Johnny Football: Drinking problem?

It's not the drinking here, it's the drinking that made him unable to fulfill a really easy set of responsibilities at what is probably the most important professional opportunity he is going to have that doesn't directly involve his college team. The Manning family event is huge and they are pretty close to NFL royalty. Show up, share some tips on mechanics or whatever, pose for some pics and sign autographs. If you can't do that, you were pretty screwed up the night before. To be unable to see the value in attendance and doing his part really raises red flags. He just lost a couple of million dollars, I am betting. Being the best QB in the draft isn't necessarily the ticket to a top five 1st round contract, as this past year showed.

and then to be at the bar on the night you had to leave....

ive long been cautioning that the kid is a potential disaster to the "tank our season to get manziel" crowd.... but... well... we will see. as always id love to be proven wrong, as id much rather see guys succeed.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@CBSSports

Johnny Manziel reportedly apologized to the Texas A&M coaching staff for his recent behavior. http://cbsprt.co/Man...ogizes …

See? He's already learning how to be a responsible adult in contemporary America. Issuing the "If I offended anyone" apology. I assume he's booked on Good Morning America and The View for tomorrow.

It's not the drinking here, it's the drinking that made him unable to fulfill a really easy set of responsibilities at what is probably the most important professional opportunity he is going to have that doesn't directly involve his college team. The Manning family event is huge and they are pretty close to NFL royalty. Show up, share some tips on mechanics or whatever, pose for some pics and sign autographs. If you can't do that, you were pretty screwed up the night before. To be unable to see the value in attendance and doing his part really raises red flags. He just lost a couple of million dollars, I am betting. Being the best QB in the draft isn't necessarily the ticket to a top five 1st round contract, as this past year showed.

No doubt this is true. What GM would take this guy to be the leader/face of his franchise, with all the pressure that entails?

Those are some expensive drinks he is enjoying.

?? Really?

It's a rant. You, of all people, should know one when you see one. I don't know Manziel from Adam. But as arguably the most recognized name in NCAAF right now, I'm just hoping against hope his much publicized illegal activity is the camel back breaking straw that creates all new protocol for the privilege of a college scholarship and invitation to the pros.

Clearly it was a rant, thanks.

The bolded part I don't get. Because this kid went out and had a few too many pops and wasn't able to get in line the next morning to felate the Great Archie Manning and his awesome offsrping, the NCAA will create an "all new protocol" for...what? Giving out scholarships? An "invitation to the pros"?

Hmm.....I would say a great spot for him would be....Manning's own Denver Broncos, where half the coaching staff is currently suspended for..... drunk driving! The Broncos could really use Johhny--he could step in for Manning after yet another Peyton MAnning first round playoff loss AND he could teach the coaching staff about the virtues of using a designated driver!

As for the "much publicized illegal activity", if you are going to take away athletic scholarships for underage drinking, fighting and fake IDs, you should take it away all finacial aid for the privilege of attending college to all students committing these heinous crimes. I mean, right?

Edited by Mr. WEO

According to the Texas A&M University Web Site his birthday is Dec. 6, 1992. He's not even 21. He's already been bused for underage drinking twice. Do bars and liquor stores in College Station not card?

"Busted for underage drinking". Indeed. The fact that this is even a crime, and that 18 year old adults can't take a legal drink is a disgrace.

The 'forbidden fruit' aspect of this is the the heart of the problem.

"Busted for underage drinking". Indeed. The fact that this is even a crime, and that 18 year old adults can't take a legal drink is a disgrace.

Totally agree. Funny how you can put your life on the line in combat at 18, but can buy a bleepin beer.

Mr. WEO, no, not specifically due to missing the Great Archie's camp. My point is the Face of college football -with a nickname to match- missed an agreed upon meeting with League connotations because he was breaking the law the night before. This, on the heels of a highly touted college player -with cover ups for like indiscriminate actions- who, as a pro, is now in jail for murder charges. I see this as a great opportunity to right the wrongs that have been allowed to manifest themselves through the years to despicable levels now.

The Broncos FO issues is a great point, IMO. I think the discipline doled out is extraordinarily harsh and sets a new tone for what is expected going forward. The culprits could argue this level of consequence wasn't issued before for the same violation, but they're (Broncos) not going to tolerate any more negative actions to their shield -and the League.

As for underage drinking in colleges, I'm old enough to remember when 18 was the legal age and the 'glory stories' of college life at that time still resonate (away from home for the 1st time and indulging in what had previously been adult entertainment). Fair or not, it's now illegal under the age of 21 and LE/Campus security have been very slow to enforce it.

Again, just my hope that serious changes are coming for the PRIVILAGE of playing football after High School.

I doubt it will, though..

He never declared, which simply means he was ripe for the taking by a shrewd team.

Maybe you are right, but it is my understanding he did not have the minimum years in college or age. Not eligible to be drafted.

Because this kid went out and had a few too many pops and wasn't able to get in line the next morning to felate the Great Archie Manning and his awesome offsrping, the NCAA will create an "all new protocol" for...what? Giving out scholarships? An "invitation to the pros"?

Hmm.....I would say a great spot for him would be....Manning's own Denver Broncos, where half the coaching staff is currently suspended for..... drunk driving! The Broncos could really use Johhny--he could step in for Manning after yet another Peyton MAnning first round playoff loss AND he could teach the coaching staff about the virtues of using a designated driver!

Exaggerate much? First and foremost, the kid committed to doing the Manning camp. If he didn't want to do it, he shouldn't have agreed to do it. Following through on one's commitments is hardly equivalent to blowing the people to whom you have made such a commitment, regardless of who they are. It wasn't a situation where he was less than enthusiastic, or somehow not effective in carrying out his duties. The guy got loaded and went AWOL. Really? Is it so hard to see the concern one might have for his lack of respect, courtesy and even professionalism with regard to how he'll behave in the future?

And really? Half the coaching staff of the Broncos suspended for DWI? So that would be what? 10 or more coaches given a typical coaching staff? How did I miss that? I am aware of two personnel executives suspended for DWI, but surely you couldn't be talking about them given they are actually NOT coaches and even if they were would not get anywhere near 50% of the staff in any event.

Edited by BuffaloBob

Exaggerate much? First and foremost, the kid committed to doing the Manning camp. If he didn't want to do it, he shouldn't have agreed to do it. Following through on one's commitments is hardly equivalent to blowing the people to whom you have made such a commitment, regardless of who they are. It wasn't a situation where he was less than enthusiastic, or somehow not effective in carrying out his duties. The guy got loaded and went AWOL. Really? Is it so hard to see the concern one might have for his lack of respect, courtesy and even professionalism with regard to how he'll behave in the future?

And really? Half the coaching staff of the Broncos suspended for DWI? So that would be what? 10 or more coaches given a typical coaching staff? How did I miss that? I am aware of two personnel executives suspended for DWI, but surely you couldn't be talking about them given they are actually NOT coaches and even if they were would not get anywhere near 50% of the staff in any event.

Come on man! Why let the facts get in the way of a good narrative? :lol:

The fact that this is even a crime, and that 18 year old adults can't take a legal drink is a disgrace.

There area lot of stupid laws in this country. Quite a few of them deal with 'forbidden fruit'.

Maybe you are right, but it is my understanding he did not have the minimum years in college or age. Not eligible to be drafted.

Dude, you're not paying close enough attention.

Mr. WEO, no, not specifically due to missing the Great Archie's camp. My point is the Face of college football -with a nickname to match- missed an agreed upon meeting with League connotations because he was breaking the law the night before. This, on the heels of a highly touted college player -with cover ups for like indiscriminate actions- who, as a pro, is now in jail for murder charges. I see this as a great opportunity to right the wrongs that have been allowed to manifest themselves through the years to despicable levels now.

The Broncos FO issues is a great point, IMO. I think the discipline doled out is extraordinarily harsh and sets a new tone for what is expected going forward. The culprits could argue this level of consequence wasn't issued before for the same violation, but they're (Broncos) not going to tolerate any more negative actions to their shield -and the League.

As for underage drinking in colleges, I'm old enough to remember when 18 was the legal age and the 'glory stories' of college life at that time still resonate (away from home for the 1st time and indulging in what had previously been adult entertainment). Fair or not, it's now illegal under the age of 21 and LE/Campus security have been very slow to enforce it.

Again, just my hope that serious changes are coming for the PRIVILAGE of playing football after High School.

I doubt it will, though..

Sorry, given all of the actual evil that some of these guys do in college, It's impossible for me get up for a college sophomore getting drunk. What exactly is the NCAA going to punish him for? That camp has no pro ramifications for JM. All that matters is whether he puts up the same numbers this year as last and absolutely no one in the NFL will care whether he got lit the night before the Mannings' star making punt, pass, and kick week.

I don't remember you geeting your fur up over Da'rick Rogers---here's a guy who committed to Georgia, then he left them in the dust for Tennessee, where he failed 3 drug tersts and was booted off the team. Manziel got drunk on a night on the town.

If you want the NCAA to ban and test for alcohol for players under 21 then just come out and say it. I think it's nuts. These are kids. He will learn his lessons as he enters his second year of college ball!

Yeah, obviously an exaggeration--you got me. Still, the point is that 2 members of a coaching staff (I will remind you that these are the adults, not 19 or 20 year old undergrads) on the same NFL team staff are bsuted the same week. It is silly to jump on JM as Chnadler did for drinking before his commitment to the mannings (a decision I'm sure this child regrets).

As for exaggerating, he didn't go AWOL. He was present for some of the activities, but could not finish al lthe scheduled activities. The camp itself denies he was sent home hungover and Peyton Manning has no problem with the guy missing out.

As for commitment, as an example, I mentioned Rogers, who committed to Georgia, then changed his mind. Then he committed to Tenn, but couldn't keep clean and was dumped. Now he's committed the Bills, right?

Holy schitt...a 20 year old drinking in bars....DOOOOOOOMED!!!!!!

That's not really the point at all.

"Busted for underage drinking". Indeed. The fact that this is even a crime, and that 18 year old adults can't take a legal drink is a disgrace. The 'forbidden fruit' aspect of this is the the heart of the problem.

Nor is this.

The point is not that the kid went out drinking or that he isn't legally permitted to so.

The point is that there's a possibility that the kid has a drinking problem.

He's previously been arrested for disorderly conduct and possessing a fake ID after a night of drinking and now this chapter where he was unable to fulfill a rather simple obligation that had very little cost and pretty good benefit.

It's particularly telling that he went out drinking after the Mannings sent him home.

The kid needs to straighten his act out.

Due to monopoly business practices by the NCAA and NFL that would crumble like a Chips Ahoy in any court of law if a team and player had the guts to stand up.