Johnny Football: Drinking problem?

This is so stupid. Oh God forbid he misses a stupid camp with the holy Mannings, he must have a problem. Give me a break, until he starts missing actual A&M practices or underperforming in games people should stop getting their panties in a bunch. He's 20 and he's one of the most famous people in all of Texas let alone the US, let the kid enjoy himself!!!

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is so stupid. Oh God forbid he misses a stupid camp with the holy Mannings, he must have a problem. Give me a break, until he starts missing actual A&M practices or underperforming in games people should stop getting their panties in a bunch. He's 20 and he's one of the most famous people in all of Texas let alone the US, let the kid enjoy himself!!!

its amazing how personal some people take the idea that his behavior has red flags, whether or not they end up manifesting into anything else.

and i kind of question how much the kid is really enjoying himself. im sure hes having fun with the perks, but it seems the headaches that come with it might really get to him. really that part i dont know, as i dont know him personally, so its all speculation but... he strikes me as having some inner conflict there even before the "cant wait to leave A&M" tweet... the idea of being johnny football just seems like it might be wearing on him a bit.

like ive said a few times though, hes young and guys get over it all the time. itll be interesting to see how/if he matures.

Edited by NoSaint

I love all the posts that say well i did it what's the big deal. He's not you. He's not an average 20 year old. He is an athlete and a very famous one at that. He is looking at potentially millions of dollars. Millions of people know his name and face. I'm sure that is completely different then your circumstance of being a no name college student hoping to gain an entry level job after graduation.

As others have said this speaks directly to irresponsibility and poor decision making. He is not handling his fame well. Is it too late for him? That is up to him to decide. However if he has another record setting year some team will draft him high and pin their hopes on him. Right now his .02 head would concern me greatly. Does he want to be Peyton manning or Ryan leaf? Right now his ship isn't headed in the right direction...

His judgement or lack thereof isn't more egregious because he has more to lose on an absolute basis. A typical no-name college kid also has much to lose on a relative basis.

Like every other sports news story out at this time of year... much ado about nothing.

Not a Manziel fan myself, but this is nothing.

The over-scrutinization of every little thing now that we are in the Internet age of Social Media and the 24 hour news cycle is just too much.

I fart in the general direction of this story.

Nope he is just an overhyped punk that was given too much too soon. Teams will shut his ass down this year and that along with his ****ty attitude and only being 6'0 with an average arm is going to cost him come draft day.

Texas A&M went from a team that choked with a 1st rd talent at QB in an inferior conference to the best team in the country at the end of last season. He was voted the best player in college football so I don't get how could he be over hyped. He was given way too much by earning the starting job in the best conference and helping turn an average at best team from an inferior conference to an elite team in the best conference.

How he translates to the league is up for debate. With guys like RG3, Wilson, Kaepernick as dual threat I think it bodes well for Manziel.

its amazing how personal some people take the idea that his behavior has red flags, whether or not they end up manifesting into anything else.

and i kind of question how much the kid is really enjoying himself. im sure hes having fun with the perks, but it seems the headaches that come with it might really get to him. really that part i dont know, as i dont know him personally, so its all speculation but... he strikes me as having some inner conflict there even before the "cant wait to leave A&M" tweet... the idea of being johnny football just seems like it might be wearing on him a bit.

like ive said a few times though, hes young and guys get over it all the time. itll be interesting to see how/if he matures.

I don't take it personal, I just think its ridiculous how all these people sit on their high horses judging this kid when he hasn't really done anything wrong except for maybe not being a goodie two shoes dork like Andrew Luck.

I admit I'm trying to play a bit of devil's advocate here, but quite honestly, people are looking at his potential earning power as a reason for him not to do the same things as a normal 20 year old. I fully recognize that this is a completely rational and logical stance to hold. It's essentially telling a young man who is wildly popular that he cannot use his social status for the activities he apparently enjoys - the same activities that most young men his age enjoy - because it might hurt his professional career. It's excellent career advice, but I think we're seeing people react to the question of whether or not it's fair, or a reasonable demand to put on someone his age.

For now, I'm not convinced his behavior is indicative of a systemic problem. Put another way, I imagine his on-field performance will be the only thing determining the trajectory of his professional career. I've been wrong before, though. Call me crazy but I'm surprised there haven't been more issues with the constant microscope on him and the availability of unfiltered media like twitter. There does exist a tradeoff between enjoying one's life and behaving in a manner that will yield maximum earnings, despite life circumstance. (Respectfully, I would also hesitate to make assumptions about the circumstances of posters during their time in college. Some surprising experiences have been had by many on tbd.)

I'm not entirely sure if I have an end point. I guess I'm just desperate for Bills news and this is one of the only threads going :) EDIT: although, sadly, this is not even Bills news.

Edited by NickelCity

His judgement or lack thereof isn't more egregious because he has more to lose on an absolute basis. A typical no-name college kid also has much to lose on a relative basis.

My point is the his lack of judgement will or could be much more costly than the posters who state I did it too so what. I get that he's a kid with the world in his palm. That just drives home the point even more that he isn't living the same life as posters on this board.

Everyone's reality is their own. Nobody cares that I did it - it wasn't newsworthy. I honestly don't care that he does it. That's not to say though that the people who will decide to cut him million dollar checks and make him the face of their billion dollar brand might share my view. His decision making or lack there of could potentially be much more costly than mine.

My point is the his lack of judgement will or could be much more costly than the posters who state I did it too so what. I get that he's a kid with the world in his palm. That just drives home the point even more that he isn't living the same life as posters on this board.

Everyone's reality is their own. Nobody cares that I did it - it wasn't newsworthy. I honestly don't care that he does it. That's not to say though that the people who will decide to cut him million dollar checks and make him the face of their billion dollar brand might share my view. His decision making or lack there of could potentially be much more costly than mine.

I understood your point the first time and responded. You've stated the exact same thing again with different wording. Do you need me to copy and paste my previous rebuttal?

When I was a more or less typical no-name college kid, I spent many nights in bars underage. I had plenty of mornings I missed because of hangovers, and I got to know a few toilet bowls on a face-to-face basis, too. Classes skipped because some buddies decided to get a case of beer and so on. But on the few occasions when I had a chance to engage with a group of folks who I hoped would become my professional peers, I kept it straight. Job fairs, volunteer opportunities, meet an HR rep, and so on: I stayed sober for a few extra hours, even on the weekend. I did this even when I was 18 and 19. I don't see his drinking as a big deal. I see the inability to identify a time when he should abstain for 36 hours as a bigger deal.

When I was a more or less typical no-name college kid, I spent many nights in bars underage. I had plenty of mornings I missed because of hangovers, and I got to know a few toilet bowls on a face-to-face basis, too. Classes skipped because some buddies decided to get a case of beer and so on. But on the few occasions when I had a chance to engage with a group of folks who I hoped would become my professional peers, I kept it straight. Job fairs, volunteer opportunities, meet an HR rep, and so on: I stayed sober for a few extra hours, even on the weekend. I did this even when I was 18 and 19. I don't see his drinking as a big deal. I see the inability to identify a time when he should abstain for 36 hours as a bigger deal.

You've correctly identified which is the "bigger deal", but now its time to explore just how important being late to volunteer at a football camp is in the grand scheme of things.

Well, there's a difference between the person who demonstrates a hearty enjoyment of alcohol before he's drafted and the person who demonstrates the same after he's drafted.

Perhaps I should have said, "For his own sake, the kid needs to straighten his act out"

joe-namath.jpg

Edited by Corp000085

The guys nickname is Johnny Football. He beats the number one team in the country and goes on to be the first freshmen to win the Hiesman award. He has everyone and their brother blowing smoke up his kiester. So he is not handling it perfectly, so what.

You are all kidding yourself he is not th enumber one pick when he comes out if his play on the field is the same as last year.

IF he plays like he did last year all this is forgotten about.

Lets see how Johnny Football does during the season before we pass judgement on the guy.

The guys nickname is Johnny Football. He beats the number one team in the country and goes on to be the first freshmen to win the Hiesman award. He has everyone and their brother blowing smoke up his kiester. So he is not handling it perfectly, so what.

You are all kidding yourself he is not th enumber one pick when he comes out if his play on the field is the same as last year.

IF he plays like he did last year all this is forgotten about.

Lets see how Johnny Football does during the season before we pass judgement on the guy.

It will be very interesting if he and Clowney live up to expectations next year. There are also several qbs that will push him to be the first qb selected let alone the first player.

This is why these little transgressions are a big deal. Manzel is smaller than the "prototype qb" so even if he does well again next year he isn't a lock to go #1.

In the grand scheme this on its own as an isolated incident isn't huge. The trend of negative publicity and bone headed decision making is starting to add up and could be the difference between being #1 overall and not even being the #1 qb taken.

So, typical young person. The only thing that sets him apart is the arrest. Disorderly conduct? Guilty as charged. Fake ID? Guilty as charged. Night of drinking? Guilty as charged X 100. Only difference is he was arrested, I wasn't. I turned out OK (depending on who you ask). He may end up crashing & burning, but it's doubtful. As far as a successful NFL player...I don't see it (but I am anti A&M). I'll have to see more games.

He's not just another 20 year old. Section 122 speaks for me on this matter.

I love all the posts that say well i did it what's the big deal. He's not you. He's not an average 20 year old. He is an athlete and a very famous one at that. He is looking at potentially millions of dollars. Millions of people know his name and face. I'm sure that is completely different then your circumstance of being a no name college student hoping to gain an entry level job after graduation.

As others have said this speaks directly to irresponsibility and poor decision making. He is not handling his fame well. Is it too late for him? That is up to him to decide. However if he has another record setting year some team will draft him high and pin their hopes on him. Right now his .02 head would concern me greatly. Does he want to be Peyton manning or Ryan leaf? Right now his ship isn't headed in the right direction...

EXACTLY.

For some reason a lot of people posting here are having a hard time distinguishing between a 20 year old BMOC going out drinking on any given night and the same person doing it before a big event (being a celebrity instructor at The Manning Passing Academy is a big deal for all involved) and after being kicked out from said big event.

The guy does something to draw significant negative attention to himself and his response to that is to go out drinking?

I was an irresponsible partyer too but Johnny's actions are a little bit more significant than just going out for a little fun.

He couldn't take ONE night off?

He possibly has a drinking problem.

joe-namath.jpg

Exactly.

He was known as Broadway Joe, not Hackberry Joe.