Drew Brees leaves $3 tip on take-out order

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dinner crowd @ those prices may be more feast and famine for the server... Maybe there are more servers cutting in on the action... Also gott pay give tip to the host/hostess and bus staff... ??

Also why should the expectation be a 1:1 ratio?

If the diner breakfast person can do the work of the VIP service experience they can go get the job and make more.... But expect the questions to be harder than "is that link or patty"

Additionally - We pay a premium that often outpaces utility for the gap from good to the best almost anywhere. Service in a restaurant included.

So, I went into Famous Dave's (BBQ chain) to pick up a TOGO order and I strike up a conversation with the young, female cashier. She claims:

- 20-25% of people leave tips.

- They split all tips with the people working the TOGO station. At that moment it was three.

- They get paid "a little more" than the dining room servers, but LESS THAN MINIMUM WAGE.

This is only one data point and doesn't pertain to all other places that have TOGO. But it shows there are popular places that pay the TOGO staff less than minimum wage.

Now, I suppose I could have been a royal jackass and wave a Droid proudly displaying an electronic copy of a book by "Emily Post", dead for over a half-century, and tell her "Sorry, Emily Post says that I'm not obligated to tip you..., but could you include some extra sauce please?"

I chose to leave a tip instead. She smiled big and said thank you...

So, I went into Famous Dave's (BBQ chain) to pick up a TOGO order and I strike up a conversation with the young, female cashier. She claims:

- They split all tips with the people working the TOGO station. At that moment it was three.

- They get paid "a little more" than the dining room servers, but LESS THAN MINIMUM WAGE.

This is only one data point and doesn't pertain to all other places that have TOGO. But it shows there are popular places that pay the TOGO staff less than minimum wage.

Now, I suppose I could have been a royal jackass and wave a Droid proudly displaying an electronic copy of a book by "Emily Post", dead for over a half-century, and tell her "Sorry, Emily Post says that I'm not obligated to tip you..., but could you include some extra sauce please?"

You could have also used the Droid to snap a pic. Was she hot?

Interesting debate on tipping.

I'm curious about the other side of the coin.

What do you guys do about tipping when you receive less than adequate or perhaps terrible service?

Bad service warrants a bad tip. Which bad to me is still about 15%.

What do you guys do about tipping when you receive less than adequate or perhaps terrible service?

I used to work in the service industry so you have to really screw up to get less than 20%, I think the lowest I went was 10% once. That dining experience was a complete nightmare.

When I delivered pizza I was fairly indifferent about the whole thing but one guy really knew how to push my buttons. He would call 10-15 minutes before we closed. He lived on the very outskirts of our delivery zone, so it was a 40+ minute delivery. The best part, he would give you exact change for the order. Like counting out pennies in my hand and ****. I would usually back out half way down his lawn in 4 wheel drive tearing up as much as I could. Looking back, I think the guy was special needs and I probably should have been a little more tolerant. Maybe...

In many of those restaurants, it is the waiters/waitresses that put together your order. For example, we get take out a lot from two places down here (Sushi Rock and Flannigan's). At both of those places, the waitresses put together your order. They make less than minimum wage.

Nevertheless, I am not telling you or anyone else to tip. Do what you want. It is YOUR money. For me, it is the right thing to do.

That sounds like Fort Lauderdale area?

Yeah... It depends on the Chinese (or other) place. Right? The place I go to does NOT have a wait staff. I think they are obligated by law to pay everyone minimum?? What I mean is, there is no dine-in. Do people tip @ Little Caesars?

I see what SDS is saying. What kinda place did Brees go to? Anway, they will all tell you they make less, they want a tip. ;-) ;-)

When I delivered pizza I was fairly indifferent about the whole thing but one guy really knew how to push my buttons. He would call 10-15 minutes before we closed. He lived on the very outskirts of our delivery zone, so it was a 40+ minute delivery. The best part, he would give you exact change for the order. Like counting out pennies in my hand and ****. I would usually back out half way down his lawn in 4 wheel drive tearing up as much as I could. Looking back, I think the guy was special needs and I probably should have been a little more tolerant. Maybe...

See now, with delivery... Don't most places charge a "delivery fee?" Who gets that? Driver or establishment?

Ink: Can't they just make a policy about last delivery: Takes 20 mins to get there, then last delivery is 40 before closing?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

See now, with delivery... Don't most places charge a "delivery fee?" Who gets that? Driver or establishment?

Ink: Can't they just make a policy about last delivery: Takes 20 mins to get there, then last delivery is 40 before closing?

Depends on the establishment. The place I worked doesn't give a penny of that fee to the drivers but 90% of the customers think they do and give us less tips. Other local places do give that to the driver. Our owner would occasionally call or stop by right before close to ensure all phone orders were taken right up until the last minute before close. I didn't mind cuz I'm a cash hound but the 22 year old kids I'm closing with wanted nothing to go with working until 1 am when they could be leaving at 12:15.

I have to agree. Takeout, to me, is like buying food at the grocery. You don't tip the checkout girls at the supermarket.

PTR

Agreed, he didn't have to leave a tip. Granted he probably could have left a tip of 10 or 20$ because !@#$ it why not. But its take out 3$ to put food in a bag is more than enough. I have to side with the millionaire on this one and I am about as violently pro-tipping as anyone but take out isn't the same as someone serving you food.

Most places I got to basically have the host/hostesses handle the To Go. Basically they just bag it up and hand it to you. I like to leave a small tip about 5 or 10% (10 if its a big pain in the ass order) just to thank them for their extra effort. I don't order To Go from many places but the few times I have it hasn't seemed like they had a special staff for it likely just put on two hosts instead of one to handle the extra orders.

75 bucks in Chinese food is a hell of a lot of Chinese food... You know how many staples they probably went through to get those little food crates closed? OSHA should be notified!

Not when there are entrees on the menu that are 32.00 a piece. Of course few people probably actually looked up the restaurant prices.

Move over, Mother Teresa.

Tips on "To Go" orders, tips for people who make sandwiches at the deli, tips at coffee houses (where the coffee is 20x the cost of a cup you brew yourself). What's going on here?

I think that we should all put out "TIPS" jars in our workplace to try and make a little extra money. It seems that everyone deserves a tip.