 sacks to Bruce Smith.

To hear people talk, no team has ever even thought about moving a good LT from his spot to try a different spot for one day during training camp.

Now that you mention it, when has it been done?

No, it isn't that simple at all. How many top quality left tackles do you tremember being moved to guard? Wolford is one, but he was more than 35 years old at the time.

You cannot find me an example of any NFL team moving a star, or even very good LT out of position, can you?

Wolford started out as a guard, playing between Hull and Devlin.

GO BILLS!!!

Didn't Wolford begin as a guard and move to tackle before moving back at the end of his career?

And again, you're making a false analogy. We're not talking about Glenn being relieved of his LT duties; we're talking about making a move with a versatile player to get the best 5 players on the field in the event of an injury.

As for examples, I suppose it depends on your definition of very good. How about a guy like Travelle Wharton? He spent the better part of 7 seasons flip-flopping between LG and LT for Carolina, starting every game in which he played. David Diehl started his NYG career at RT, moved inside to guard, then moved back outside to LT, where he started during their superbowl season in 2007-08, then was kicked back inside to guard in 2009, and has bounced back and forth ever since. This is a guy that once signed a top-5 OT contract. Bengals LT Andrew Whitworth started his career at LT, starting 12 games as a rookie. He moved inside to LG in his second season, then moved back outside to LT in season 3.

I guess you get my point.

GO BILLS!!!

Beat me to it....

Edited by thebandit27

GO BILLS!!!

Yeah, but that is irrelevant to the discussion. He moved inside to out in that instance. Like Bill said, it's obviously rare because it usually only happens when that player gets old or underperforms. Hence, the question about what it means for Glenn being tried inside. Some have mentioned it as a motivation tactic for the existing guards....but maybe it is a reminder to Glenn that he can be demoted. I don't buy the "cross training" explanation, you don't move your LT to guard during a game in the event of injury. I am quite sure I have never seen that maneuver.

As did Wolford. But didn't the moves come later in their careers, when they lost some outside mobility?

Whatever the reason that Marrone is justifying in giving Glenn a turn at LG, and maybe it will make sense at some point in retrospect, can we finally dispense with the premise that LGs are plug n play and any dumpster dive player can be slotted in a line without missing a beat?

Now you've gone too far.

Yeah, but that is irrelevant to the discussion. He moved inside to out in that instance. Like Bill said, it's obviously rare because it usually only happens when that player gets old or underperforms. Hence, the question about what it means for Glenn being tried inside. Some have mentioned it as a motivation tactic for the existing guards....but maybe it is a reminder to Glenn that he can be demoted. I don't buy the "cross training" explanation, you don't move your LT to guard during a game in the event of injury. I am quite sure I have never seen that maneuver.

Bill said Wolford played guard at age 35. I was merely pointing out that he started out there as a rookie.

I really don't care if Glenn is moved to guard. It would be an upgrade at the position. Too bad we don't have a LT as good as he is at the moment.

GO BILLS!!!

I don't know. Never paid attention to other teams' training camps.

That's what gets me. It's Training Camp. PRACTICE! One Frigging Day of PRACTICE when the HC wants to mix things up a bit to see what kind of depth he's going to have, and people are going ballistic. God forbid the coach should have some data to work with for contingency planning... or let players get some cross training for those contingency plans. Aye,yai,yai, yai!

I remember calling Donaho out when he had 13 OTs on the team. Mike Pucillo was the 13th, and they had only one center listed and NO Guards. Fourteen bodies and they couldn't name two of them as Guards. :doh: