The Realization of Getting Old

ajzepp

Sometimes in class I think back to when I was learning how to add and read Go Dog, Go and know I'm into Algebra, Pre-Calc, and analyzing the most boring of books. Not sure if it should make me feel old, but it does.

:censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes in class I think back to when I was learning how to add and read Go Dog, Go and know I'm into Algebra, Pre-Calc, and analyzing the most boring of books. Not sure if it should make me feel old, but it does.

And before you know it you'll be having sex for the first time.

Turned 42 back in January. I've been on a pretty regular walking regimen for about a year. A lap around my neighborhood is .75 miles. A couple weeks ago, I thought I'd run it once around. I made it without stopping and felt pretty damn good about myself. Dreams of 5K races and 1/2 marathons were running through my mind.

Then I woke up then next morning. And the next 14 mornings after that. My left leg felt like it was stabbed repeatedly with a dull butter knife, then stomped on for good measure.

I don't anticipate ever running again. Ever.

The handle, this post, it's all a bit, right?

I swear, the instant I turned 40 my eyesight started to go. I'm 46 now and I can't read anything within two feet of my eyes without reading glasses.

It's amazing how much longer it takes to get in shape, or how quickly it takes to lose it once you're in decent shape.

The handle, this post, it's all a bit, right?

Nope; if i was that much of a creep, why would I be here with a bunch of old dudes who are passionate (more or less) for this snakebitten team!? :P

It's amazing how much longer it takes to get in shape, or how quickly it takes to lose it once you're in decent shape.

Psh, that still happens with me. 3 months of conditioning with baseball, got to a under 7 minute mile. Then we had a winter break for 2 weeks and i went back up to an 8 minute mile if I pushed myself.

Edited by Teen Insight

Nope; if i was that much of a creep, why would I be hear with a bunch of old dudes who are passionate (more or less) for this snakebitten team!? :P

Other than Beerball, I have no idea who you could be talking about.

So for the last half an hour, I've been on the toilet. What's the big deal, you may ask? I mean, 30 min is about right anyway...time enough to get comfortable, start the pre-dump activities, find the appropriate reading material, get in a good power wipe at the end, and then hit the soap and water. Well, the problem in this instance is that for the last 20 of those 30 mins, I was asleep. I've dozed off in some odd places before, but the toilet?? I woke up and my legs were both completely asleep, so I had to shift my butt side to side to let the blood flow get back in there...then I stood up just in time for the pins and needles to hit, which is always fun.

I turned41 in May, and I guess I was sort of waiting for that one important moment that would just epitomize my transition to the "later" years of my life, and I think this may have been it. Anyone else have a story of when it first became clear that they'd hit the point of no return?

I'm just wondering how you didn't fall off? :lol:;)

Turned 42 back in January. I've been on a pretty regular walking regimen for about a year. A lap around my neighborhood is .75 miles. A couple weeks ago, I thought I'd run it once around. I made it without stopping and felt pretty damn good about myself. Dreams of 5K races and 1/2 marathons were running through my mind.

Then I woke up then next morning. And the next 14 mornings after that. My left leg felt like it was stabbed repeatedly with a dull butter knife, then stomped on for good measure.

I don't anticipate ever running again. Ever.

I started running in January, thinking I can do my first 5K. Well, 4 months into the training I quit. I have never had so much lower back pain as I do now. I used to be able to take up any new sport w/o any problems. :thumbdown:

Started playing tennis back in 1999. Was one of the best players in my class. I quit for about 5 years then started up again. Had a very difficult time keeping up with the younger people in classed. Sucked big time. :lol:

I don't remember who said it first (might have been Darin), but you know you're old when the Playmate of the Month was born after you graduated high school.

So for the last half an hour, I've been on the toilet. What's the big deal, you may ask? I mean, 30 min is about right anyway...time enough to get comfortable, start the pre-dump activities, find the appropriate reading material, get in a good power wipe at the end, and then hit the soap and water. Well, the problem in this instance is that for the last 20 of those 30 mins, I was asleep. I've dozed off in some odd places before, but the toilet?? I woke up and my legs were both completely asleep, so I had to shift my butt side to side to let the blood flow get back in there...then I stood up just in time for the pins and needles to hit, which is always fun.

I turned41 in May, and I guess I was sort of waiting for that one important moment that would just epitomize my transition to the "later" years of my life, and I think this may have been it. Anyone else have a story of when it first became clear that they'd hit the point of no return?

30 minutes on the toilet? I think the first time that happened to you, should have made you realize that you were getting old.

I have a pretty bad stigmatism in one eye and I've worn glasses since I was 6 so I didn't have to go through the whole reading glasses at 40. I have progressives and I love them.

Yeah, might have to look into that...progressives. Right now, I walk around the reading glasses, way down low on my nose, so I can see over them for distances...works okay, but I swear, it gives me an headache, constantly shifting my eyes back and forth.

Just in the last two months I feel like the eyes have gotten very noticably, worse. I can't live in denial on this issue any more. I used to have the reading glasses strictly for low-lighting situations, but now, the lighting doesn't matter...I just can't see **** right n front of my face...I thought it was becasue I am normally going on 4 hours of sleep every day and my eyes always feel tired...but now i think it is just the ravages of old age...I have a big family (6 sisters and a brother), and everyone, except my broter and I, had pretty bad eye-sight pretty early on...I was always the one who got called in to find a contact lens that was dropped on the floor...but now, diminishing eyesight, and chronic sore knees have taken all my super powers away...very humbling!

Oh man so many things…

When I said to my wife “those kids are playing their music way too loud”

When I catch myself saying things like “how could their parents let them leave the house wearing that?”

When a friend of mine saw a pic of me that showed the top of my head and said “What happened to your hair!?”

When I buy clothes for myself I always look to see whats on sale first instead of going to name brands

And lastly….

When having a cup of coffee and reading the paper on a Sunday morning sounds delightful

Edited by Canadian Bills Fan

When I said to my wife “those kids are playing their music way too loud”

When I catch myself saying things like “how could their parents let them leave the house wearing that?”

Give yourself a break, I started saying these things when I was 20.

I don't remember who said it first (might have been Darin), but you know you're old when the Playmate of the Month was born after you graduated high school.

After my kids graduated is not good.