Home Depot vs Lowes

Bufcomments

I'm in the middle of bathroom remodel project and during the last week and a half have been to both HD and Lowes for supplies.

What started out as a simple toilet repair lead to gutting out the floor of my bathroom. Maybe ill post some pics if asked.

But my question is, and maybe this should be a poll question, which do you prefer? Home Depot or Lowes??

I finding out the prices are basically the same at both places.

To me I like Lowes at tad better because that's is where I got the most help so far, and trust me I need help especially with the plumbing .

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in home improvement places lots and it's definitely Lowe's. Definitely.

Way better customer service especially WRT returns. Way faster. A very simple veteran 10% discount. Better organized and cleaner. Also has better wood quality, but I will say that HD has a more varied selection of mouldings.

I'm in the middle of bathroom remodel project and during the last week and a half have been to both HD and Lowes for supplies.

What started out as a simple toilet repair lead to gutting out the floor of my bathroom. Maybe ill post some pics if asked.

But my question is, and maybe this should be a poll question, which do you prefer? Home Depot or Lowes??

I finding out the prices are basically the same at both places.

To me I like Lowes at tad better because that's is where I got the most help so far, and trust me I need help especially with the plumbing .

Same with my experience - largely the same level of contractor-grade stuff, but Lowes is more helpful. Generally, though, I don't need help with home improvement, and the nearest Lowes is some 15 miles away (whereas I could almost walk to the three closest Home Depots).

When HD first opened, their employees were very well versed in their product and 'how to'. I know a few people who were among their first employees and they went away for a month for training to learn specifics about the area they would be working in. HD also employed many local craftsmen with significant experience in chosen 'how to' fields.

Now? Any schlepper of the street who wants a job, dons the orange smock and is in aisle 4 tomorrow..

Much like Cuglablasta, I've had a few experiences w/ "special orders" & such w/ HD that were VERY bad. It seems that they just DGAF about customer svc. If it's something in the store, no matter - prices, selection, quality etc both stores have advantages & disadvantages. But if it's a special order, or something where good customer svc might be valuable, HD would have to yield a SIGNIFICANT savings in order for me to risk dealing w/ them. FWIW, Lowes is much closer to my house, so they're my default, which is fine w/ me.

Wow, you guys have some crappy Home Depots near you. The one I frequent is stellar. Helpful from the moment you step in the door. Returns are a breeze, and I if I need a big unexpected purchase (ceramic tile, appliances), they'll get me zero interest on virtually anything by just asking. Makes it easier to do improvements I couldn't otherwise lay out all the cash for up front.

That said, I've been to the Lowes a few times (it's another 15 miles away) because while they're basically the same thing, they have different offerings on grills, ceiling fans, etc., and in the end, I go to HD because it's closest. If a Lowes opened a mile closer, I'd go to them.

Lastly, when I just need regular home improvement supplies, I go to our local family-owned hardware store. No idea how the hell he stays open, but he'll limp around helping you find a light switch cover or penny nails, which are never in the same place twice.

Bought a dishwasher from Lowes. A ten cent nylon wheel failed on the upper rack. Went back to Lowes and got handed a card with a 1-800 number. As far as major appliances go, there is no service after the sale! You're on your own. I would never buy a major appliance from either of them.

Lowes, in my opinion and experience, has customer service far superior to that of HD. I occasionally go to HD if it's more convenient based on my current location, or if they have a good sale (they had 4 bags of black mulch for $10, which I couldn't pass up). But 9/10 times, I'll go to Lowes because I know the layout of the store better and the service is so much better.

The HD near me is always a zoo. Getting in and out of there is a project in itself (though the one in Indio, CA was better). The few times I've been to a Lowes it seemed better organized and easier to navigate but too small a sample size to say for sure.

The HD near me is always a zoo. Getting in and out of there is a project in itself (though the one in Indio, CA was better). The few times I've been to a Lowes it seemed better organized and easier to navigate but too small a sample size to say for sure.

Isn't it illegal for New Canaan residents to do their own home repairs and maintenance? Aren't they required to use outside contractors so that the property values can remain high?

:D

Isn't it illegal for New Canaan residents to do their own home repairs and maintenance? Aren't they required to use outside contractors so that the property values can remain high?

If you goad him into talking about unions, this thread will be tossed to PPP so fast it'll make your eyes water.

Seriously, when I was installing my new water softener 5 years ago... I read in the stall specs that in Mass, one can't intsall it themselves... WTF! In California, the owner of the water softener has to put it into "salt saving" mode, ie: water saving... What? They have "Softener Police" going door to door in El Segundo and Worcester? ;-)

Seriously, when I was installing my new water softener 5 years ago... I read in the stall specs that in Mass, one can't intsall it themselves... WTF! In California, the owner of the water softener has to put it into "salt saving" mode, ie: water saving... What? They have "Softener Police" going door to door in El Segundo and Worcester? ;-)

Let the Mass holes have hodd woddah in Woostah. Who cares?