So sick and tired of (most) local Buffalo media guys...

eball

Take a look at this article: Buffalo Bills Practice Report

From it I learned:

Hariston is still on the PUP list but rehabbing with the team on the sidelines

Keith Pough left practice with an injury but walked off on his own power

Kyle Williams and Chandler were held out of full-team work

Manuel connected on a bomb to Da'Rick Rogers (would love to know more about Rogers and the reps he's getting)

There were fights at practice today including our rookie WR Woods

Colin Brown seems to be leading contender for the LG position at this time (would love to know more though)

Troupe struggled and was flagged twiceP

Kicking competition heating up (would love to know Marrone's thoughts on carrying 2 kickers. God I hope not)

Fred Jackson looked strong showing no signs of last years injury

Kolb had a bad day but played against the 1st team defense

I learned all that in a nice concise article written by a Patriots reporter.

Meanwhile, the local gang is holed up in the bushes outside Mario Williams' house.

Exactly. I read the transcripts from the press conference today and was truly embarassed for the local media. They should publish the names of the people asking the questions so that I might avoid them and their stupidity if at all possible. How many times can you ask the same question? Do you really expect the answer to change? Simply horrible.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you ever even read JW his articles? I love em and he's had his share of scoops too. Fair and balanced comes to mind.

Edit: Coach Sal on your tag list too... I shouldnt have bothered with my reply I see.

Edited by bladiebla

Thanks very much. Appreciate the knocks and the support.

jw

John, if that was you bravo, and well done sir. :thumbsup:

Mario Williams signed the richest contract for a defensive player in NFL history.

Asking for for the status of that player is reasonable question. Posting a followup question to a BS answer is also a reasonable course of action. Please continue to do your job and stop giving this inept organization a free pass.

Edited by Dawgg

when the highest paid player on any team doesn't trust the team doctors enough, so that he goes out and gets a second opinion and the team slow plays the release of information regarding said injury and the second opinion...IT'S A BIG STORY !

also, glad to play up and or down to everyone's standards. always a pleasure.

jw

--- My only issue with the question was asking the same one a different way so many times --- it was clear after the 3rd time that Marrone didn't know or wasn't going to say --- move on . . . . it's like when political commentators ask a potential presidential candidate if they are running for president over and over --- again --- okay to ask once, twice maybe 3 times -- but enough

--- My only issue with the question was asking the same one a different way so many times --- it was clear after the 3rd time that Marrone didn't know or wasn't going to say --- move on . . . . it's like when political commentators ask a potential presidential candidate if they are running for president over and over --- again --- okay to ask once, twice maybe 3 times -- but enough

not sure what you mean by "same question."

-- Marrone was asked for an update on injury or report in hand. Told he had no contact with anyone regarding Mario.

-- Asked if he knew when Mario would return. Said he didn't know.

-- Asked if he was still being evaluated. He said yes.

-- Asked if it was odd he hadn't been contacted by Mario. He said they have a great relationship.

-- Asked if he had been excused by the team to leave campus. Of course.

Otherwise, he was asked questions on 17 other topics not involving Mario.

Otherwise, we can continue giving this team a pass if you'd like.

oh, and by the way, Mario's returned to campus, per AP.

http://bigstory.ap.o...liams-questions

jw

oh, and i've lost track, who does this make me a shill for now?

Edited by john wawrow

Have you ever even read JW his articles? I love em and he's had his share of scoops too. Fair and balanced comes to mind.

Edit: Coach Sal on your tag list too... I shouldnt have bothered with my reply I see.

Well apparently you didn't read my post since I specifically made a positive comment about Sal.

jw, perhaps you can explain why you had to ask the same question 5 times in 12 minutes? And why did an outside source break the story about a second opinion and it not being serious before the local media?

not sure what you mean by "same question."

-- Marrone was asked for an update on injury or report in hand. Told he had no contact with anyone regarding Mario.

-- Asked if he knew when Mario would return. Said he didn't know.

-- Asked if he was still being evaluated. He said yes.

-- Asked if it was odd he hadn't been contacted by Mario. He said they have a great relationship.

-- Asked if he had been excused by the team to leave campus. Of course.

Otherwise, he was asked questions on 17 other topics not involving Mario.

jw

-- I think you made my point --- after his first answer, I could have predicted the others that followed --- so, 5 questions on Mario and 17 non-Mario (that's almost a quarter of the questions) --- Again, it was legitimate to question and to probe -- I think you guys took it too far --- I listened to the press conference and after the first set of Mario questions --- I thought that was enough --- asked/answered (or not answered depending on your perspective) ----

Yeah, and the ESPN article was posted at 1:46PM, use your keen deductive skills to determine when I read it. Sounds like I hit a nerve and you work for the News in some capacity, or just missed the point. In case you did miss the point, I'll spell it out - our local sports reporting is one small notch above the British tabloids.

When I click on the Sports page right now, I'm greeted with a huge headline that says Mario's foot is ok. In this article Tim Graham asks the question, "So what was the big deal?"

That's hysterical Tim. Make a story out of nothing, blow it wayyyyy out of proportion, then shrug your shoulders and ask your audience "Hey, why all the drama?" I'm not a journalist, but isn't there some rule about not becoming the story or something like that? Or maybe I got it confused with the rule about not asking the same question five times and expecting a different answer?

This is foolish. You quoted an article stating it was an example of how to cover camp and panned the News for hiding in Mario's bushes. The article you quoted was written a half our before Mark Gaughn wrote a far more detailed coverage of camp for the day. Three hours later you posted your complaint that the News is not covering camp properly. You went BACK to the Espn post to paraphrase it. Then when the complete coverage in the News was pointed out to you, you rationalized by saying you read the other article 3 hours earlier.

I don't work for the News and beside reading it online have no relation at all. I just feel if you're going to rip their coverage in error, when its pointed out you were wrong, you could at least say, oops, missed that, I guess they are covering practice as well.

You were wrong and I'm pretty bored with pointing that out to you... Continue your crusade against the News if you'd like.

I see TG is an expert in the CBA now too (not). Claimed on Twitter that Players aren't allowed to seek 2nd opinions without club approval. Untrue. But hey, it's not like its his job to make sure he spouts out true things, just whatever happens to fit his narrative.

also, glad to play up and or down to everyone's standards. always a pleasure.

jw

John - I listened to the video and I have to say that Marrone acted appropriately under the circumstances (in my opinion)...Mario is one of 90+ guys at camp and although he is the highest paid, he is far from the most important. The team (as a whole) weighs on Marrone's mind; to ask him 5 different ways for updates on one player who sought a second opinion is over the top (in my opinion). I'm no journalist but I know when a guy has reached his tipping point in answering repetitive questions in my line of work.

Wawrow wasn't in the wrong, and he's one of the few good guys we have in this area. Maybe he could have backed off sooner, but he was acceptably professional about the situation.

Also, Buscaglia is a blatant plagiarizer and makes up loads of junk every draft. But, he's in such contrast to the crap on WGR that he comes across as refreshingly intelligent by staying on topic and doing his job. Capaccio is fine, although he'll be out of here soon.

what's funny about all this, is some fans actually get it. the best tweet of today, i think, was this:

Michael Necci@Michael_Necci 8h

Marrone doing his job protecting his player & team, and @john_wawrow doing his job in questioning. Keep it moving people.

funny, how this person seems to get it, while some here are busy trying to establish blame, a winner, a loser(s), and parse agendas.

geez, guess there's some people outside this board (i don't know if he is or not) who have a better perspective on how things work than here. but that's just my opinion.

jw

shillin for Michael Necci.

what's funny about all this, is some fans actually get it. the best tweet of today, i think, was this:

Marrone doing his job protecting his player & team, and @john_wawrow doing his job in questioning. Keep it moving people.

funny, how this person seems to get it, while some here are busy trying to establish blame, a winner, a loser(s), and parse agendas.

geez, guess there's some people outside this board (i don't know if he is or not) who have a better perspective on how things work than here. but that's just my opinion.

jw

--- BTW -- so, I'm clear, I didn't like the way Marrone handled the 5th Mario question that you asked -- he could have simply said "I don't have any additional information etc" -- and I don't like the fact that he didn't have more information on the situation --- or had it and wasn't willing to share it --- my issue, is that it was clear from the 1st question, what he was going to say (NOTHING) -- so, move on --- ask some other stuff that is more interesting than hearing Marrone say he doesn't know or repeat the same vague crap over and over ----

This is foolish. You quoted an article stating it was an example of how to cover camp and panned the News for hiding in Mario's bushes. The article you quoted was written a half our before Mark Gaughn wrote a far more detailed coverage of camp for the day. Three hours later you posted your complaint that the News is not covering camp properly. You went BACK to the Espn post to paraphrase it. Then when the complete coverage in the News was pointed out to you, you rationalized by saying you read the other article 3 hours earlier.

Correct. And when I check the News for your article, I still can't find it. It's buried somewhere under a small "view more" link while the main headlines are "Marrone Upset With Media" and "Marios Foot OK." And that is the whole damn point. Training camp should be the headline, not this tabloid axe-to-grind garbage about reporters clashing with the coach. Are you still not getting this?

you think this was bad. should've heard us pepper Mularkey over whether he was going to suspend Eric Moulds. to Mularkey's credit, he never lost his cool. answered every question with an essential no comment. and we asked about 13 questions in regards to Moulds.

jw

--- I think you guys did reveal that Marrone has a quicker "boiling point"; not sure what that has to do with football -- but might make for some interesting "side stories" in November if the team is out of it (again)--- after 13 years with no playoffs and 7 months without a real game -- I'm looking for football news on the Bills --- Dareus' critical 3rd season; will Gilmore be a lockdown corner; how is Kyle William's health; the rookie WR's; the QB etc. etc. ----

you think this was bad. should've heard us pepper Mularkey over whether he was going to suspend Eric Moulds. to Mularkey's credit, he never lost his cool. answered every question with an essential no comment. and we asked about 13 questions in regards to Moulds.

jw

Why did you stop at 13? surely he would have cracked sooner or later. :)

In all seriousness I like your articles and your posts, but the last question seemed (and I emphasize seemed because I can't know your intentions) like it was meant to get a rise out of him.

jw

I'll say this John, Michael Necci can spew conclusory observations all he wants and it serves one purpose - to make himself sound intelligent; unfortunately Michael is not a coach of a multimillion dollar franchise and has no idea what it is like to juggle 30 different issues on the third day of your first training camp. I don't think you should ease up...simply use better judgment, display your talents with in depth writing and enjoy your job (given the access you have to the team).

jw

It's bad enough I have to cringe watching the Bills play on Sunday, now I have to cringe watching the press conferences as well? In training camp?

I don't think you should ease up...simply use better judgment, display your talents with in depth writing and enjoy your job (given the access you have to the team).

who says i don't enjoy my job? where did i ever suggest that.

Ask away John. Your are the man and love having you on the wall.

See you at the opener.

I'll be there. can't wait to see you all back there again.

jw

Edited by john wawrow

jw

Yup - ultimately it is a nonissue from the get go on both sides. Can I blame the press for hyping it as an incident in the first place?

Thanks very much. Appreciate the knocks and the support.

jw

What is bothering is this, and I would rather ask you directly than rely on unreliable heresay: I have read that you were still ripping at Marrone on Twitter well after the presser. Is that true? (No, I'm not going to get a twitter account, thank you).

Thank you.

To me, and I'm not trying to be critical, the bottom line with this story is that if the Coach had nothing to say about the Mario issue, move on to one of the 30 other story lines going on at camp. That would have been more constructive for everyone involved. It's really that simple. You knew you weren't getting anything out of Marrone on that particular topic, so reel the line back in and ask other legitimate questions that will be graced with an answer.

Edited by Lt. Dan's Revenge

To me, and I'm not trying to be critical, the bottom line with this story is that if the Coach had nothing to say about the Mario issue, move on to one of the 30 other story lines going on at camp. That would have been more constructive for everyone involved. It's really that simple. You knew you weren't getting anything out of Marrone on that particular topic, so reel the line back in and ask other legitimate questions that will be graced with an answer.

--- Exactly how I feel

On a wider level, this really shouldn't or normally wouldn't get back to us- atleast over something so trivial like 5 questions and corresponding no answers early in camp. On some level the coach-media relationship is naturally adversarial and the two sides are feeling each other out and establishing the dynamics that will follow for years to come. Marrone gave a "I'm in charge of these events and I don't care if you want scoops" and the press pushed back with "that's nice but were not going to stop doing our jobs."

And timmah was timmah

Edited by NoSaint

What is bothering is this, and I would rather ask you directly than rely on unreliable heresay: I have read that you were still ripping at Marrone on Twitter well after the presser. Is that true? (No, I'm not going to get a twitter account, thank you).

Thank you.

i'll let you be the judge in regards to whether i was, as you put it, "ripping at Marrone" earlier in the day.

i posted a Tweet on my Twitter account in reference to Marrone's comment from a day earlier that he was hesitant to reveal too much about Mario's injury in fear of breaking any FERPA regulations. I merely wrote, and I quote:

"for those curious, coach Marrone's fear of violating FERPA laws in revealing Mario injury info applies only to colleges."

that was all.

in fact, an hour later, I tweeted this, which may come as a surprise to some in how positive it was:

"#Bills QB EJ continues to show improvement in hitting throws he struggled with in minicamp. Nice out to Stevie."

jw

oddly enough, there are those who would then proceed for villifying the media for being too soft on the Bills in failing to get answers in regards to Mario Williams. ... we just can't win, can't we. ... as for your suggestion of 30 other story lines going on in camp, i dare say that there are few story lines that involve a player who has a history of injury trouble and was hailed as a franchise saviour, essentially holding all of Western New York breathless for two-plus days before signing a 6-year, $100 million contract.

you're right. the Crezdon Butler piece was more pressing here.

jw

They deserve each other - bad buffalo journalists, equally bad bills coaches players and administration

you're back. cool. good timing.

jw