I hope Dustin Hopkins wins the kicking job

If he does make the team, I hereby nominate "Rain Man" as his official nickname. Works with both his name and the fact that his booming kicks will bring down the rain.

Not bad.

And as much as much as I like and respect Lindel the youngster will probably take the competition IMO.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel the same. But I feel like you are better off having experience at that position.

I never understood drafting a kicker. There are only 32 kickers who need a job; there are enough options out there without wasting a draft pick.

If a kicker can win us a few games with a 50+ yard boot...I'm OK with him being drafted 6th rd. Just think, one of those wins may very well push into the playoffs. What's that 6th rd draft choice worth then? If any other late round draft choice has game impacting ability, I'm sure No one would be against the pick. Just my .02

He was good in Tootsie, but I prefer The Graduate, myself.

Outbreak and Rain Man was his best work IMO

CBF

Don't forget Midnight Cowboy and Papillon. Those were awesome as well.

Gotta go with this one. Ratso Rizzo? All-time great character. Incredible movie.

I nominate this to be my personal Byrd thread.

I think you have to use the word "hereby" when you're doing that.

Also I'm told we can't do this till next week. Something about odd and even weeks.

Obviously they thought a lot about this kid if they drafted him. My guess is that all they need to see in training camp and preseason is if he is anywhere near Lindell in terms of accuracy and distance. If it's a close call, you probably have to go with the kid. It's unfortunate, since I think Lindell has been a great kicker for us, but he's at the age when you need to grab someone new if a good one comes around.

If a kicker can win us a few games with a 50+ yard boot...I'm OK with him being drafted 6th rd. Just think, one of those wins may very well push into the playoffs. What's that 6th rd draft choice worth then? If any other late round draft choice has game impacting ability, I'm sure No one would be against the pick. Just my .02

Also, our Kick Return game was pretty average to pathetic and that falls a lot on the kicker....Again, if the Bills use analytics, I think Hopkins will make it as the margin may not be very different.

Watching Janikowski really turned my thinking around. The combination of the league rules, and the defenses designed to operate under those rules, seem to allow lots of "easy" yards in the middle of the field. If you have a kicker that can consistently hit 50-55 yarders, it can cause bad things man.

Edited by Marauder'sMicro

What this thread really needs are some eball jokes...

<This is an automated response>

Dustin Hopkins would be a fine kicker for the Buffalo Bills. And Dustin Hoffman is a fine actor.

I'm back and forth on this one. Lindell has experience, a better kicking percentage inside the 40, and is one of the nicest guys on the team. Hopkins would be a waste of a 6th rounder if we don't keep him, has great range, has the better percentage outside the 40, kicks into the endzone, is the highest-scoring kicker in NCAA history, (466 points), has been clutch in big games, and has a career long of 56 yards, kicked a 60-yarder in practice, and has longevity on his side. Remember Janikowski had a rocky beginning.

So Astro, have you read what you wrote and wondered (as I do) why you are at all conflicted??

You make a pretty strong case to go with Hopkins.

Lindell has been in decline and it showed last year - the Bills just grabbed the top college kicker - keep the kid and don't look back.

Remember when we got Lindell? Holmgren was reluctant to re-sign him because of his shaky accuracy. We got a great kicker in Lindell. Maybe it's time to move on and live with the new kid's shaky accuracy and let him grow. By the time we're in the SuperBowl again, it will pay to have a great kicker. I think we can all agree on that.